Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sockin

Computerized strike zone is coming

Recommended Posts

This isn't necessarily imminent, it's just that they agreed to work with MLB if they decide to implement it. Whenever that may be.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

This isn't necessarily imminent, it's just that they agreed to work with MLB if they decide to implement it. Whenever that may be.

 

I remember reading/hearing that it isn’t close enough in terms of reliability to come to MLB anytime soon and that it will happen but not for a couple years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Grandal just lost some value.

On the plus side, Collins just got more attractive as a player.

  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will happen eventually but not that quickly.  Many players in the independent atlantic league which tested the system for mlb didn't like the system and thought it was erratic.

I think it will take 2-3 more years before all kinks are ironed out and probably till the next cba until it gets established. Until then grandals contract is probably over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dick Allen said:

Why wouldn’t an umpire be for computerized balls and strikes? It makes their job a lot easier. 

There will still be four umps and less stress. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Why wouldn’t an umpire be for computerized balls and strikes? It makes their job a lot easier. 

Ego.  I doubt Cowboy Joe West is a fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So per an ESPN article apparently the Florida Aball league could try it this year with a goal of moving it to AAA in 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I wouldn't do automatic balls and strikes, but I would allow for a challenge of them. You'd get two challenges per game. 

Challenges in baseball are trash. Use a computer and get things right the first time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Hopefully don't live to see that day...Keep changing the game Robbie

Of all the proposed Manfred changes, I'm not sure why this is the one that would upset you. In fact, I'm not sure how anyone who watched more than a few Sox games over the past couple years could be against this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Challenges in baseball are trash. Use a computer and get things right the first time. 

In this case, robo umps destroy the feel of the game. The challenging of balls and strikes should literally take ten seconds as a computerized zone will show what really happened. Robot umps would work great, but it takes away from the game. Whereas a few challenges per game can save a team from losing on a terrible call. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

In this case, robo umps destroy the feel of the game. The challenging of balls and strikes should literally take ten seconds as a computerized zone will show what really happened. Robot umps would work great, but it takes away from the game. Whereas a few challenges per game can save a team from losing on a terrible call. 

You would 100% not know the difference if there were robo umps making the calls. The robot would be a little voice in the home plate umpire's ear. The voice says strike, the ump calls strike. The end. 

No need to waste time with replay. Just get the call right by a robot the first time.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

 Robot umps would work great, but it takes away from the game. Whereas a few challenges per game can save a team from losing on a terrible call. 

It's not just about losing a game on a bad strike call. The difference between an 0-1 count and a 1-0 count, or a 2-1 count and a 1-2 count, for instance, is massive with respect to the outcome of the plate appearance, and calls are messed up extremely frequently that muddle this.  

Edited by Jose Abreu
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

You would 100% not know the difference if there were robo umps making the calls. The robot would be a little voice in the home plate umpire's ear. The voice says strike, the ump calls strike. The end. 

No need to waste time with replay. Just get the call right by a robot the first time.

Hell, put the replay up on the jumbotron like they do in tennis with the Hawk-Eye technology so everyone sees it as the same time. Tennis challenges take literally 5 seconds, are entertainingly visual for everyone to see together, and get the damn call right. 

Now I really want this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they're doing this, I hope they have a 3-D box over the plate rather than a 2-D plane. If any part of the ball nicks any part of the box, it's a strike. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2019 at 3:03 AM, Dick Allen said:

Why wouldn’t an umpire be for computerized balls and strikes? It makes their job a lot easier. 

Because eventually mlb might remove the home plate ump completely, which means lost jobs for the umpire union.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

Because eventually mlb might remove the home plate ump completely, which means lost jobs for the umpire union.

No chance. There is a lot more to being behind the plate than calling balls and strikes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2019 at 10:10 PM, SonofaRoache said:

I wouldn't do automatic balls and strikes, but I would allow for a challenge of them. You'd get two challenges per game. 

That is a good suggestion.   I had a more draconian solution that involved having the umpire give a warning to a catcher that is flagrantly pulling pitches into the strike zone or otherwise trying to obscure the umpire from calling balls and strikes.

After a second infraction the batter would be awarded first base with the  at-bat registered as an intentional walk.

As it stands, there has been so much talk about "framing" pitches, that the umpire union is already pouring over video and  scouting catchers who are the best at this tactic.  After all "framing" is a euphemism for cheating.

Collins is not a good catcher. He lacks the speed, reflexes and athleticism that a guy like Fisk had or even what McCann has.  He would be gone if he had an ounce of trade value.  Instead, the Sox will probably trade McCann, which may prove to be  mistake.

Edited by tray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×