White Sox sign Gio Gonzalez

Sleepy Harold

I maintain my stance, this is a fine signing for the back-end rotation. It's a warm body, probably $5-8mm and he provides decent production. I'll take it. Now go sign Alex Wood or Ryu and please for the love of God bring in something useful in RF (Mazara at DH). 

Just now, HOFHurt35 said:

For the 1,001th time, HAVE THE WHITE SOX OFFICIALY SAID THIS? 

Officially? No they cannot do that as that would provide strong support for a grievance filed later. They can suggest that he will be heading to AAA but they also have to say something about it depending on spring training or his innings or whatever. They cannot issue that firm statement until spring training. 

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Hahn has said it without explicitly saying it. It's pretty obvious through context. Don't expect Kopech up until after the draft in June, or Memorial Day Weekend at the earliest. He needs to be down for 45 days to get the year back, and they're going to stretch it out a bit longer to avoid a possible grievance. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

They're never going to officially say this until they option him to the minors in March.  So no.  But the people in charge have alluded to it many times.  So yah, Kopech is going to be in AAA.  Stop penciling him into your OD rotations.  

5 minutes ago, daggins said:

I very much doubt he will be back that late. Probably in May.

Memorial Day at the earliest. He needs to be down 45 days to get the year back. I'd expect him down a week or two past that. Sometime between Memorial Day weekend and the Draft is my guess. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal

·

54s

Free-agent right-hander Julio Teheran in agreement with #Angels on one-year, $9M contract, source tells The Athletic. Pending physical. First with agreement:

@JeffPassan

Holy shit, thank god we didn't sign that deadbeat to a 9m Deal. 

Seems like all these secondary options are getting money in this range.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

They're never going to officially say this until they option him to the minors in March.  So no.  But the people in charge have alluded to it many times.  So yah, Kopech is going to be in AAA.  Stop penciling him into your OD rotations.  

OK even then,  why would you hang out a $20 million annual contract to Ryu/Keuchel/Price if you know at some point Kopech will be a part of this rotation? 

Or are folks still rooting for Lopez to fail? 

I think the Sox will get a disposable 2nd veteran here shortly to go with Gio.  

OK even then,  why would you hang out a $20 million annual contract to Ryu/Keuchel/Price if you know at some point Kopech will be a part of this rotation? 

No one is rooting for Lopez to fail, but we can't count on all of our pitchers being good next season. And if they are all good, that is a great problem to have. 

Because Kopech is Gio's replacement?  It's a 1 year deal.

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Having too many SP is a good problem to have and certainly one the Sox will be happy to address if need be.  Guys get hurt.  Guys are ineffective.  Shit happens.  

But I do think you pretty much hit the nail on the head on why the Sox aren't super keen on backing up the truck for a long term deal for sketchy long term assets like Ryu and Keuchel.  

• Like 1