Eno Sarris Biggest Remaining MLB Needs And How To Fill Them - CWS

BFirebird

Eno Sarris had a good article on the Athletic today about what some teams should do with their biggest needs.  One of the teams he highlighted was our White Sox.  He also says that the Sox are a climbing team and has them at 17...I am guessing those are his rankings of teams?  He calls that impressive considering how poor the White Sox SP staff is.

Here is a snippet of what he thinks we should do:

The moves:

• Sign SP Dallas Keuchel to a four-year, $80 million contract
  • Sign SP Gio González to a one-year, $5 million contract

He says the Twins should sign Rich Hill & trade for Jon Gray and Murphy.  Four years seems like a LOT to me, but I guess it is the price of playing poker?  Better than trading for Price in my book.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

Eno Sarris had a good article on the Athletic today about what some teams should do with their biggest needs.  One of the teams he highlighted was our White Sox.  He also says that the Sox are a climbing team and has them at 17...I am guessing those are his rankings of teams?  He calls that impressive considering how poor the White Sox SP staff is.

The moves:

He says the Twins should sign Rich Hill & trade for Jon Gray and Murphy.  Four years seems like a LOT to me, but I guess it is the price of playing poker?  Better than trading for Price in my book.

That would be my version of the best the offseason could have been.

• Haha 3

I actually think 4/70 or so would be enough to get Keuchel signed.

With so many tier 3 starters getting signed over the last week or so, I don't get the impression that there are really a lot of suitors for Keuchel at this point at his supposed asking price. The Twins and Sox are the two that make the most sense.  I could see the Braves, Dodgers, Astros, and other teams maybe jumping in with 3 year offers, but I don't think any of them are going 4 years.

2 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I actually think 4/70 or so would be enough to get Keuchel signed.

With so many tier 3 starters getting signed over the last week or so, I don't get the impression that there are really a lot of suitors for Keuchel at this point at his supposed asking price. The Twins and Sox are the two that make the most sense.  I could see the Braves, Dodgers, Astros, and other teams maybe jumping in with 3 year offers, but I don't think any of them are going 4 years.

Twins don't want Keuchel, FWIW.  

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

4/$80M is scary.  I am sure that would get it done, but if the Sox were willing to go there, he'd have signed by now.  

I wonder if we'd be more likely to go there if Ryu was already off the board. It's scary to play the waiting game because you might miss out on both, but as long as there are two options available still, the Sox have no reason to grossly overpay for either one right now.

30 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

The moves:

I can't see Keuchel getting $20 million AAV, while Bumgarner received only $17 million

A three year deal would be ideal, I'm not sure what other teams are serious about Keuchel? 

Gonzalez as a fifth starter I would not hate at all. He's had a really solid career, and likely would not be expensive on a one year deal. 

Ink Taijuan Walker or Felix Hernandez to a minor league deal for depth? 

Edited by steveno89

13 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Ink Taijuan Walker or Felix Hernandez to a minor league deal for depth? 

I am not sure if Walker will be an milb guy, but I'd have to imagine the Sox will be a pretty popular choice among SP for milb deals.  They look at the rotation and see two giant openings on a young team with a chance to develop.  Seems like a good opportunity.  

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am not sure if Walker will be an milb guy, but I'd have to imagine the Sox will be a pretty popular choice among SP for milb deals.  They look at the rotation and see two giant openings on a young team with a chance to develop.  Seems like a good opportunity.  

And easy path to roster as the Sox have several on 40 man who will return to 60 day IL.  Some other teams may not want to risk someone on their 40.

I'm serious when i say this ... I'd give Keuchel 2/22 with a buy-out of like $2mm and a team option for another $12mm. That's it. I don't want him on my team in 2022 unless he really deserves it. 

Gio Gonzalez is fine as a warm body for me, but is interchangeable with others

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I'm serious when i say this ... I'd give Keuchel 2/22 with a buy-out of like $2mm and a team option for another $12mm. That's it. I don't want him on my team in 2022 unless he really deserves it. 

Gio Gonzalez is fine as a warm body for me, but is interchangeable with others

You can be serious about that offer but Keuchel won’t be.  This is the last big contract he is going to sign.  He is going to shoot for the highest total dollar amount, regardless of years or AAV.

44 minutes ago, Capital G said:

20 a yr for our 4th/5th starter when Bum got 17? I would not hate signing DK but at that price/length I'd rather just go with the bottom of the shelf scraps.

Fans shited all over the idea of Bumgarner at 4 years and now it's OK to hand that to a guy who doesn't miss bats in Keuchel?

Edited by HOFHurt35
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Fans shitted all over the idea of Bumgarner at 4 years and now it's OK to hand that to a guy who doesn't miss bats in Keuchel?

At least Keuchel is a ground ball machine.  Bumgarner is a flyball pitcher.  TERRIBLE fit for our ballpark.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, 2Deep said:

Can I just say that Felix Hernandez at this point in his career is absolute garbage.  The idea of him as a starting pitcher for CWS is just at bad as as the idea of Dylan Covey being in our rotation for next year.

If the Sox sign a Felix Hernandez for any role on this team, it will be obvious they aren’t serious about winning.

• Like 1