White Sox sign Gio Gonzalez

Sleepy Harold

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Dont think for one second that this didnt have something to do with grandals opinion if him last year in Milwaukee 

And the fact that he comes cheap, goes in line with "KEEP THE PAYROLL UNDER $115M HAHN!!!!!!!!!" - My opinion of what JR is thinking.

1 minute ago, bubba phillips said:

One down and one to go.  I sure as hell hope the 2nd SP is also via the FA route.  I am scared to death that the second starter will have to come from a trade and that the prospects given up will be Vaughn and/or Madrigal.

Honestly, I am fine trading Vaughn if the return is mid to top rotation pre-arb or arb1 SP.  Not exactly sure who would fit that description that could be available tho.  Trading Madrigal makes zero sense.  

8 minutes ago, wegner said:

Maybe I should not feel as good after this signing, but I really do.  It just feels like it is another step with more to come.

I find it hard to hate this move. Someone could totally say it’s a ‘meh’ move, but it adds a SP with a very good track record to the back of the rotation. Could it turn into Santana 2.0? Absolutely, but the Sox don’t have any options to fill out the rotation, and Gio is way better than Covey. He can always be replaced by Rodon or Kopech when either of them are ready to come back. I really hope there is more additions like a Ryu/Keuchel, but this is a solid depth move that was way overdue.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oldsox said:

The boys on PTI, who both live in the DC area, had some fun with this.  He's good for 70 pitches, 3 innings, and lots of walks around the mound.

I'm sure Kornheiser has studied the move in depth and can quote $/war spent this offseason and how Gio slots into the 5th starter spot in Chicago.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm sure Kornheiser has studied the move in depth and can quote $/war spent this offseason and how Gio slots into the 5th starter spot in Chicago.

He usually lasts around 5 innings but he throws more than 70 pitches.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=gonzagi01&t=p&year=2019

Edited by Moan4Yoan

10 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

EE would be a waste imo.  They have plenty of guys to slot in DH.

Right now the DH platoon is looking like Collins and McCann. There isn't a great option available if Collins flops. EE is a reliable ~120ish wRC+ guy, would raise the floor of the lineup and it'll almost certainly come on a 1 year deal.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Such as?  They play about 2/3 of their games against RHP so don’t say McCann.

Collins. Plenty may not like him but it's about time he gets a legit shot at some PT. If not after last years season at Charlotte then when ? If traded it seems like every time the Sox trade a prospect teams target out high OBP guys not to mention all the power he could bring.

I remember back in the 05 offseason how excited I was when the Sox signed El Duque to be the fifth starter. 

How things have changed. I’m conflicted with this one. Gio still has some gas left in the tank but... is this really the best they could do?

i don’t know what the trade market looks like because most of that hasn’t really been leaked by reporters but I’d wager that this really is the best they could do. 

I doubt they want to trade guys teams ask for when/ if they go after “young cost controlled” guys.. and we all know the big ticket guys aren’t signing here. 

so ya, this is probably the best they could do. I’m just hoping it isn’t Ervin Santana all over again. 

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Collins. Plenty may not like him but it's about time he gets a legit shot at some PT. If not after last years season at Charlotte then when ? If traded it seems like every time the Sox trade a prospect teams target out high OBP guys not to mention all the power he could bring.

I will believe they view him as MLB starting caliber when I see it

16 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Collins is the big one and depending on lineups Mazara and Grandal could slot in as well.  I would actually be shocked if Grandal doesn't grab a bunch of ABs at DH.

Only if he (Grandal) hits well.