Avi Garcia to Brewers, 2 years, 20 Million Total

JoshPR

• Tony changed the title to Avi Garcia to Brewers, 2 years, 20 Million Total
2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Please stop quoting me on things that have nothing to do with the topic.  

It has everything to do with your post.  You made a comment that 25% of posters wanted Avi back, insinuating that it would have been a bad move.  Instead, the Sox acquired an extremely similar hitter to Avi for the exact same number of years.  It’s quite ironic.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 2

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

It has everything to do with your post.  You made a comment that 25% of posters wanted Avi back, insinuating if as a bad move.  Instead, the Sox acquired an extremely similar hitter for the same number of years.  It’s quite ironic.

This thread doesn't have jack shit to do about Mazara.  I've discussed Mazara with you at length and have zero interest in doing it more, because you just ignore everything that doesn't fit into your box.  As I've told you several times, I don't love the Mazara move either, but he costs half of what Avi does on an AAV basis, requires half the commitment (Mazara can be non-tendered at no cost after 2020), is 4 years younger, and he rakes RHP, which Avi does not.  Mazara isn't an exciting move,but I like it more now than I did right after it happened.  His 2nd half of 2019 was pretty nice, and he could be a nice bounce back candidate.  I prefer him at the dollars and years many times more than committing close to $20M AAV to dogshit OFs in Ozuna and Castellanos.    

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 4

19 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Instead, we acquired the left handed version of Avi for two years.

I mean sure... If you don't look at potential.. Mazara is 24. Avi is 28 I think.. Mazara has and has always had far more potential than Avi..  But yeah, If Mazara remains the same player than sure, we acquired the left hand version... But Mazara offers way more potential and that isn't debatable.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

I mean sure... If you don't look at potential.. Mazara is 24. Avi is 28 I think.. Mazara has and has always had far more potential than Avi..  But yeah, If Mazara remains the same player than sure, we acquired the left hand version... But Mazara offers way more potential and that isn't debatable.

Avi probably has better tools than Mazara or at least more well rounded.

He's just had a hard time putting those tools together in a way that makes him more than an average player.

Happy for Avi. He now has so much money coming he'll have money to burn the rest of his life. I always like for seemingly good clubhouse guys and guys who appreciate wearing the Sox uniform hitting the money jackpot. He's One of my favorite Sox players of all time. I wonder if the front office reads this board and figured Sox fans despise Avi so much he never was on their wish list to return. Don't flame me, I'm just wondering the Sox aversion to bringing him in for 8 to 10 mill a year.

Obviously Avi loved Chicago. Now he's back in the area which is cool. Hell he could afford living in a highrise downtown and hiring a driver for the season if he so desired. I hope he mashes for the Brewers. Again, he's one of my all time faves right there with Chet Lemon, Big Hurt, guys like that.

BTW MLB Insider's tweet: "Avi Garcia to the #Brewers is a done deal. Both sides are finalizing a few things. Contract should be between 2-3 years and around 30-40 million."

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

He's just had a hard time putting those tools together in a way that makes him more than an average player.

If the guy could ever figure out how to lift the ball, he's a real good player. 

11 minutes ago, Quin said:

At half the cost and 4 years younger.

I believe Mazara’s arbitration number is estimated at around $6 million for 2020.  If that number jumps to $9 or $10 million for 2021, it isn’t that far off from Avi’s new deal. Also, Mazara’s age doesn’t matter very much with only two years of control, unless you are talking about extending him.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

5 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Obviously he's a plus athlete, but he has some real issues with his swing that probably aren't fixable. 

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I believe Mazara’s arbitration number is estimated at around $6 million for 2020.  If that number jumps to $9 or $10 million for 2021, it isn’t that far off from Avi’s new deal. Also, Mazara’s age doesn’t matter very much with only two years of control, unless you are talking about extending him.

Of course age matters... Unless you think it's impossible for 24 year old's to continue to develop. There's a big handedness issue that you're going to conveniently ignore as well. 

3 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Of course age matters... Unless you think it's impossible for 24 year old's to continue to develop. There's a big handedness issue that you're going to conveniently ignore as well. 

I meant in comparison to Avi’s age.  I don’t think Avi is exactly past his prime at age 28.

It also wouldn’t be a compete surprise for Avi to outperform Mazara next season.  He did last season  (2 WAR vs 0.7 WAR).  And Mazara’s handedness isn’t making up for a 1.3 WAR difference.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

I meant in comparison to Avi’s age.  I don’t think Avi is exactly past his prime at age 28.

It also wouldn’t be a compete surprise for Avi to outperform Mazara next season.  He did last season  (2 WAR vs 0.7 WAR).

Yeah, it's really common for 28 year old's to develop their game. It's probably as common as 24 year old's. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Avi was basically worse than Mazara until he began realizing his potential at age 26 and became an All-Star.

So yeah, age matters.