What would it take to get Nolan Arenado?

KnightsOnMintSt

but it does - especially depending on what else the rockies may be getting. Bryant can play the OF which allows McMahon to slot in at 3B and Hampson/Rodgers to play 2B this year. Then next year when Murphy is gone, McMahon slots in at 1B, Hampson at 2b, and Rodgers at 3B. Bryant mans the outfield with Hilliard, Dahl, Blackmon. It gives their lineup greater flexibility both financially and with the lineup card. 

Still not the best trade they can make though - they should be looking to get two SP arms that are groundball guys out of Arenado. Or 1SP prospect and ridding of the Desmond contract that has 3yr/$40mm remaining on it. If they do that they legit can be back to a 90-95 win team. Marquez, Gray, newly acquired SP, Freeland + that lineup + an extra $45mm in payroll flexibility. 

The Rockies are the best bet in Vegas currently for the team win totals. Especially because it's likely to drop another few games if they get rid of Arenado for SP -- which to me actually makes their team better. Tough to lose an Arenado and get better, but i think that's exactly where the Rockies are. 

30 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Exactly, the Cubs want to shed payroll and the Rockies would want long term assets.

You're right. The Cubs need to shed payroll and NA's salary is huge. Much larger than Bryant's. Maybe they throw Q in the deal and others to get the payroll down - just like what the Red Sox did. But they would probably have to get a 3rd team involved. I just don't see Colorado taking all of that on.

6 minutes ago, smellysox said:

You're right. The Cubs need to shed payroll and NA's salary is huge. Much larger than Bryant's. Maybe they throw Q in the deal and others to get the payroll down - just like what the Red Sox did. But they would probably have to get a 3rd team involved. I just don't see Colorado taking all of that on.

Yeah they'd pretty much have to dump Chatwood. And Lester's deal comes off the books after this season.