Wade Miley to Cinci

DirtySox

C - I don't know how much Gio has raised his value because of his awesome 2019, but I would rather sign him for the big money than some of the older pitchers like Ryu that are out there.  Gio clearly developed as pitcher so I discount his stats from earlier seasons.

I think the prospect of gambling a bit by signing unproven but potential stars like Madrigal and Robert to multi-tear deals is intriguing.  Moncada is already a stud so there would probably be not be any  home team discount. Nevertheless,  I would at least try to lock him up to a  long term deal.  That would be amazing., especially after a fifteen tear search for a decent replacement for Joe Crede. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, tray said:

C - I don't know how much Gio has raised his value because of his awesome 2019, but I would rather sign him for the big money than some of the older pitchers like Ryu that are out there.  Gio clearly developed as pitcher so I discount his stats from earlier seasons.

I think the prospect of gambling a bit by signing unproven but potential stars like Madrigal and Robert to multi-tear deals is intriguing.  Moncada is already a stud so there would probably be not be any  home team discount. Nevertheless,  I would at least try to lock him up to a  long term deal.  That would be amazing., especially after a fifteen tear search for a decent replacement for Joe Crede. 

We don't have 5 pitchers, they need to sign pitchers.  Allocating money for 3-4 years on a FA shouldn't impact extending any of these guys right now.

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How does locking up our talent help us over the next four years when we already have control of these guys?  Don’t get me wrong, I want to keep these guys around for as long as possible, but I also want to take advantage of the current window where our core is still cheap.  Worrying about the way distant future in expense of the now (like we claimed with Machado) is a poor way to run any organization.

I think the logic used in signing a guy like Eloy was controlling his cost while making him happy, all the while avoiding the uncertainty of the arbitration years.  Also, if you think a guy is going to be an absolute stud (like some is think Robert will be) you try to reel him in now while you can.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, tray said:

I think the logic used in signing a guy like Eloy was controlling his cost while making him happy, all the while avoiding the uncertainty of the arbitration years.  Also, if you think a guy is going to be an absolute stud (like some is think Robert will be) you try to reel him in now while you can.

The logic in extending Eloy was to buy out a free agent year and allow him to start the 2019 season on the south side.  I was all for that move (even if I think it’s the worst of Hahn’s pre-arb extensions), but it should have zero impact on our ability to go add talent via free agency to supplement the core.  If this becomes an either or thing, the rebuild is likely doomed for failure.

10 hours ago, steveno89 said:

Tick tock. Names keep being inked daily right now. Soon they will be left with only scraps. 

I’m starting to think that Hahn really does have a deal in place for David Price and he’s just waiting on the Sawks to throw in more cash. I can’t think of any other reason he’s not signing any of the guys left. 

52 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

I’m starting to think that Hahn really does have a deal in place for David Price and he’s just waiting on the Sawks to throw in more cash. I can’t think of any other reason he’s not signing any of the guys left. 

This would be a similar risk as if the Angels miss out on Ryu they might just come in and grab Price with Boston picking up less.

58 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

The longer the smoke lingers the greater the chance somebody comes in and overpays.

This off-season is playing out like last. 

• Like 1

Keep in mind that as a free agent you get to pick and choose where YOU want to go.  most free agents will take the comfort level compared to money.

you have to grossly overpay for pitchers to come here.  there are a few things the sox do not have working for them and i am sure it makes it hard for Hahn.

but i stay patient and still hope he gets some major league starters.  I always felt the only big option was Wheeler.  Ryu and Kuechel are not coming here unless we blow the competition out of the water on offers

1 hour ago, chetkincaid said:

please no.. all indications are the white sox would have to pay 66 million.  price can break down in year 1 and where is his motivation?  i'd rather take on archer instead

I agree with the above.  Hahn and the Sox have been so quiet it's almost a dead giveaway that he already has a trade in place but he's allowing his trade partner to make another move before the trade comes out.  Watch for Boston (or Texas) to make a move on their roster and then the trade announcement a day or two later.

Or here's a crazy theory.  Maybe Hahn missing on Wheeler was the last straw and he's being let go and no one (Kenny) is picking up the slack. It might explain why the sox are not rumored to be in on anybody left.                                     

14 hours ago, fathom said:

Just said earlier, trade for Price and sign McHugh

Does this option include praying to the high heavens?

