Red Sox discussing Betts trade with anyone who will take the bait

Sockin

I'm surprised the Tigers haven't already retired Loooouuuu Whitaker's number, on a side note. Great player back in the day. Lou and Trammel were the heart of that team for a long time, with some of the best teams Detroit ever put on the field. I absolutely hated seeing the Sox play the Tigers then.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can be updated to Padres and Red Sox again...

Apparently the Padres are willing to trade some big-time prospects AND Myers’ contract for Betts in 2020.  Myers salary helps as an offset for SD financially next season, SD would probably have to send some additional money along for 21/22 or really dig deep into their prospect vault to make it worthwhile.

Dennis Lim from The Athletic reported it first.

http://sports.yahoo.com/padres-pursuing-betts-110000843.html

Myers, Patino, Abrams and Trammell for Betts...that’s just too much for a one year rental, but it would be ballsy as hell on the part of Preller.  Could also cost him his job.

Edited by caulfield12

If i had to take a guess this has the Dodgers written all over it. Maybe it's not Betts, but I think they'll make a big trade like Lindor, Bryant, Betts. They have the ability to do so from excess prospect talent. They are in a crazy good position. 

I kind of hope it's not the Dodgers though - i want betts to hit FA just to see if the Sox could truly make a play. I'm still holding out hope. 

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Can be updated to Padres and Red Sox again...

Apparently the Padres are willing to trade some big-time prospects AND Myers’ contract for Betts in 2020.  Myers salary helps as an offset for SD financially next season, SD would probably have to send some additional money along for 21/22 or really dig deep into their prospect vault to make it worthwhile.

Dennis Lim from The Athletic reported it first.

http://sports.yahoo.com/padres-pursuing-betts-110000843.html

Myers, Patino, Abrams and Trammell for Betts...that’s just too much for a one year rental, but it would be ballsy as hell on the part of Preller.  Could also cost him his job.

There is no chance that Boston gets that type of prospect package for 1 year of Mookie Betts. He'd be gone already if they could. Maybe one of those plus lower ranked prospects. 

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It still saves them $13 million for this year though. 

Yes but it gives them an another financial albatross for the next few years. 

I can see why Preller would be willing to give up those prospects his seat is white hot, SD needs to be a 90 win team this year or else. 

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I can see why Preller would be willing to give up those prospects his seat is white hot, SD needs to be a 90 win team this year or else. 

Chaim Bloom was also in Tampa Bay when they acquired Wil Myers FWIW. 

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Preller gets at least through 2021...

They’re in the same division as the Dodgers, and they played well the first four months until the wheels fell off after Tatis went down. 

They also have Gore coming up at some point, possibly on O.D., but more likely he has to wait until May.