What would it take to get Nolan Arenado?

KnightsOnMintSt

Just now, Quin said:

Yeah, that's not how it works anymore, not for billion dollar brands.

There's a professional digital media 30 something running the account and then there's probably half a dozen "interns" or entry level twentysomethings that brainstorm marketing ideas or run the account in the wee hours of the morning in case some news breaks.  

That's how most PR operations work at mid sized companies.  Of which the Sox qualify here.   The Fortune 50 companies I'd imagine like Apple and Nike and so forth  have an entire army of PR folks in digital and everywhere else.

20 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

'cause it's fun and there's still about a week until any real spring training news?

One thing is having fun with it one thing is looking at every situation. Some people here look like these people who believe these doomsday naysayers. Looking for every angle to believe its true

9 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

One thing is having fun with it one thing is looking at every situation. Some people here look like these people who believe these doomsday naysayers. Looking for every angle to believe its true

We spend the whole off-season making up our own FA targets and discussing how'd they'd fit in to the Sox roster -- not sure how this is any different than a conversation in November about a random FA that we were never connected to. 

I for one don't feel like working today so I've been going over this (fake) scenario and all the negatives and positives that would come along with it. 

aka - Arenado's road splits are quite pedestrian, would he be really worth the contract? I think in a regular ballpark he's probably more of a $20mm/yr player

If the Sox are giving up Cease what does that do? To me, Cease seems to have his head on straight and I really like him. However there are many pitchers (overwhelming majority) who really never pan out to their expectations - maybe it's okay to sell, especially if you have faith in Reynaldo, Dunning or Steiver. Because considering you have Gio, Kopech and Keuchel locked in for the future... you really just need two spots filled by those 3 guys + Gio Gonzalez (or any other free agent you sign -- aka Quintana as your 4/5??) All of a sudden maybe Cease is expendable.

Where would Moncada play? Do you shift him to 2B for a month and then to RF? Do you mess with his success by moving him AGAIN. Seems like a somewhat unnecessary risk. But then again, you fill out your roster 1-9 pretty damn well.... 

If you're willing to take on $35mm a year or whatever the number is for 6-7 years, why not just wait an extra year and try to go after Betts for 10-11 years at that price and properly fill RF rather than shifting a Moncada?

If you're willing to trade Cease, I'd imagine you could pick up a controllable RF who is paid a lot less than Arenado that can contribute a ton too. 

Those are just things I thought about - again - it's likely a fake rumor, however isn't the whole offseason just a line of fake rumors geared towards clicks and ad sells? These blue check mark "journalists" don't really know anything eihter -- they're just puppets of the agents and baseball teams trying to drive up prices and also puppets of the companies they work for trying to drive traffic for ads. So whats the difference that this troll/fake internet reporter is leaking this fake story? To me it's just fun to discuss like it's fun to manage a fantasy baseball roster. 

3 minutes ago, Kpet1010 said:

Whether you like it or not he had joc losing arbitration before any of the big mlb guys today.

lol

He posts things, and then deletes them when they're wrong. There was a 50/50 chance he was right. The funny thing is Joc's hearing started after that guy tweeted out that he already lost.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

5 minutes ago, heirdog said:

FWIW, the MLBintel guy did say Joc lost his arb hearing about 4 hours ago and that the trade would go through. Passan said Joc lost his case less than an hour ago.  Passan didn’t add anything about the trade however. 

lol, again... Joc Pederson's hearing had not even started when MLBIntel tweeted out that he lost the hearing.

"Sources: The meeting (yes, they met in person) between Nolan Arenado and #WhiteSox owner Jerry Reinsdorf, went very well tonight. A decision expected tomorrow morning."

Assuming arguendo that Arenado and his agent met with Jerry, so what?   I would expect Arenado's agent to shop his client around with every  Owner/GM he could get a meeting with given Arenado's public statements about the Rockies.  He is looking to spark interest by some team so that they can explore a trade.

The Sox don't need  Arenado. We have our man at third base and a great prospect at second. No need to add 35 Million a year for ANod.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, tray said:

"Sources: The meeting (yes, they met in person) between Nolan Arenado and #WhiteSox owner Jerry Reinsdorf, went very well tonight. A decision expected tomorrow morning."

Assuming arguendo that Arenado and his agent met with Jerry, so what?   I would expect Arenado's agent to shop his client around with every  Owner/GM he could get a meeting with given Arenado's public statements about the Rockies.  He is looking to spark interest by some team so that they can explore a trade.

The Sox don't need  Arenado. We have our man at third base and a great prospect at second. No need to add 35 Million a year for ANod.

Yup.. It would be an incredibly dumb use of financial resources and players via trade. 

2 hours ago, JoshPR said:

Yes. He looked comfortable at 3rd. Leave him there. Why are you guys putting so much stock in a bullshit rumor?

I'm not putting any stock into any rumor. There's a 0% chance this happens. You said you wouldn't make this trade because of 2 reasons: Arenado can opt out after 2 seasons here and Moncada previously sucked at 2nd. Forget the rumor. Do truly think he couldn't drastically improve at 2B if a deal like this were to be made?