Computerized strike zone is coming

Sockin

12 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

This isn't necessarily imminent, it's just that they agreed to work with MLB if they decide to implement it. Whenever that may be.

I remember reading/hearing that it isn’t close enough in terms of reliability to come to MLB anytime soon and that it will happen but not for a couple years.

This will happen eventually but not that quickly.  Many players in the independent atlantic league which tested the system for mlb didn't like the system and thought it was erratic.

I think it will take 2-3 more years before all kinks are ironed out and probably till the next cba until it gets established. Until then grandals contract is probably over.

2 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Hopefully don't live to see that day...Keep changing the game Robbie

Of all the proposed Manfred changes, I'm not sure why this is the one that would upset you. In fact, I'm not sure how anyone who watched more than a few Sox games over the past couple years could be against this.

9 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Challenges in baseball are trash. Use a computer and get things right the first time. 

In this case, robo umps destroy the feel of the game. The challenging of balls and strikes should literally take ten seconds as a computerized zone will show what really happened. Robot umps would work great, but it takes away from the game. Whereas a few challenges per game can save a team from losing on a terrible call. 

8 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

In this case, robo umps destroy the feel of the game. The challenging of balls and strikes should literally take ten seconds as a computerized zone will show what really happened. Robot umps would work great, but it takes away from the game. Whereas a few challenges per game can save a team from losing on a terrible call. 

You would 100% not know the difference if there were robo umps making the calls. The robot would be a little voice in the home plate umpire's ear. The voice says strike, the ump calls strike. The end. 

No need to waste time with replay. Just get the call right by a robot the first time.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Robot umps would work great, but it takes away from the game. Whereas a few challenges per game can save a team from losing on a terrible call. 

It's not just about losing a game on a bad strike call. The difference between an 0-1 count and a 1-0 count, or a 2-1 count and a 1-2 count, for instance, is massive with respect to the outcome of the plate appearance, and calls are messed up extremely frequently that muddle this.  

Edited by Jose Abreu
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

You would 100% not know the difference if there were robo umps making the calls. The robot would be a little voice in the home plate umpire's ear. The voice says strike, the ump calls strike. The end. 

No need to waste time with replay. Just get the call right by a robot the first time.

Hell, put the replay up on the jumbotron like they do in tennis with the Hawk-Eye technology so everyone sees it as the same time. Tennis challenges take literally 5 seconds, are entertainingly visual for everyone to see together, and get the damn call right. 

Now I really want this. 

On 12/21/2019 at 10:10 PM, SonofaRoache said:

I wouldn't do automatic balls and strikes, but I would allow for a challenge of them. You'd get two challenges per game. 

That is a good suggestion.   I had a more draconian solution that involved having the umpire give a warning to a catcher that is flagrantly pulling pitches into the strike zone or otherwise trying to obscure the umpire from calling balls and strikes.

After a second infraction the batter would be awarded first base with the  at-bat registered as an intentional walk.

As it stands, there has been so much talk about "framing" pitches, that the umpire union is already pouring over video and  scouting catchers who are the best at this tactic.  After all "framing" is a euphemism for cheating.

Collins is not a good catcher. He lacks the speed, reflexes and athleticism that a guy like Fisk had or even what McCann has.  He would be gone if he had an ounce of trade value.  Instead, the Sox will probably trade McCann, which may prove to be  mistake.

Edited by tray