What would it take to get Nolan Arenado?

KnightsOnMintSt

10 hours ago, elrockinMT said:

These types of trade deals is what doomed the team to several years of subpar performances. We traded away our good prospects for immediate but short term gratification. We have a pretty solid young team settled at about every position and ready to compete LONG term so let’s not return to the old ways. That is my opinion and I realize others have theirs 

Let’s be honest, the Sox really only traded away two prospects worth a damn — Semien and Tatis Jr.

The far bigger problem over the years was the Sox failing to draft and develop enough talent in general.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scotty22hotty said:

wouldn't want this crybaby on my team. Dude signed a 250M contract and is talking about how he feels disrespected. what a clown.

Eh, I don't blame him. He signed a long-term deal. Many people thought he could of gotten a lot more on the open market. And now they're shopping him hard before the extension even kicks in. That is disrespecting him.

For the Sox. I'd love him, but we do have a pretty kickass third baseman already. Madigral and Cease are off the table for me. If you can land him for something like Vaughn, Stiever/Dunning (only one of the pitchers), Mazara and Rutherford - then go for it. But then it would require Jerry taking on all this salary in addition to what he's already spent. You'd then have to move Moncada to CF or RF.

7 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

If the latest rumors are true about the Red Sox demanding two top-flight prospects from another team to take on Betts, Price, and all $123 million of their salaries, Betts isn’t going anywhere.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/28510783/rob-manfred-mistake-was-giving-sign-stealers-too-much-leeway

But for the Rockies GM to come out and state that trading Arenado is now off the table, that was just stupid.  It seems like he was trying to get interested teams to up their offers but he ended up pissing off Arenado instead.  Now they pretty much have to trade him — Arenado also has an opt out in his contract after the 2021 season.  Some of the Cardinals names being rumored were pretty good which makes me think the Cardinals weren’t really offering that much.

It's not about feasibility of a trade (none of those teams have been able to trade), it's about doing it in a way that doesn't burn more bridges with the player. Red Sox publicly posturing has been that they are not trading Betts, not openly engaging in it like the Rox. I'd say cubs are not openly engaging in the bryant stuff either, but they have not been shooting it down.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

It's not about feasibility of a trade (none of those teams have been able to trade), it's about doing it in a way that doesn't burn more bridges with the player. Red Sox publicly posturing has been that they are not trading Betts, not openly engaging in it like the Rox. I'd say cubs are not openly engaging in the bryant stuff either, but they have not been shooting it down.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28527906/nolan-arenado-ire-rooted-rockies-inactivity-71-91-season

Not for it. You sign Rendon instead if you were looking for a mega bat. You don't take on the contract AND trade prospects. And if you're willing to take on that contract? Then re-think that plan, wait a year, and sign Betts. You then have an actual RF playing RF instead of shifting around one of your stars from 3B to RF. 

All moot point because i am 99.8% confident Hahn and Jerry are both too smart and cheap to do this for Arenado. 

10 minutes ago, mqr said:

This situation is getting so ugly, the package might not be so bad...

That’s the only reason I’m more open to trading for Arenado now than I was before. The Rockies have zero leverage at this point. I don’t think they’ll get as much for him as people expect.

Edited by YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES!

I would NOT trade Madrigal for Arenando. Only reason is because acquiring Arenando means moving Moncada out of 3b and into the OF where I'm not sure he'd thrive. While I'd LOVE Nolan on the W'Sox, I'd only offer our other prospects for him. I would be ALL in on Betts in free agency tho.

I like what others have stated here -- something like Vaughn + Rutherford + other quality pieces and IM OK.

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I would NOT trade Madrigal for Arenando. Only reason is because acquiring Arenando means moving Moncada out of 3b and into the OF where I'm not sure he'd thrive. While I'd LOVE Nolan on the W'Sox, I'd only offer our other prospects for him. I would be ALL in on Betts in free agency tho.

I like what others have stated here -- something like Vaughn + Rutherford + other quality pieces and IM OK.

why wouldn't you move moncada to second base?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

why wouldn't you move moncada to second base?

I thought about that too -- but I like Madrigal too much to make the move. It's more about not being willing to trade Madrigal for Arenando and his huge salary for what could be two years. If I was told that Nolan would be with us for the extent of his contract, I'd be more open to trading Madrigal in a Nolan trade and moving Moncada to 2b.

But the issue surrounding nolan is his contract and the opt out, thus I wouldn't give up Madrigal or Cease for him. Vaughn, however, is somewhat blocked and would become the best expendable piece in this hypothetical scenario.

In any event, I don't think we'd be able to get it done with STL and ATL interested, who are much more desperate for this type of move than us. 

12 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Let’s be honest, the Sox really only traded away two prospects worth a damn — Semien and Tatis Jr.

The far bigger problem over the years was the Sox failing to draft and develop enough talent in general.

Again, the Sox have drafted well over the past 10 years.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Is this a serious statement?

Well yes, given that they rank in the top 5 in all of baseball in WAR generated via the draft so... uh yeah.

so they're 2nd in all of baseball. I'll say the sox did pretty damn well.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Again, the Sox have drafted well over the past 10 years.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Well yes, given that they rank in the top 5 in all of baseball in WAR generated via the draft so... uh yeah.

Impact players are where it’s at...  not some ridiculous accumulation of a bunch of players’ WAR values.  Those numbers are skewed.  For example, 5 to 6 WAR from one star player each year is way more efficient and impressive than 5 to 6 WAR from two of three players added together.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Impact players are where it’s at...  not some ridiculous accumulation of a bunch of players’ WAR values.  Those numbers are skewed.  For example, 5 to 6 WAR from one star player each year is way more efficient and impressive than 5 to 6 WAR from two of three players added together.

So who are the organizations getting 5 to 6 WAR from individual, homegrown star players each year for the last decade?

41 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

The reason the Sox rank highly is because of stars (Sale, Semien and Anderson are a big part of this). 

The Sox have drafted well; despite the narrative here.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run