White Sox sign Gio Gonzalez

Sleepy Harold

Why does Gonzalez not get a better contract? Obviously he isn't a top of the rotation guy anymore but similar pitchers seem to get more. Is it because of his age and size? Little pitchers have always been discriminated against, but he has kept his performance at a fairly decent level. It is almost like the consensus is he is going to fall off a cliff.

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Why does Gonzalez not get a better contract? Obviously he isn't a top of the rotation guy anymore but similar pitchers seem to get more. Is it because of his age and size? Little pitchers have always been discriminated against, but he has kept his performance at a fairly decent level. It is almost like the consensus is he is going to fall off a cliff.

Likely his age (34) and low number of innings pitched last year (87.1).  He hit the injured list with the Brewers in June with dead arm.  But for what could be 1/$6 or 2/$13 million dollars, this deal looks way better than the Nova acquisition last year.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Several  teams are reportedly in on Ryu and Keuchel including the Angels.   Given the current market for premium starting pitchers, and Boras representation,  it will probably take a  substantial overpay (i.e., 4/80)  to land one of them. Then  of course there is always the possibility that you make the highest Offer and they Wheeler you.

18 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

People have been waiting on that dude to fall off a cliff for like 4 years it's super weird. 

Edited by mqr

41 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Hes painful, but he knows what hes doing out there. He doesnt get deep into games - he never really did - and he had shoulder issues last year. Shoulder issues are scary and he came back strong but hes not getting younger.

It's funny because Gio was kind of Robbie Ray before Robbie Ray. Ray doesnt get deep into games, walks a ton of guys but k's people.

Gio really is effectively wild at this point in his career - he doesnt give you a lot to hit.

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Now use all the money saved on Mazara and Gio and throw it at Ryu/Keuchel.  I’m sure Hahn can wait on relief pitching and a bench bat and still find some decent cheap options.

I don't know what it would cost, but I'd rather them trade for Jon Gray if it doesn't cost Vaughn, Madrigal, Kopech or Cease. Jon Gray has a very similar profile to Wheeler, and who knows how good he can be if he gets the hell out of Coors Field. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

25 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't know what it would cost, but I'd rather them trade for Jon Gray if it doesn't cost Vaughn, Madrigal, Kopech or Cease. Jon Gray has a very similar profile to Wheeler, and who knows how good he can be if he gets the hell out of Coors Field. 

https://milehighsports.com/rockies-would-be-foolish-to-trade-jon-gray-this-offseason/

56 minutes ago, bear_brian said:

I have the current payroll at $90M. If we can assume a top of $130M, that should give us enough money for Ryu/Keuchel, a good hitter, and at least one good RP.

I still would love a Price / Benintendi trade over a Ryu / Keuchel signing, if it’s reasonable.  I still wouldn’t give up any names greater than Collins and Rutherford and Boston would also have to send a lot of cash back.

Hahn could improve the rotation, lineup (and DH spot), and outfield defense, all in one move.  Then, just add a reliever or two.  Sox win the division.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I still would love a Price / Benintendi trade over a Ryu / Keuchel signing, if it’s reasonable.  I still wouldn’t give up any names greater than Collins and Rutherford and Boston would also have to send a lot of cash back.

Hahn could improve the rotation, lineup (and DH spot), and outfield defense, all in one move.  Then, just add a reliever or two.  Sox win the division.

Don’t know if it’s realistic or not, but if the Sox could get Price for like 3/60 after Boston eats some of his contract while still getting Benintendi, I’d be all over that assuming Madrigal/Vaughn aren’t in the deal.

17 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Don’t know if it’s realistic or not, but if the Sox could get Price for like 3/60 after Boston eats some of his contract while still getting Benintendi, I’d be all over that assuming Madrigal/Vaughn aren’t in the deal.

They're not going to do that.   Better off hoping for Benintendi to rebound. If they have a feeling Betts is gone regardless, there's much less pressure to force a deal on their part. 

21 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They're not going to do that.   Better off hoping for Benintendi to rebound. If they have a feeling Betts is gone regardless, there's much less pressure to force a deal on their part. 

You may need to read up more on luxury tax penalties.  It gets worse from the first year a team is over, to the second, and to the third.  The penalties get pretty harsh...

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/red-sox/mlb-rumors-red-sox-are-track-pay-over-13-million-luxury-tax

I wouldn’t mind taking Ian Desmond’s remaining $23M contract along with Gray for Rutherford and someone like Flores. Gray is the get obviously with higher upside than Ryu or Keuchel.

Desmond has been a negative WAR player each of the last 3 years so Rox would be trilled to get rid of that contract and free up an OF spot for Sam Hilliard. But he’s also incredible effective against lefties, posting 131 and 149 OPS+ against them over the last 2 years. He could be easily step in as the platoon partner for Collins and Mazara.

• Like 1