Way past their prime as Pale Hose

wegner

I had brought up in another thread remembering Steve Carlton in a White Sox uniform and it got me thinking about other players who came to the Sox at the end of their careers.  So I thought I would start a thread to get other fan's "favorites".

Now I am not saying all these guys were great but they were certainly better earlier in their careers.  The 3 guys that immediately came to mind for me (and that I actually witnessed playing live while I was at a game on the South Side) were:

George Foster

Rob Dibble 

John Kruk

p.s.  I do not bring up Manny Ramirez because I refuse to believe that whoever that guy was that the Dodgers sent over who struggled to get the ball out of the infield was THE Manny Ramirez.

I look forward to hearing about other's "fond memories"

6 minutes ago, wegner said:

I had brought up in another thread remembering Steve Carlton in a White Sox uniform and it got me thinking about other players who came to the Sox at the end of their careers.  So I thought I would start a thread to get other fan's "favorites".

Now I am not saying all these guys were great but they were certainly better earlier in their careers.  The 3 guys that immediately came to mind for me (and that I actually witnessed playing live while I was at a game on the South Side) were:

George Foster

Rob Dibble 

John Kruk

p.s.  I do not bring up Manny Ramirez because I refuse to believe that whoever that guy was that the Dodgers sent over who struggled to get the ball out of the infield was THE Manny Ramirez.

I look forward to hearing about other's "fond memories"

Ken Griffey Jr

Andruw Jones

Jose Canseco

Robbie Alomar 

Pretty much the majority of Kenny Williams’ veteran acquisitions...

Roberto Alomar

Sandy Alomar Jr.

Carl Everett

Jose Canseco

Ken Griffey Jr.

Omar Vizquel

Darin Erstad

Mark Kotsay

Jimmy Rollins

Andruw Jones

Juan Pierre

Kevin Youkilis

James Shields

Edited by Moan4Yoan

We've been doing this for a century. Chief Bender, Johnny Evers, and Red Ruffing are all HOFers who had goofy stints with us at the ends of their careers. In the first two cases, these stints came years after they last played.

It's a southside tradition!

• Love 1

Just now, MiddleCoastBias said:

Lots of good names in here.

Has no one said David Wells yet? I'll say David Wells.

And does Bartolo Colon count even though he has appeared to defeat time?

Since I started this thread I will rule that everyone counts except Minnie Minoso....Minnie is off limits for me 😁

3 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Lots of good names in here.

Has no one said David Wells yet? I'll say David Wells.

And does Bartolo Colon count even though he has appeared to defeat time?

Wells is a funny one.  Wins 20 games with Toronto, next year comes to the Sox, stinks, then goes on to win 19 and 15 the next two years in NY. Then 12 with San Diego and 15 with Boston before really falling off.  I think the Toronto GM jinxed him due to Sorotka being damaged goods.

Just now, jasonxctf said:

Wells is a funny one.  Wins 20 games with Toronto, next year comes to the Sox, stinks, then goes on to win 19 and 15 the next two years in NY. Then 12 with San Diego and 15 with Boston before really falling off.  I think the Toronto GM jinxed him due to Sorotka being damaged goods.

Bit of a ambivalent/hate relationship from me for Wells...he stunk here but supposedly helped mentor Buehrle so there is that.