What would it take to get Nolan Arenado?

KnightsOnMintSt

MLB.com proposed this the other day and I would be very tempted to do this (we'd have to land Keuchel or a similar starter though to even consider it).

White Sox get: 3B Nolan Arenado and cash

Rockies get: RHP Dylan Cease, OF Luis Alexander Basabe (White Sox No. 7 prospect) and C/1B Zack Collins (White Sox No. 9 prospect)

https://www.mlb.com/news/nolan-arenado-trade-proposals

3 minutes ago, sin city sox fan said:

MLB.com proposed this the other day and I would be very tempted to do this (we'd have to land Keuchel or a similar starter though to even consider it).

White Sox get: 3B Nolan Arenado and cash

Rockies get: RHP Dylan Cease, OF Luis Alexander Basabe (White Sox No. 7 prospect) and C/1B Zack Collins (White Sox No. 9 prospect)

https://www.mlb.com/news/nolan-arenado-trade-proposals

I don’t see how that package is at all tempting for the Rockies. Maybe Cease, Vaughn/Madrigal, Stiever, + 1 crap throw in.

42 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Would the Sox be able to land him without giving up talent on the big league roster?

Does a deal with Vaughn, Madrigal, and Stiever get it done?

Yeah I’d guess Madrigal, Vaughn, Collins, Stiever for Arenado and cash. And I’d do it if I were the Sox.

56 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Would the Sox be able to land him without giving up talent on the big league roster?

Does a deal with Vaughn, Madrigal, and Stiever get it done?

Holy fuck that would be an awful baseball trade.  You really want trade the rest of our prospects for a 3B already being paid market rate?

And it should be obvious, especially in a deal with the White Sox, that cash would also be changing hands, so I'm not sure if that trade value calculator (which isn't the best to begin with) can be trusted much for such a transaction since we don't know how much cash the Rockies would send.

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

It's a big contract, but it's not like Arenado is a bad player or anything. There's no chance the Rockies trade him for anything less than multiple T100 prospects

That may all be true, but us trading two top 25 prospects and guy who could start cracking mid season top 100 lists by mid season for would be absolute insanity.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yea we didn't get close to that with Sale and he was younger with a great contract.

I think Moncada + Kopech is better than Madrigal + Vaughn (just because of how good Moncada was/is) but it’s not that much different and Sale was a way more valuable asset to your point.

I'm pretty surprised by the reaction here. I'm generally with you guys when it comes to these hypothetical Vaughn/Madrigal type trades. There are very few players I would trade them for, and I especially wouldn't entertain trading either one of them for a player with just one year of control (Betts). 

But assuming a decent amount of cash is included, I would absolutely consider moving them for one of the greatest defensive players of all time, even if Coors inflates his offense. You'd kind of have to move Madrigal since you'd be shifting Moncada to 2B. Adding Vaughn is just what I think it would take to get the Rockies to accept. 

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'm pretty surprised by the reaction here. I'm generally with you guys when it comes to these hypothetical Vaughn/Madrigal type trades. There are very few players I would trade them for, and I especially wouldn't entertain trading either one of them for a player with just one year of control (Betts). 

But assuming a decent amount of cash is included, I would absolutely consider moving them for one of the greatest defensive players of all time, even if Coors inflates his offense. You'd kind of have to move Madrigal since you'd be shifting Moncada to 2B. Adding Vaughn is just what I think it would take to get the Rockies to accept. 

If the Sox were going to trade Madrigal/Vaughn, don’t you think it would be a much better idea to trade them for a cost controlled starting pitcher instead of a 3rd baseman on a huge contract, especially considering the Sox already have a star 3rd baseman making pennies?

3 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

If the Sox were going to trade Madrigal/Vaughn, don’t you think it would be a much better idea to trade them for a cost controlled starting pitcher instead of a 3rd baseman on a huge contract, especially considering the Sox already have a star 3rd baseman making pennies?

The way I see it, a star is a star, so I'd be fine acquiring one and moving the inferior defender (in this case, Moncada) to a position of need.

I do get where you're coming from. My problem is that I struggle to identify that cost-controlled SP who may be available. Snell would likely cost Robert+, and Syndergaard doesn't have much control left so I wouldn't be comfortable giving up that much for him. 

48 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think Moncada + Kopech is better than Madrigal + Vaughn (just because of how good Moncada was/is) but it’s not that much different and Sale was a way more valuable asset to your point.

But some were including Cease and Collins and Stiever into the mix too