Nomar/Leury platoon

zisk

Noticed that Leury and Nomar both have platoon splits that would dovetail nicely. Both guys are cheap and already on the roster.

Also, Leury could enter games in the later innings to compensate for Mazara defensively. I remember Sheets/Lowenstein in Baltimore

and together they out performed a lot of every day regulars. This would also free up money for more pitching. Is Rick smart enough of

a manager to actually do it?

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

Engel absolutely will be the platoon partner. He will also still spell Eloy in the 8th/9th defensively. This allows Leury to be the super utility for the team.

I will continue to hope we add a righty bench outfielder/utility so Engel can stay a defensive sub.

I'm amazed that there are still people who think Adam Engel deserves a role on an MLB team when the only thing he does well is run fast.

Sure, he "hit lefties well" last year, but if you really are placing that much weight on an 89 PA sample, don't be shocked next year when he regresses. He's .252/.298/.381 (83 wRC+) against lefties in his career.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bmags said:

Engel was quite good against LHP last year and is superior defensively. We have 26 spots this year so I think we are in a great spot.

Id imagine they really do allow Leury to try to acclimate to being backup IF more this year.

Agree-  Engel improved a lot with the bat last year. Another step up in improvement and he's a pretty good player.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Agree-  Engel improved a lot with the bat last year. Another step up in improvement and he's a pretty good player.

.687 OPS.  The guy shouldn’t be in consideration for any sort of platoon situation.  He can’t hit.  He’s a defensive sub at best.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 3