White Sox sign Gio Gonzalez

Sleepy Harold

I’m pretty sure the only two knocks on Gio is that he gets a little wild and will walk some guys and also that he was pretty much a 4 to 5 inning pitcher with the Brewers.  But the Brewers handled Gio well and threw in their nasty bullpen before opposing batters saw him too many times.  That’s easy to do when you have a great bullpen.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

In all seriousness, I’m happy if the deal doesn’t exceed 1/$7M. We paid Nova $9M to eat innings last year, and Gio is more than just a Nova replacement.

I’m fine with the signing but just wanted to point out this really isn’t an upgrade from Nova, at least as far as the projections are concerned. Projections have Gio at 1.5 fWAR in 2020 and Nova produced 2.0 fWAR in 2019.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I’m pretty sure the only two knocks on Gio is that he gets a little wild and will walk some guys and also that he was pretty much a4 to 5 inning pitcher with the Brewers.  The Brewers handled Gio well and threw in their nasty bullpen before opposing batters saw him too many times.

NL IPs are sometimes a skewed stat based on their dumb ass non DH rule. 

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’m fine with the signing but just wanted to point out this really isn’t an upgrade from Nova, at least as far as the projections are concerned. Projections have Gio at 1.5 fWAR in 2020 and Nova produced 2.0 fWAR in 2019.

And guess what Nova’s steamer projection is?

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And FG projects Nova at 1.3 fWAR for 2020.  WAR is a counting stat - and they project Gio to throw 150 IP.  Nova pitched nearly 200 last year.  FG has Nova at 165 IP on the 1.3 fWAR projection.    So, in other words, they prefer Gio.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

And FG projects Nova at 1.3 fWAR for 2020.  WAR is a counting stat - and they project Gio to throw 150 IP.  Nova pitched nearly 200 last year.  FG has Nova at 165 IP on the 1.3 fWAR projection.    So, in other words, they prefer Gio.  

My comparison was 2019 Nova vs 2020 Gio since 2019 Nova is who he is replacing correct?

4 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

And guess what Nova’s steamer projection is?

4?....Never mind, I have no idea what a steamer projection is.  I always just guess on SoxMath so don't mind me.

Edited by wegner
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not to mention looking at 3 year history, one is clearly a superior pitcher.

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

My comparison was 2019 Nova vs 2020 Gio since 2019 Nova is who he is replacing correct?

STEAMER more often than not under-projects 4/5th starter types, take it with a grain of salt.

BTW, Nova 2019 STEAMER? 0.8.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

39 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

They’re no longer convincing that they’re trying to win as a top priority. Priorities 1-5 are maximizing profits while providing a glimmer of hope. You can’t really be upset about this signing but nobody is excited about it.

Tired old saw.

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Not really.

2019 => 2020

Giolito => Giolito

Lopez => Lopez

Nova => Gonzalez

Cease plus pile of suck => Cease

Rodon plus pile of suck => ? Plus Kopech

at least that’s how I see it. Just have to hope for no injuries because then we’re back to pile of suck as the replacement...

56 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is a move I really don't like for the 2nd starter spot, but in reality it's probably not much worse or better than any of the other bums.

Basically holding down a rotation spot until Kopech comes up. Holding down a roster spot until Rodon is ready. (Assuming of course no injuries or other reasons we may need him).

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

2019 => 2020

Giolito => Giolito

Lopez => Lopez

Nova => Gonzalez

at least that’s how I see it. Just have to hope for no injuries because then we’re back to pile of suck as the replacement...

It's not that linear. Dane Dunning, Kopech and Rodon will all likely be available at some point. Stiever as well to a lesser extent. Gonzalez is insulation against having to find a guy off the street. Which now seems like it's unlikely to happen. 

Hopefully, he’s replacing the Covey/Detwiler/Santiago innings and not Nova.  The post-Rodon-injury 5th starter was such a black hole that anyone is an improvement and Gio figures to be a significant improvement.  Be interesting to see if they get anyone else or roll with Covey/Detwiler until Kopech is miraculously “ready” on June 1.

27 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

For the 1,001th time, HAVE THE WHITE SOX OFFICIALY SAID THIS? 

i asked that question too but two brothers of ours from this board said hahn said it at a podcast in August and they backed each other up.  I didnt like the idea at first because why waste innings and starts, but the more I read the more it makes sense even though i still hate the idea and wish i was right

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

2019 => 2020

Giolito => Giolito

Lopez => Lopez

Nova => Gonzalez

He's not a direct replacement for Nova because he's not going to be in the rotation all year.  

1 minute ago, mqr said:

It's not that linear. Dane Dunning, Kopech and Rodon will all likely be available at some point. Stiever as well to a lesser extent. Gonzalez is insulation against having to find a guy off the street. Which now seems like it's unlikely to happen. 

I’ve got Kopech in there. I’m not expecting much of anything from Dunning or Rodon in 2020.