Bumgarner and AZ nearing 5 yr deal per Passan

bmags

3 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Yup. Plus it's not like Kuechel throws hard anyways. Way less worried about his arm long term.

I'm always worried about pitchers with a history of shoulder injuries. Especially those that don't throw hard. Both Keuchel and Ryu have a history of shoulder issues. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, fathom said:

Yes, can’t go after free agents and be scared of last year of their deal

It's not that I'm scared of the last year, it's that with higher floor low ceiling guys you aren't getting a ton of WAR in the beginning to make up for the investment being bad later. He's like a 2.5 win guy and then it just goes down from there. He's already in his 30s and doesn't strike out anyone. 

The plan was to get a 2 and a 4/5. Here, we have two 4/5s and no 2s or even 3s. 

I just expect a little more especially when Hahn says stupid stuff like dont look at Mazara in isolation look at what it allows us to do. Ok, I'm looking at what it allows you to do and I'm pretty damn sure you could have spent 50-60 on a pitcher even if you had signed an OF for another 50-60. So in my mind if you are gonna get 2 guys and one is DK, you still gotta get a 2, not Wood. Wood is your 5.

If you get DK for 50-60, then use the other 60 from Wheeler to buy a bad contract (NOT price) in exchange for getting a legit young controlled 2/3.

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm always worried about pitchers with a history of shoulder injuries. Especially those that don't throw hard. Both Keuchel and Ryu have a history of shoulder issues. 

If that's the case, you might as well worry about every pitcher in the game throwing a ball then. It's all a risk. 

Bumgarner got paid as a 10 win pitcher over the next 5 years. That's very reasonable for him. He wouldn't have been the best fit for this team, but for $17 million a year, it's a very reasonable deal. You get a guaranteed innings eating lefty whose floor is 2 WAR. That's better than everyone the Sox have right now besides Giolito. 

Edited by chw42

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

If that's the case, you might as well worry about every pitcher in the game throwing a ball then. It's all a risk. 

I know that pitching is an unnatural motion. I'm more concerned about those with shoulder issues than those with elbow issues. Most pitchers have one or the other. Elbow issues don't affect performance nearly as much. 

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

There would be a lot less pressure or frustration if the Sox would make a move already.  The second flier SP isn’t as time-sensitive since there are plenty available.

I don’t know why you think you can force the market onto your schedule like that. If Ryu or Keuchel is Hahn’s target, they’re intentionally not signing on the timeframe you propose and it makes no sense to pause until they’re ready to sign. This is what that looks like.

If they sign neither and make no impact trades, then the pressure is really on. But you have to wait for the offseason to unfold to know whether they did a good bad job.

1 minute ago, ScottyDo said:

I don’t know why you think you can force the market onto your schedule like that. If Ryu or Keuchel is Hahn’s target, they’re intentionally not signing on the timeframe you propose and it makes no sense to pause until they’re ready to sign. This is what that looks like.

If they sign neither and make no impact trades, then the pressure is really on. But you have to wait for the offseason to unfold to know whether they did a good bad job.

The only big target the Sox landed is one they pounced on early with a strong offer.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

5 minutes ago, ScottyDo said:

That doesn’t mean that’s how it’s going to work for all players or agents. Particularly Boras.

Just go after everyone. Keuchel. Ryu, Wood, Miley ,and McHugh and put McHugh and Wood in the BP if need be. No sense being picky about Ryu or Keuchel . Also don't care if you have to go to 2 years on Miley. Need pitching make offers that get some.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

There would be a lot less pressure or frustration if the Sox would make a move already for their higher tier SP target.  The secondary flier SP isn’t as time-sensitive since there are plenty available.

We have no idea how long Boars drags things out looking for the right deals.

Have to act now on Miley , Wood, McHugh to have some strength going into negotiation with Boras or even with other teams like Boston on Price. If you wait and sign no one that's when you look desperate especially at the rate some of these guys are being snatched up.

7 minutes ago, whitesoxbrad said:

I have liked Michel from the beginning, but why would he want to sign here.

Money, the same reason everyone else signs. The Sox just have to offer more than other teams, which they should be able to with such a low payroll and not spending for the past few years.  This isn’t difficult.

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Money, the same reason everyone else signs. The Sox just have to offer more than other teams, which they should be able to with such a low payroll and not spending for the past few years.  This isn’t difficult.

I also think the Sox will place more value on his groundball inducing abilities and durability than other teams.  He wouldn’t be a sexy addition by any means, but zero reason to go with a cheaper option if you can get him on a three year deal.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I also think the Sox will place more value on his groundball inducing abilities and durability than other teams.  He wouldn’t be a sexy addition by any means, but zero reason to go with a cheaper option if you can get him on a three year deal.

Now that Bumgarner is off the board, we've got Ryu and Keuchel left, but we have the White Sox, Dodgers, Angels, Twins, and maybe others still with pitching needs. Some of these teams will be missing.