J.A. Happ

caulfield12

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Pro's

White Sox would get money back for taking his contract, which is $17 million for 2020

His 2.9 and 3.0 fWAR was followed up by just 1.3 in 2019, so getting him into AL Central and out of East...potential rebound candidate

Limited contract, expires in 2020

Gives veteran stability to the back end of the rotation, LH-edness without overpaying Keuchel/Ryu

Northwestern grad, local ties

Durable, not a fireballer...variation on young rotation guys in terms of stuff

Gets another $17 million contract with 2021 with 165 IP and 27 starts if he overachieves or bounces back to 2017/18 levels of performance (Yankees would have to agree to kick in $5-6 million?)

Wouldn't cost any major prospects...

Con's

Age, 37

The fact that this could be an irreversible decline at the end of his career after being productive through age 37

The fact that saving the Yankees money on Happ means they can reinvest it into Severino/Paxton/Tanaka (the latter two are free agents at the end of this season)

Would have to get some money back from the Yankees to offset his salary...based on subpar 2019 performance...how willing would the Yankees actually be to do this? 

In general, bailing out the Yankees on this deal could make them a stronger competitor for the Sox down the line (of course, just getting to the playoffs would be a major accomplishment for Sox, too early to think about W.S. or the Yankees being stronger)

Still far more preferable than gambling on David Price's health over a 3 year contract

I'd rather role the dice on Gio Gonzalez one a cheap, one year deal. If he bounces back he could help solidify the back end of our rotation. 

11 hours ago, GGajewski18 said:

Happ sucks.  Would rather have Price

I love short answers like this. Adds very little to the conversation in terms of thought process, reasoning, etc. Very twitter like response. 

I'd take Happ over Price, but would pass on both. Happ is a pretty big fly ball guy, and although Comiskey is better than NYY, it's still not ideal. At the price and age? I'd assume just pass. We should be focused on going after ground ball guys. Here were the top 24 in ground ball outs last year: (24 to include a little heartache)... the issue i Have with this front office is that some of these guys were available, and some at pretty okay prices this offseaon and it doesn't seem like Hahn knows or has access to stats like this sometimes...

Anderson could've been had on a short, cheap deal. Nova is still available (i know not a favorite), Alcantara can be traded for, Miley was out there. Perez actually intrigues me a bit. But i think the obvious one to me is Ryu who's career ERA is under 3 and probably only takes a 3/4 year deal to get done. Give him 4/84 and be done with it. 

1 Brett Anderson Oakland Athletics SP 269
2 Dakota Hudson St. Louis Cardinals SP 258
3 Stephen Strasburg Washington Nationals SP 255
4 Zack Greinke Houston Astros SP 244
5 Mike Leake Arizona Diamondbacks SP 237
5 Hyun-Jin Ryu Los Angeles Dodgers SP 237
7 Miles Mikolas St. Louis Cardinals SP 234
8 Patrick Corbin Washington Nationals SP 231
9 Ivan Nova Chicago White Sox SP 230
10 Masahiro Tanaka New York Yankees SP 229
11 Marcus Stroman New York Mets SP 227
12 Mike Soroka Atlanta Braves SP 223
13 Sandy Alcantara Miami Marlins SP 216
13 Adam Wainwright St. Louis Cardinals SP 216
15 Aaron Nola Philadelphia Phillies SP 215
16 Luis Castillo Cincinnati Reds SP 212
17 Noah Syndergaard New York Mets SP 207
17 Wade Miley Houston Astros RP 207
19 Eduardo Rodriguez Boston Red Sox SP 204
20 Marco Gonzales Seattle Mariners SP 201
20 Jose Berrios Minnesota Twins SP 201
22 German Marquez Colorado Rockies SP 200
23 Martin Perez Minnesota Twins SP 199
24 Zack Wheeler New York Mets SP 195

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

I love short answers like this. Adds very little to the conversation in terms of thought process, reasoning, etc. Very twitter like response. 

I'd take Happ over Price, but would pass on both. Happ is a pretty big fly ball guy, and although Comiskey is better than NYY, it's still not ideal. At the price and age? I'd assume just pass. We should be focused on going after ground ball guys. Here were the top 24 in ground ball outs last year: (24 to include a little heartache)... the issue i Have with this front office is that some of these guys were available, and some at pretty okay prices this offseaon and it doesn't seem like Hahn knows or has access to stats like this sometimes...

Anderson could've been had on a short, cheap deal. Nova is still available (i know not a favorite), Alcantara can be traded for, Miley was out there. Perez actually intrigues me a bit. But i think the obvious one to me is Ryu who's career ERA is under 3 and probably only takes a 3/4 year deal to get done. Give him 4/84 and be done with it. 

I predict we overpay for Marco Gonzalez due to us not signing anyone.

2 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

What are those numbers?

3 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

We need to pick up more than 1 SP this off season.  I have no problem if they would go sign Nova now as one of those...even if just to pitch against the Cubbies 😁

15 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Pretty sad if you look at it like that with Price and Happ.

It makes me sick to my stomach to relieve Boston of their financial burden so that they can turn around and get much better.  Nobody ever lines up to take the white Sox shitty contracts 

32 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I love that the White Sox position is to take the Yankee and Red Sox castoffs instead of trying to sign the guys that the Yankees and Red Sox want 

This right here. Why are we the second hand franchise? I don’t want the Yankees or the BoSox castoffs. And giving them salary relief so they can sign more players to beat your ass with makes it even worse. 

12 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Keppinger's contract was for 3yr/$12M.  

Reigning and undefeated fiscal responsibility champions.  :lolhitting

We've been conditioned to mourn these type of "losses". How about we take some risks and actually win a bit.

5 hours ago, wegner said:

We need to pick up more than 1 SP this off season.  I have no problem if they would go sign Nova now as one of those...even if just to pitch against the Cubbies 😁

Felix Diaz had one memorable start against the Cubs as well.  Hopefully he's not the White Sox Dominican ambassador or we'll never sign a pitcher out of there.

Edited by caulfield12