14 hours ago, Heads22 said:

I'm certainly not losing sleep over Wade Miley

Nor am I, but at this point, I hope Hahn doesn't add any arms...Pass on just about everyone I see outside of fliers

Yuck

Hope, everyone remember when I warned us this off season isn't gonna be too wild

Just hope Hahn doesn't sell the Farm or invest in Ryu or Keuchel

Hoping Hahn and the FO dumps some money into extensions and see who bites (Kopech, Madrigal, Robert, Moncada), that'll actually make me happy

13 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

Speaking of Nova, he turns 33 next month and had a 2.0 WAR last year. Miley just turned 33 and had a 2.0 WAR last year. 

WAR, such a valuable statistic

Edited by ChiSoxJon

2 hours ago, roto said:

I agree with the above.  Hahn and the Sox have been so quiet it's almost a dead giveaway that he already has a trade in place but he's allowing his trade partner to make another move before the trade comes out.  Watch for Boston (or Texas) to make a move on their roster and then the trade announcement a day or two later.

Or here's a crazy theory.  Maybe Hahn missing on Wheeler was the last straw and he's being let go and no one (Kenny) is picking up the slack. It might explain why the sox are not rumored to be in on anybody left.                                     

No chance the White Sox actually fire an underachieving employee

Edited by ChiSoxJon

2 hours ago, roto said:

A trade with BOS for Price only would be a garbage result.

Signing Keuchel as our primary SP signing would be a garbage result.

Being forced to give Ryu  a 4 year deal because of poor planning and execution would be a garbage result.

Trading away key prospects or key pieces for a SP when we have tons of cash would be a garbage result.

Signing two Wood/Nova types on one year deals and extinguishing the 2020 season before it begins despite us having suffered for years and been told lies about spending would be a garbage result.

I will be absolutely SEETHING if any of these 5 things come to pass.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Being forced to give Ryu  a 4 year deal because of poor planning and execution would be a garbage result.

Trading away key prospects or key pieces for a SP when we have tons of cash would be a garbage result.

Signing two Wood/Nova types on one year deals and extinguishing the 2020 season before it begins despite us having suffered for years and been told lies about spending would be a garbage result.

you might want to start a meditation practice now.

5 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Would you be seething if nothing happened and we went into spring training as is?

I think you’re going to be seething either way. I can’t think of a plausible scenario where you won’t be seething to be honest. A lot of us are disappointed right now. 

3 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Would you be seething if nothing happened and we went into spring training as is?

I think you’re going to be seething either way. I can’t think of a plausible scenario where you won’t be seething to be honest. A lot of us are disappointed right now. 

Yes, I'd be SEETHING if nothing happened and we went into ST as is. 

The Sox should be using their low payroll to take a bad contract off someone's hands in exchange for a good young SP under control for many years. 

Or a three team deal where we take a bad contract off someone's ands, said someone sends good prospects to another team and the other team sends us the good young 2/3. 

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

The Sox should be using their low payroll to take a bad contract off someone's hands in exchange for a good young SP under control for many years. 

Or a three team deal where we take a bad contract off someone's ands, said someone sends good prospects to another team and the other team sends us the good young 2/3. 

Teams just don’t do salary dumps along with prospects as much as this site believes they do.  Teams are doing so well financially that very few are desperate to cut payroll.

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

That’s unlikely to happen with most teams until mid season now...with the obvious exception of the Red Sox and maybe the Diamondbacks listening on Ray.  

The Rockies are yet another team with no clear direction, so you have Gray there and Gonzales from the M’s as two more realistic possibilities.

Stroman, Porcello, Wacha and even Thor or de Grom could be on the market if the Mets fall far behind in such a competitive division.  The first three, at least, are all realistic gets.

Edited by caulfield12

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

@Y2Jimmy insinuating on Twitter earlier that Sox also had a “significant” offer out to Miley. But he wanted to be with former pitching coach. 

How did the Reds suddenly become so effective with pitching all of a sudden?

Gray returned to almost former form, with a 4.4 fWAR.  DeSclafani finally became a solid contributor.  Castillo looks like a future Cy Young Top 5 contender.

I guess the positive there is that beating up the Cubs is the second best alternative to guys like Miley ending up with other organizations when we're in dire need of reasonable back-end of the rotation production just to stabilize the rotation and provide some more veteran leadership.