Keuchel to Sox, 3 years, 55.55 million; 4th year team option

Heads22

4 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Hopefully the 4th year isn’t an easily obtainable vesting option, but happy with 3/55. 
The staff is now complete...let’s not stop with RF. I can live with a Mazara/McCann platoon at DH. 

Ideally, they will be able to add a righty bat that can play the outfield corners.  I doubt they spend big on Ozuna now but I wonder what Puig’s market looks like?

Edited by Moan4Yoan

6 minutes ago, GradMc said:

I believe the Sox are going to shock me on the level of a Mookie Betts type deal.

Nothing they've done yet is going to get those phones ringing in the ticket office.

Reinsdorf is going  to have to do more than provide the base  with the allure of a green oasis where there's only sand.

I think the only problem with that is, giving him the money.

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

No it's not. 

Kopech and Cease.  If their elite stuff plays out, we are going to be hard to beat. 

Their top of the line starters - Giolito and Keuchel - need to pitch at that level. With the rest of the staff having youth and some ups/downs, these two need to anchor the staff. To win the division, of course, they need an overall rotation that's pretty solid from #1 to #5, but it all starts with our best being exactly that.

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Realistically, this puts the Sox at 35 WAR projection-wise. That's a 83 win team. If things go our way we will be in playoff contention. Go add a guy like EE as well as at least one good bullpen arm and we'll really be set.

Given that Cleveland is trading off it's best players and should regress, KC/Detroit suck that leaves Minnesota and Chicago. Unless injuries or just unexpected under-performance, it's hard to not see them being in contention in this division.

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

Not a huge fan, but it doesn't hurt 

IMO Keuchel only looks bad cause he wasn't real good last year even though his ERA was fine. His FIP was trash but he pitched half a year and his statcast numbers were fine. He's projected to be a 2.5 win pitcher. I'm perfectly fine with paying him $18 mil a year for that, assuming he can keep that kind of production up for another 2 years.

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

Hopefully I’m surprised, but I don’t think the reliever or bat will be among the top remaining free agents or even players like Betts or Arenado.

I just have a hard time thinking they are going to trade some of their top prospects for one year of Betts. I can't imagine they would move on him without having a new deal.

14 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Well now that they broke the silence with Boras, let's do one more with him and sign Castellanos. If Nick is fine being a primary DH, but can play RF when the Sox face lefties (then Grandal can DH and McCann catch on those days).

Bilek doubts that happens.

• Heads22 changed the title to Keuchel to Sox, 3 years, 55.55 million; 4th year team option
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic