Wade Miley to Cinci

DirtySox

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

Well according to our metrics, a pitcher of Miley's quality is only worth 2 for $8M.  LOL.  I seriously don't know what everyone is wanting and how cheap it has to be.  Is Plan B as specific as Plan A was and Good 'ol Rick is gonna wait for just the perfect situation or just look in March and say "oops, I froze"?  Again, these guys are going for basically pennies on the dollar at this point.

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Falling right into Hahn’s trap of the notion that they will spend next offseason..  and then when next offseason rolls around and the Sox sign no one of note, they will surely spend it in the following offseason?

It goes on and on.

If $8 million dictates what you are saying, the Sox have no prayer anyways.

I just like to guard myself against every possible financial factor when it comes to cheering for this team. 

Even if means payroll 20 years down the line. 

Sadly 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Miley was stellar for 5 months of the season butstarted tipping his pitches so that's why his September was so bad.  He would have been a great get at that price.  Can't wait to hear how they fucked this one up. 

Sox offered 2/30 but Miley's daughter just got accepted to Ohio State.

Oh well! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Heads22 said:

I'm certainly not losing sleep over Wade Miley

I'm not either however out of all the guys that people are mentioning like Wood, McHugh etc. he was easily the best. Pitched in the AL so he faced the DH and at the end of August had a great 3.06 ERA through a little more than 150 IP. Yes he had a meltdown in Sept and finished with a 3.98 ERA but thats understandable considering in 2018 he had only pitched close to 81 innings.

I think it's a great deal for Cincy. Out of all the Free agent pitchers left i had them rated 1.Ryu 2. Keuchel 3 Miley and I think he was better than Keuchel last year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Miley was stellar for 5 months of the season butstarted tipping his pitches so that's why his September was so bad.  He would have been a great get at that price.  Can't wait to hear how they fucked this one up. 

I think fatigue had to be a factor too. He was already at 150 IP and he only pitched 80 the year before and fatigue could be a factor with tipping your pitches. When everyone else was saying Miley would get 1 year I was looking at his numbers and thought he could get 2/25-30. Of course I was called crazy but looking at numbers and seeing what Hamels got made me say that. Cincy getting him at what they did is a steal.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Not a Wade Miley fan at all so this doesn't bother me. 

May I ask why you aren't a fan of Miley? He pitched better than Keuchel last year, He could be the best pitcher after Ryu who was left and he got stolen for a mere $15M for 2 years.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

42 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Falling right into Hahn’s trap of the notion that they will spend next offseason..  and then when next offseason rolls around and the Sox sign no one of note, they will surely spend it in the following offseason?

It goes on and on.

If $8 million dictates what you are saying, the Sox have no prayer anyways.

What makes you think they will sign no one of note? They did this year.

13 minutes ago, ptatc said:

What makes you think they will sign no one of note? They did this year.

At the rate of one top free agent signing per offseason, the Sox won’t be competitive until 2023.  That simply isn’t good enough or quick enough accumulation of talent, when there are timelines for all of the young guys who aren’t locked up or may choose to go to free agency.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

May I ask why you aren't a fan of Miley? He pitched better than Keuchel last year, He could be the best pitcher after Ryu who was left and he got stolen for a mere $15M for 2 years.

I think it’s pretty unfair to overreact to Dallas’ 2019 season given his situation.  Also, the fact Miley could only land 2/$15M while Keuchel will certainly get $3/50M+ should tell you how major league GMs value these two guys.

42 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think it’s pretty unfair to overreact to Dallas’ 2019 season given his situation.  Also, the fact Miley could only land 2/$15M while Keuchel will certainly get $3/50M+ should tell you how major league GMs value these two guys.

Im not over reacting. I know Keuchel's situation from last year. I'm reacting to the indifference in the thread to Wade Miley . I know Wood is everybody's flavor of the off season but i preferred Miley by a lot. If there's an even or slightly less then even chance of Miley putting up better numbers than Keuchel next year he's a steal at $15M for 2 years. Keuchel might get $15M AAV for 3 or 4 years. Miey's last 2 years are very encouraging.

