Wade Miley to Cinci

DirtySox

44 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

How did the Reds suddenly become so effective with pitching all of a sudden?

Gray returned to almost former form, with a 4.4 fWAR.  DeSclafani finally became a solid contributor.  Castillo looks like a future Cy Young Top 5 contender.

I guess the positive there is that beating up the Cubs is the second best alternative to guys like Miley ending up with other organizations when we're in dire need of reasonable back-end of the rotation production just to stabilize the rotation and provide some more veteran leadership.

Reds pitching coach used to be Vanderbilt's pitching coach.  Had Gray in college.  In another post, I discussed how many of the college coaches learned how to communicate analytics to players in part because of smaller staffs.  I think it helps at the pro level that a coach is talking to you instead of a "nerd".

Let’s not forget that the Reds have gone all in on Driveline. A lot of the key Driveline practitioners and figures have been hired by the Reds in key FO/PD positions. For example Kyle Boddy, Driveline’s founder, is now their Pitching Coordinator/Minor league director of pitching initiatives. They’re on the cutting edge.