Jump to content
Sleepy Harold

White Sox sign Gio Gonzalez

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Struggling is struggling, unless his ERA is inflated due to some uncommon fluke. Sox are in a position to compete next year and they should not move Gio to the pen in favor of Cease in the scenario I mentioned.

Cease got destroyed in the 1st and 2nd innings last year and would calm down.  If he can stop giving up 4 runs in the 1st inning hell be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Struggling is struggling, unless his ERA is inflated due to some uncommon fluke. Sox are in a position to compete next year and they should not move Gio to the pen in favor of Cease in the scenario I mentioned.

I'm all for competing now and I feel it's overdue.

However, IMO Dylan Cease has ace potential and compromising his development to compete now would be a horrible decision. Lopez is a totally different story. He's been given chance after chance the last few years. It's put up or shut up time for him. If he struggles once again in the first month or two, I wouldn't hesitate to put Lopez in the pen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sarava said:

I'm all for competing now and I feel it's overdue.

However, IMO Dylan Cease has ace potential and compromising his development to compete now would be a horrible decision. Lopez is a totally different story. He's been given chance after chance the last few years. It's put up or shut up time for him. If he struggles once again in the first month or two, I wouldn't hesitate to put Lopez in the pen.

Cease’s issues actually started in AAA, where his WHIP, BB% and BAA are all similar to his 70+ innings of work at MLB, so it is not as if he doesn’t have anything to work on at AAA either. If he throws another 50 innings and shows no progression at all, I’m fine with sending him back down to work on his game for a few months and call him back up when there is an opening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cease’s xFIP actually suggested he was pretty unlucky and was closer to 4.4.  I think he’ll be fine and I would be surprised if he didn’t have a good amount of leash this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Cease’s issues actually started in AAA, where his WHIP, BB% and BAA are all similar to his 70+ innings of work at MLB, so it is not as if he doesn’t have anything to work on at AAA either. If he throws another 50 innings and shows no progression at all, I’m fine with sending him back down to work on his game for a few months and call him back up when there is an opening.

The Sox are not competing this year, he can figure it out at the major league level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, soxfan3530 said:

I they were able to sign Keuchel and maybe Encarnacion to a 1-year deal, how would people feel about this off-season honestly? 

Considering how the offseason was going for the sox I would think most people should be pleased. Should give the sox a chance to compete on the central for the playoffs.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

 

Nice find.  I was wondering how they worked together.  It goes both ways, Grandal probably put in a good word.  Also, Gio probably liked throwing to Grandal or he could have gone elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

 

It's likely Grandal had input since right after the trade Hahn said Grandal was giving advice on who he likes . I know Hahn might not go overboard on giving him credit but glad to know Grandal's presence was instrumental in Double G coming here. Or maybe it was the money too. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's likely Grandal had input since right after the trade Hahn said Grandal was giving advice on who he likes . I know Hahn might not go overboard on giving him credit but glad to know Grandal's presence was instrumental in Double G coming here. Or maybe it was the money too. :P

Curious to see what Grandal thinks of Ryu?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Curious to see what Grandal thinks of Ryu?

I bet Grandal thinks Ryu is a great pitcher if he could stay healthy.  Pretty much what every person in baseball thinks.  I hope we take our best shot with him...if we win that gamble he's a terrific pickup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Struggling is struggling, unless his ERA is inflated due to some uncommon fluke. Sox are in a position to compete next year and they should not move Gio to the pen in favor of Cease in the scenario I mentioned.

Unless he is like god awful, I think the Sox will give Cease all of 2020 in the rotation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Still no word on the $$$ ? 

 

 

Not yet.  Also surprised nothing has leaked on that, but I would be surprised if its more than $6M.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

You will be disappointed.

Okay, I’ll play:  if they are hell-bent on competing this year, how come Kopech, Robert, and Madrigal are all starting in the minors?  And we know that before Soxfest.  If they compete, it’s a bonus.  To them, it’s the final year of the rebuild.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Okay, I’ll play:  if they are hell-bent on competing this year, how come Kopech, Robert, and Madrigal are all starting in the minors?  And we know that before Soxfest.  If they compete, it’s a bonus.  To them, it’s the final year of the rebuild.

Um...because it would be silly to burn a year of team control for like 2 weeks worth of games for Robert/Madrigal, and in Kopech’s case, it makes sense to start him of slowly in the minors considering he’s coming off a major surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Um...because it would be silly to burn a year of team control for like 2 weeks worth of games for Robert/Madrigal, and in Kopech’s case, it makes sense to start him of slowly in the minors considering he’s coming off a major surgery.

Those are not competitive reasons, they’re financial ones.  I do understand why they are doing it, but you can’t argue it improves this year’s win total.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

Those are not competitive reasons, they’re financial ones.  I do understand why they are doing it, but you can’t argue it improves this year’s win total.

Even if you project Robert and Madrigal to be 4 WAR players in their rookie seasons (which is incredibly generous), and assume replacement level players are replacing them in the meantime, we're talking about less than 1 win during that timeframe.

Punting a year of control on Robert and Madrigal for a couple weeks of games is so incredibly shortsighted at this point.  Try to take the long view on things.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Okay, I’ll play:  if they are hell-bent on competing this year, how come Kopech, Robert, and Madrigal are all starting in the minors?  And we know that before Soxfest.  If they compete, it’s a bonus.  To them, it’s the final year of the rebuild.

Starting them off in the minors for the first month or so does not prevent Sox from competing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Those are not competitive reasons, they’re financial ones.  I do understand why they are doing it, but you can’t argue it improves this year’s win total.

They’re not mutually exclusive. You can be competitive and financially cautious (as related to team control) at same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

They’re not mutually exclusive. You can be competitive and financially cautious (as related to team control) at same time.

You can not have a $100M payroll, and be competing year in  and year  out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Starting them off in the minors for the first month or so does not prevent Sox from competing.

It kinda does. Eloy was offered a contract at the end of 2018 season, and he balked, so the Sox kept him down. What would of happened to him this past season, if he would of had 100-200 ABs in 2018?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cashman said:

It kinda does. Eloy was offered a contract at the end of 2018 season, and he balked, so the Sox kept him down. What would of happened to him this past season, if he would of had 100-200 ABs in 2018?

That’s not apples to apples. You’re talking about giving some 200 ABs and a taste of big leagues and an off season to work on kinks vs calling up someone early by a month at the start of the season. How many wins less would Sox have last year if Eloy started the first month in the minors? 1,2? If that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cashman said:

You can not have a $100M payroll, and be competing year in  and year  out.

Teams like the Rays and A's are able to, but that's because they have smarter front offices and are better at player development than the Sox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×