Fangraphs article from 2018 with the Brewers . The Brewers pitching coach then is now the Reds pitching coach. He might be the guy who dissected his pitch usage and told Miley to make changes to more effective pitches and how to better the mix.

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/pitcher-spotlight-wade-mileys-ridiculous-season/

It basically says he changed a lot for the better by changing which pitches he was using less and which ones he was using more. That's pretty much what the Astros did with Cole to make him better.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
additional info with link

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Now the biggest danger is Hahn giving overly generous four year deals to Ryu or Keuchel (that would be more defensible) or making some dramatic move for David Price out of desperation...just mystifying why the Sox are seemingly not connected to any of the pitching names remaining.

I don’t think there’s anything to worry about here.  Hahn doesn’t overpay for talent, even when his team’s needs are obvious.  He will simply resort to his usual strategy of dumpster diving for players we all know will be a waste of money like last offseason.

28 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Now the biggest danger is Hahn giving overly generous four year deals to Ryu or Keuchel (that would be more defensible) or making some dramatic move for David Price out of desperation...just mystifying why the Sox are seemingly not connected to any of the pitching names remaining.

In fairness, Hahn did say they work better below the radar so I think they are trying to keep a low profile.

At the end of the winter meetings he said they were gonna get something done in the "next couple of weeks, hopefully sooner rather than later"...so I expect something before Christmas.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

In fairness, Hahn did say they work better below the radar so I think they are trying to keep a low profile.

At the end of the winter meetings he said they were gonna get something done in the "next couple of weeks, hopefully sooner rather than later"...so I expect something before Christmas.

If he gets anymore under the radar we will be looking at the 2020 offseason to get someone.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm not either however out of all the guys that people are mentioning like Wood, McHugh etc. he was easily the best. Pitched in the AL so he faced the DH and at the end of August had a great 3.06 ERA through a little more than 150 IP. Yes he had a meltdown in Sept and finished with a 3.98 ERA but thats understandable considering in 2018 he had only pitched close to 81 innings.

I think it's a great deal for Cincy. Out of all the Free agent pitchers left i had them rated 1.Ryu 2. Keuchel 3 Miley and I think he was better than Keuchel last year.

Right. If Miley signs three weeks ago we don't blink an eye, but at this point the available options require sox execute perfectly when they are going against multiple teams for the remaining acceptable guys.

There is strategic difference when seeking to make a trade versus the acquisition of free agents.  A trade requires patience and is the end result of a  deliberative process.  In contrast,  free agency can become a trap for those seeking to gobble up assets before the next guy does like a shopper for plywood before a hurricane.

I would not be surprised if Hahn  has some intriguing proposals for a  possible trade or trades involving pitching and  that he is considering them.  It is too early for fans to panic.

As far as spending  money, there are plenty of ways to do that, like locking up some of the premium talent that we already have on long term deals.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, tray said:

There is strategic difference when seeking to make a trade versus the acquisition of free agents.  A trade requires patience and is the end result of a  deliberative process.  In contrast,  free agency can become a trap for those seeking to gobble up assets before the next guy does like a shopper for plywood before a hurricane.

I would not be surprised if Hahn  has some intriguing proposals for a  possible trade or trades involving pitching and  that he is considering them.  It is too early for fans to panic.

As far as spending  money, there are plenty of ways to do that, like locking up some of the premium talent that we already have on long term deals.

Sure, but which pitcher?   How much would you give Giolito, based on just one season of success?   Lopez is in the opposite situation from where he seemed to be a year ago.   So there’s realistically only four (total) options, and Lucas was one of the worst pitchers in baseball the previous year.   Cease or Kopech, it’s way too early to even consider.

That leaves Madrigal, Robert and Moncada.   Madrigal is the only one who wouldn’t break the bank.

Edited by caulfield12

16 minutes ago, tray said:

How does locking up our talent help us over the next four years when we already have control of these guys?  Don’t get me wrong, I want to keep these guys around for as long as possible, but I also want to take advantage of the current window where our core is still cheap.  Worrying about the way distant future in expense of the now (like we claimed with Machado) is a poor way to run any organization.