Eno Sarris Biggest Remaining MLB Needs And How To Fill Them - CWS

BFirebird

It seems like everyone has a problem with every option out there.

Lets recap:

Kuechel- Not good, not worth the money

Price- Expensive, not good

Ryu- Injury prone, no thanks

Trading prospects for someone better? No way! You have to hold on to Madrigal AND Vaughn

All aboard the Covey train, i guess

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BFirebird said:

Eno Sarris had a good article on the Athletic today about what some teams should do with their biggest needs.  One of the teams he highlighted was our White Sox.  He also says that the Sox are a climbing team and has them at 17...I am guessing those are his rankings of teams?  He calls that impressive considering how poor the White Sox SP staff is.

Here is a snippet of what he thinks we should do:

The moves:

• Sign SP Dallas Keuchel to a four-year, $80 million contract
  • Sign SP Gio González to a one-year, $5 million contract

At this point that's basically what they need to do.  Get 2 capable starters in here to take innings, relieve pressure from the young guys, etc.
No silly contrivances for guys who were studs 3 years ago.

• Like 1

Just now, wegner said:

3 years for 54 million for Dallas.  Like has been said before, he is a ground ball pitcher and a veteran presence.  Both of those things will work for the Sox and that contract will not cripple them with their $$ situation.  

I wouldn't have a single qualm in the world with a 3/$54M deal for Keuchel.  I just don't see it as super likely.  

3 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Lets recap:

Trading prospects for someone better? No way! You have to hold on to Madrigal AND Vaughn

Just now, wegner said:

3 years for 54 million for Dallas.  Like has been said before, he is a ground ball pitcher and a veteran presence.  Both of those things will work for the Sox and that contract will not cripple them with their $$ situation.  

I'm on board with three years for Keuchel around $15 million AAV. That is fair for the player and club. 

Talk of 4/$80 million is crazy town, no team is paying that. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Lets recap:

That all these options are bad is why we didn't want to be in the position of picking one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I wouldn't have a single qualm in the world with a 3/$54M deal for Keuchel.  I just don't see it as super likely.  

I do not see many clubs expressing interest in going four years on Keuchel. His market seems to be fairly slow, and I could see him taking a lesser deal. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I was just thinking that it would be more AAV than MadBum got plus I cannot think that Keuchel wants to wait around until the end of the offseason again.  I mean I am sure that he will sign before the season this year since he does not have a QO attached this year but I would not be surprised if he is getting a little antsy.

The article was pretty good. It pointed out that while the reasons for not liking keuchel was well known, he ranks at the top of the list for command for pitchers in the last three years, and the fact that he can locate his sinker and fastball in the same spots is why his effectiveness could be counted on.

An interesting pitcher was also on that list - Alex Wood.

I wouldn't get too hung up on his amount...I'm sure he's just compensating for those articles constantly being on the under for FA prices this year. 

23 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That all these options are bad is why we didn't want to be in the position of picking one.

This position sucks but it's where we are. I want this team to improve in 2020. I don't care about Jerry's money, or hoarding prospects (willing to trade them in the RIGHT deal). Priority one is not wasting Moncada and Giolito in my opinion. The Rangers balked at adding Mazarra to a Sale trade, now look. Wouldn't trade Madrigal or Vaughn for Price but for someone like Snell ? All day.

Edited by Orlando

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

The article was pretty good. It pointed out that while the reasons for not liking keuchel was well known, he ranks at the top of the list for command for pitchers in the last three years, and the fact that he can locate his sinker and fastball in the same spots is why his effectiveness could be counted on.

An interesting pitcher was also on that list - Alex Wood.

I wouldn't get too hung up on his amount...I'm sure he's just compensating for those articles constantly being on the under for FA prices this year. 

I honestly don't know why the Sox (or anyone for that matter) hasn't signed Wood yet. 

7 minutes ago, Orlando said:

This position sucks but it's where we are. I want this team to improve in 2020. I don't care about Jerry's money, or hoarding prospects (willing to trade them in the RIGHT deal). Priority one is not wasting Moncada and Giolito in my opinion. The Rangers balked at adding Mazarra to a Sale trade, now look. Wouldn't trade Madrigal or Vaughn for Price but for someone like Snell ? All day.

Yeah, but the Rays wouldn't trade Snell unless you were adding a Robert.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I'm on board with three years for Keuchel around $15 million AAV. That is fair for the player and club. 

Talk of 4/$80 million is crazy town, no team is paying that. 

I mentioned the 4/80 in reference to the Sox having to overpay for mid-top tier pitching.  There are many on here who want the Sox to spend the money they have just to spend money and acquire a 2, 3, or 4 starter.  We missed out on Wheeler which was a kick in the groin.

All of Boras's players have recieved  more then the value experts have projected because he is so damn good at what he does. Let Wheeler sign first, then he signed Strasburg, and Cole to contracts nobody believed they get. Then Baumgarner flies off the board and now the pickings of Ryu and Kuechel are left for teams like the White Sox, Twins, Blue Jays, Angels, Braves, Dodgers, Astros, to fight over.  He has simply driven there market up from the projections.  If Kuechel was proected at 3/39 what would it take to get him?

Remember the Sox have alot of things going against them when it comes to the pitching market.  If we really want out guy we would have to probably offer 4 years. If Hamels is AAV is 18 along with Happ, and Baumgarner is 17 AAV, with the last two left at there last pay day it seems that they could get very well paid.

I for one don't want Kuechel at 4/80 , I was just expressing the logic of what it would or could take.  If the Sox really want one of the 2 it has been setup beautifully by there agent

2 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

wonder if we'd be more likely to go there if Ryu was already off the board. It's scary to play the waiting game because you might miss out on both, but as long as there are two options available still, the Sox have no reason to grossly overpay for either one right now.

Kenny Williams is that you?  It's time to sign a damn starting pitcher already. 

24 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yeah, but the Rays wouldn't trade Snell unless you were adding a Robert.

A guy with one great year? Really? 

It's not like he has the track record of Chris Sale. 

He's also only been healthy for that one season. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I think Vaughn + Madrigal, maybe with a lottery pick would be about as good of a package as the Rays could hope for in return for Snell.  Not saying I'd be banging down their door to make the trade if I am Hahn, but it seems fair.  I am sure they'd want Robert, but they're not getting him.  

If the amount of suitors out there is real, as reported, then yes Keuchel gets near 4/80

Bumgarner brought down his own market because he was so intent on Arizona. It's reported he turned down higher total dollars elsewhere and I believe it.

Boras is not going to let that happen with Keuchel. 4/70 hopefully is what we are coming in strong with.

Edited by Princess Dye

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

A guy with one great year? Really? 

It's not like he has the track record of Chris Sale. 

He's also only been healthy for that one season. 

He's also under control for what, 4 more years, on a team that made the playoffs last year with no good reason to sell him for scraps? The Rays job isn't to help other teams out. The only way you get them to trade that guy is to do the trade-market equivalent of over-paying, so yeah start with Robert and then add minor pieces or you're not getting him.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He's also under control for what, 4 more years, on a team that made the playoffs last year with no good reason to sell him for scraps? The Rays job isn't to help other teams out. The only way you get them to trade that guy is to do the trade-market equivalent of over-paying, so yeah start with Robert and then add minor pieces or you're not getting him.

He has 3 years. 

Vaughn and Madrigal are not scraps. 

It took the perfect storm for the Sox to get the players they did in their trades. 

In most seasons and situations, Giolito, Moncada and Jimenez aren't available for anyone. 

It doesn't happen often that a team is in the middle of their window and has a top 10 prospect in the game. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Price/nice piece with no prospects worth anything

Dallas 

Ryu

Any will work and should be done.  The longer the Sox don't force the issue the greater the thought Covey/Fullmer starts the 5th game of the season.

I don't think any is ideal but something needs to be done to save face or it's 2 years of failure.  Grandel was nice but that's all, it was nice.