White Sox sign Gio Gonzalez

Sleepy Harold

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’ve got Kopech in there. I’m not expecting much of anything from Dunning or Rodon in 2020. 

They realistically SHOULD be signing or trading for a decent SP upgrade as well.

Lucas

???

Cease

Lopez

Gio

To start with.  Then somewhere after a couple months Kopech takes Gio's spot.  We also have Rodon.  So I'm assuming he is going to be more of a swingman than anything as long as we don't get a bad injury.

It makes signing Ryu more bearable if nothing else.

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

And FG projects Nova at 1.3 fWAR for 2020.  WAR is a counting stat - and they project Gio to throw 150 IP.  Nova pitched nearly 200 last year.  FG has Nova at 165 IP on the 1.3 fWAR projection.    So, in other words, they prefer Gio.  

That's not so simple. For those innings Gio won't pitch, who do you propose pitching them?

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You dislike this?  Way better than most of the alternatives for the 5th starter spot like Nova.  Assuming it’s a one year deal I’m a big fan of this.

Yes, definitely better than Nova...  as long as Hahn is still in on Ryu/Keuchel.

Surprised anyone would think it would be anything but a one year deal.  Gio is 34.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You dislike this?  Way better than most of the alternatives for the 5th starter spot like Nova.  Assuming it’s a one year deal I’m a big fan of this.

I can see you tried just reading the 1st few posts then commenting instead of your usual way of reading the whole thread.  LOL you get burned either way when you are late to the news.

Fathom already said it's better upon review of his stats.  I was going to suggest he then delete his 1st post , decided not too . Oh well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

How anyone could be mad about this move is just so silly.  

I really hope no one is mad about this.  He was one of the better 5th starter options available and provides more certainty than other interesting guys like Wood & Walker.  This may be a reach, but this signing makes me think that Ryu might be in play.  Adding stability at the back-end of the rotation allows you take on more risk with the #2 spot.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I can see you tried just reading the 1st few posts then commenting instead of your usual way of reading the whole thread.  LOL you get burned either way when you are late to the news.

Fathom already said it's better upon review of his stats.  I was going to suggest he then delete his 1st post , decided not too . Oh well

I know I just did the same thing but decided to hold offfrom posting  until I read it all this time.  Lol

Edited by smellysox

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I really hope no one is mad about this.  He was one of the better 5th starter options available and provides more certainty than other interesting guys like Wood & Walker.  This may be a reach, but this signing makes me think that Ryu might be in play.  Adding stability at the back-end of the rotation allows you take on more risk with the #2 spot.

If a team offers Ryu 4 years, it won’t be the Sox.  I think Keuchel is more likely due to him being younger and having less of an injury history than Ryu.

But there is no excuse not to sign one of them.  Mazara is cheap and Gio will be $5 to $10 million.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

37 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

They realistically SHOULD be signing or trading for a decent SP upgrade as well.

Lucas

???

Cease

Lopez

Gio

To start with.  Then somewhere after a couple months Kopech takes Gio's spot.  We also have Rodon.  So I'm assuming he is going to be more of a swingman than anything as long as we don't get a bad injury.

It makes signing Ryu more bearable if nothing else.

pa·tience

/ˈpāSHəns/

noun

• 1.the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset:"you can find bargains if you have the patience to sift through the dross"synonymsforbearance, tolerance, restraint, self-restraint, resignation, ... moreantonymsimpatience
  • 2.any of various forms of card game for one player, the object of which is to use up all one's cards by forming particular arrangements and sequences; solitaire.

3 minutes ago, centerfieldsixers said:

pa·tience

/ˈpāSHəns/

noun

• 1.the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset:"you can find bargains if you have the patience to sift through the dross"synonymsforbearance, tolerance, restraint, self-restraint, resignation, ... moreantonymsimpatience
  • 2.any of various forms of card game for one player, the object of which is to use up all one's cards by forming particular arrangements and sequences; 

What does my post have anything to do with not being patient?

Edited by BackDoorBreach
  • Like 1