What would it take to get Nolan Arenado?

KnightsOnMintSt

I struggle with these. Arenado is tremendous...he's also receiving close to market value. That makes him not sale.

You are paying for his rights, but aren't getting much surplus. That's real.

But haven't seen one of these in practice for a while. He'd get back prospects but not sure he gets the level we think.

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

I struggle with these. Arenado is tremendous...he's also receiving close to market value. That makes him not sale.

You are paying for his rights, but aren't getting much surplus. That's real.

But haven't seen one of these in practice for a while. He'd get back prospects but not sure he gets the level we think.

The Stanton trade might be the best recent comp, although that contract was definitely worse.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Stanton trade might be the best recent comp, although that contract was definitely worse.

Right, and I'd imagine the answer is he'd net more but if the rockies just wanted to shove off salary there are less painful ways to do it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I don’t see how that package is at all tempting for the Rockies. Maybe Cease, Vaughn/Madrigal, Stiever, + 1 crap throw in.

I just can't trade a kid with number 1 stuff for a 3rd baseman in this environment. We have to produce starting pitching. We ain't buying it. That's just reality. 

12 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I just can't trade a kid with number 1 stuff for a 3rd baseman in this environment. We have to produce starting pitching. We ain't buying it. That's just reality. 

Agreed.  If Cease figures out his control, he’s worth Cole money with his stuff.  I wouldn’t trade him for an expensive 3B with weak road numbers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'm pretty surprised by the reaction here. I'm generally with you guys when it comes to these hypothetical Vaughn/Madrigal type trades. There are very few players I would trade them for, and I especially wouldn't entertain trading either one of them for a player with just one year of control (Betts). 

But assuming a decent amount of cash is included, I would absolutely consider moving them for one of the greatest defensive players of all time, even if Coors inflates his offense. You'd kind of have to move Madrigal since you'd be shifting Moncada to 2B. Adding Vaughn is just what I think it would take to get the Rockies to accept. 

His surplus value the next 2 years simply isn’t worth 2 top 25 and 2 top 150 guys. And if he has two more seasons of 5.5+ WAR he’s opting out for a bigger deal. If he performs worse than that, then the Sox paid 4 of their top 8 prospects for for a guy performing near or below market rate. It’s a no win situation for the Sox even if Rockies throw in reasonable cash.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

His surplus value the next 2 years simply isn’t worth 2 top 25 and 2 top 150 guys. And if he has two more seasons of 5.5+ WAR he’s opting out for a bigger deal. If he performs worse than that, then the Sox paid 4 of their top 8 prospects for for a guy performing near or below market rate. It’s a no win situation for the Sox even if Rockies throw in reasonable cash.

That's fair, and something I considered, but based on how the contract is structured, I'm not as convinced as you are that he's opting out at 30 years old even if he turns in two more Arenado-type seasons. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

I like Arenado, but if we did something like this I'd be upset, because then why dont you just sign a Rendon? Giving up prospects would make no sense

Sox did not go through a rebuild to punt Madrigal and Vaughn in a trade at this stage. You have to think the organization views each of them as key pieces moving forward to aid contention. 

We just are not close enough to be pushing all of our farm chips in to try and win right now. 

9 hours ago, steveno89 said:

Sox did not go through a rebuild to punt Madrigal and Vaughn in a trade at this stage. You have to think the organization views each of them as key pieces moving forward to aid contention. 

We just are not close enough to be pushing all of our farm chips in to try and win right now. 

Theoretically, I'd trade Madrigal+(as long as the + is not Vaughn, Kopech, Robert or Cease) for Lindor(if it were actually possible, and not fantasy land) in an instant. You have a year to convince him to sign an extension. If not, you flip him again next winter and gain some pieces back. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

All in if he was a free agent, yes.

The Sox can't afford to give up the little talent they do have.

They have to augment with FAs.

Looks like with zillionaire Cohen hovering, the Mets will become major players on the level of the Yankees and Dodgers.

Arenado might end up in Queens.

The White Sox should be so fortunate to have a zillionaire buy them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 5:18 PM, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Would the Sox be able to land him without giving up talent on the big league roster?

Does a deal with Vaughn, Madrigal, and Stiever get it done?

Probably; now why in the world would the Sox do that?
I should resurrect the Cargo threads from 5 years ago...

Edited by GreenSox

• 2 weeks later...