Keuchel to Sox, 3 years, 55.55 million; 4th year team option

Heads22

Just now, spiderman said:

Given that Cleveland is trading off it's best players and should regress, KC/Detroit suck that leaves Minnesota and Chicago. Unless injuries or just unexpected under-performance, it's hard to not see them being in contention in this division.

Detroit signed Schoop and Cron from the Twilight's. 

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

IMO Keuchel only looks bad cause he wasn't real good last year even though his ERA was fine. His FIP was trash but he pitched half a year and his statcast numbers were fine. He's projected to be a 2.5 win pitcher. I'm perfectly fine with paying him $18 mil a year for that, assuming he can keep that kind of production up for another 2 years.

Did they really overpay? I thought the deal was pretty much in line with what I thought he'd get, but actually less years. I just assumed he'd get at least 4 years.

When some of the players went off the board I felt like availability should be prioritized with what was left. Love Ryu when he’s on but if ryu and another pitcher get injured there isn’t slack. Like having a Keuchel where it just feels so sure he’ll be available. 

Still really want to give Salazar a Santana deal.

Not my favorite offseason additions but luckily all decisions allow upgrades on a year by year basis as we could easily get out of any deals save Grandal.

• Like 1

I like the signings so far, still skeptical with the team currently constructed.....(RF and DH) Mazara and McCann or Encarnacion or whatever fringe free agent you want to place there doesn’t cut it if you are set on contention in my opinion. I think one more big move and I’ll be all in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spiderman said:

Did they really overpay? I thought the deal was pretty much in line with what I thought he'd get, but actually less years. I just assumed he'd get at least 4 years.

No it's in line with what pitchers have been getting. Keuchel actually projects very similarly to Bumgarner.

36 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

We would have to have quite a few injuries. I'm really liking the insurance Hahn and company are doing now. If one of those guys get hurt, you've got Kopech waiting. If another guy gets hurt later than that, you've  got Rodon. I still would like to see one more guy just in case because then you would have ti go into Covey/Detwiler range but that would be splitting hairs since that would be quite a bit of injuries to the staff.

Get McHugh for the bullpen and he can be the emergency 7th starter if needed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

Bilek doubts that happens.

I would also be surprised if they did a multi-year deal for a RF/DH type at this point. They have already traded for Mazara (like him or not) and have sort of a rotation of DH's amongst their catchers and Abreu. 

With Jimenez, Robert and Mazara already in the OF, I'm not sure they are going to spend big at this point, but more likely some veteran on a 1 year deal.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

This is a guy who advanced stats really gives no justice. He doesn’t give up a lot of runs. I will take a3.75 ERA from him and let others argue why guys with ERAs over a run more are way more valuable. 3 years in this market, with his agent, is good. He will have to earn year 4.

And he’ll actually give us a full years starts which this rotation desperately needed reliability.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

No, I think they were going to spend big money on only one of the two starting pitchers.  Gio probably happens either way.

Agreed, I think they clearly wanted one of the more desired starters. Keuchel was more of a Plan B amongst that better group, but they did want to add an additional veteran type for insurance. A lot to sort out with this rotation as the season goes on, but they have enough arms to feel reasonably optimistic about.

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Absolutely this. You see his elite spin rate numbers? I'd be all over that if I was Hahn.

I didn’t realize McHugh is from Naperville, but I’m guessing he’s a Cubs fan.  Also, I didn’t see this when he originally said it...

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/03/13/collin-mchugh-calls-out-white-sox-for-manipulating-eloy-jimenezs-service-time/

Edited by Moan4Yoan

• Heads22 changed the title to Keuchel to Sox, 3 years, 55.55 million; 4th year team option
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic