Eno Sarris Biggest Remaining MLB Needs And How To Fill Them - CWS

BFirebird

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

You can be serious about that offer but Keuchel won’t be.  This is the last big contract he is going to sign.  He is going to shoot for the highest total dollar amount, regardless of years or AAV.

Yep, plus demand for even halfway decent SP is currently far outstripping supply so Boras is in a good position to wait teams out. 

The whole problem is that 4th year.

1 hour ago, steveno89 said:

I do not see many clubs expressing interest in going four years on Keuchel. His market seems to be fairly slow, and I could see him taking a lesser deal. 

I still believe Keuchel is our primary target and will eventually sign with us in the neighborhood of 3 years for 55 million.  Boras will not hold out till the edge of the cliff again.

Just now, poppysox said:

I still believe Keuchel is our primary target and will eventually sign with us in the neighborhood of 3 years for 55 million.  Boras will not hold out till the edge of the cliff again.

At the start of FA or now?  Either way that's such a fail.  You...held out for one of the shittiest Boras clients?  For what exactly?

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

That won’t be enough.  Boras can and he will. History has proven this.

3 minutes ago, centerfieldsixers said:

Keuchel had multiple year contracts on the table. Scott told him to take them and Dallas said no he will try again this year

Ah, so he bet on himself.  Interesting to see how much it will work.  Thanks for that info.

But I must say, I do think that if you are a top of the line free agent, Boras is your guy.  Below that top tier, I'm not sure he is the best fit IMHO.

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The bottom line is there are no perfect solutions. The question is this: Do you go for a player that isn't a perfect fit and kill some of your flexibility or put bandaids on it for a year? 

Personally, I'd pick up some innings eaters. Nobody on the market is an impact player. They really need to hope Gio maintains, Cease and Lopez take big steps forward and 1 or 2 of Dunning, Lambert or Hansen rebounds from the injuries. Although maybe Hansen is just a lost cause at this point. 

Edited by TaylorStSox

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The bottom line is there are no perfect solutions. The question is this: Do you go for a player that isn't a perfect fit and kill some of your flexibility or put bandaids on it for a year? 

As painful as it is, I think you wait out the market on Ryu on 3/$60M or less or Keuchel at 3/$55M or less.  If someone gives them 4, you put bandaids on it for a year.  Trade something like Sheets or Gonzalez for Q, sign Wood or Teheran and call it a day.  

Don't particularly see why they haven't at least added the 1 year backend guy yet though.  Seems to me it may take them look a little less desperate.  

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

Personally, I'd pick up some innings eaters. Nobody on the market is an impact player. They really need to hope Gio maintains, Cease and Lopez take big steps forward and 1 or 2 of Dunning, Lambert or Hansen rebounds from the injuries. Although maybe Hansen is just a lost cause at this point. 

If Cease and to a lesser extent Lopez don't improve, whoever they sign doesn't matter anyway, even if it were Wheeler. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, poppysox said:

With Keuchel's experience last year...a bird in hand should have some appeal.

There was a compensation draft pick tied to signing him last year.  That is why no one wanted to pay him.  This time around, that no longer applies.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/braves-dallas-keuchel-slams-the-concept-of-draft-pick-compensation-attached-to-free-agents-and-he-has-a-point/

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

As painful as it is, I think you wait out the market on Ryu on 3/$60M or less or Keuchel at 3/$55M or less.  If someone gives them 4, you put bandaids on it for a year.  Trade something like Sheets or Gonzalez for Q, sign Wood or Teheran and call it a day.  

Don't particularly see why they haven't at least added the 1 year backend guy yet though.  Seems to me it may take them look a little less desperate.  

The Cubs are not going to just give him away to the Sox, certainly not after losing the original Q deal by so much...

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The Cubs are not going to just give him away to the Sox, certainly not after losing the original Q deal by so much...

Just a suggestion.  A guy on a market rate deal for 1 season doesn't exactly have a boatload of value either.  But yah, I agree...the Cubs aren't going to give him away.