Keuchel to Sox, 3 years, 55.55 million; 4th year team option

Heads22

53 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Well now that they broke the silence with Boras, let's do one more with him and sign Castellanos. If Nick is fine being a primary DH, but can play RF when the Sox face lefties (then Grandal can DH and McCann catch on those days).

Signing castellanos would be so fucking dumb

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, NCsoxfan said:

Depends what you mean by “hit”. I don’t think we can expect these types of acquisitions to meaningfully outperform (maybe with the exception of Mazara who has upside). We would be happy if Kuechel/Gio/Grandal gives us 80-100% of the value of their contract imo.

Grandal staying grandal would be a big hit.

But for Keuchel/gio, it’s just not tanking.

I did the exercise last year, but over and over again Sox signed “Reasonable” FA upgrades only for them to be the worst version of their careers. That can’t happen.

Wouldn’t count on Lambert giving much of anything at the big league level this year.

Still comes down to Cease and Kopech...one has to be a stud.

Giolito, Keuchel, Lopez, G.Gonzalez and Cease...with Kopech, Dunning and Rodon in reserve.   So we finally have the depth we desperately needed.  Kopech’s argument for being on OD roster is gone, too.

Stiever is likely going to be groomed for back end of bullpen.

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

Signing castellanos would be so fucking dumb

Especially when you can get the better bat in EE to DH full time. If you're mostly going to DH Castellanos there is no reason to give him a huge deal when you can give EE $12-15 million for one year.

1 hour ago, NCsoxfan said:

I’ve hated on Hahn as much as anyone but good work getting this done. It would’ve been ok had they overpaid but it appears they didn’t. 

Keep seeing that CWS overpaid, but I disagree...and if you see my posts you know I'm quick to find an overpay

1 hour ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

People on Twitter are saying the Sox overpaid, but I like it a lot. 3/54 is fair to me I think.

Yup, rather Keuchel at 3/54 than MadBum for 5/$85 or Wheeler for...$118🤢

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

Great to see, so many young arms we have...at the absolute minimum Keuchel is a solid innings eater, but hopefully he can effective

1 hour ago, Soxnfins said:

All. The. Lefties. Part 2. 

Sign Castellanos too and call it an offseason

Ehhh, ALL of our young arms are righties (Kopech, Gio, Lopez, Cease, Dunning, Stiever)...not overly concenred about handedness, but nice to break it up

1 hour ago, EvilJester99 said:

Now sign EE or Ozuna and call it an off-season.. well maybe a BP arm as well. 

EE would be solid and I wonder what Ozuna signs for

EE on a 1 year deal brings us some pop but man are we loaded at 1B/DH (Abreu, Grandal, Collins, Mazara...Vaughn)

Hopefully Mazara can be a full time RF

1 hour ago, GradMc said:

The key to this pitching staff is still Rey Rey Lopez.

Really hope he pans out, he flashes such dominant stuff (Been compared to Severino), but can't find consistency and always gives up a long ball

HOPEFULLY Lopez pans out because man this rotation can be insane if everyone hits their ceilings

58 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

If Price meant Benintendi, it would’ve been fine.  But I guess we will see if that happens.

Gonna say that was never an option...BoSox aren't in a firesale to lose talent...Price probably can be had for a pair of solid prospects if we eat some salary (pass)

53 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Merkin says the Sox are still going to add one reliever and one bat so it’s likely going to happen.

Harris and Puig would be interesting

41 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I still feel the Sox biggest weakness is Renteria. But for the moment, I'm liking this offseason and team so far. 

Not a Ricky fan whatsoever, but let's see what he can do with legitimate talent...Hopefully the FO is quick to move on if they disappoint

26 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Puig on one year deal to be Mazara's platoon partner and Betances.

Would love this...Is Betances healthy?

21 minutes ago, fathom said:

Will Harris or Cishek for reliever or someone like Kela in a trade

Will Harris would be sick

9 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Ben Zobrist is a guy I'd like to kick the tires on.  Early season 2B holder for when Madrigal is ready.   Good veteran with high OBP%.  Then you can use him as the split guy with Mazara . 

Mendick is likely the infield bat off the bench, Zobrist probably retiring or going to LAA

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

I feel so much better about the rotation. If Kopech and Rodon are healthy, we have a lot of options.

Can never have too many arms, let's go boys

6 minutes ago, EvilJester99 said:

Phil Rogers gonna Phil Rogers.. why would Cease start in the minors? 

I just don't see the White Sox protecting either Cease or Kopech by starting them in the minors. Is it possible that Kopech isn't ready and they want to build up his innings before putting him into the rotation? I would grant some possibility of the White Sox being cautious with him. 

Obviously, there's more competition now, and these guys should have to earn their spots, but there isn't any scenario where the White Sox believe that Detwiler should be making starts over a healthy Cease or Kopech. That doesn't make any sense.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Wouldn’t count on Lambert giving much of anything at the big league level this year.

Still comes down to Cease and Kopech...one has to be a stud.

Giolito, Keuchel, Lopez, G.Gonzalez and Cease...with Kopech, Dunning and Rodon in reserve.   So we finally have the depth we desperately needed.  Kopech’s argument for being on OD roster is gone, too.

Stiever is likely going to be groomed for back end of bullpen.

Hopefully both...if everyone hits their ceilings, good God

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Especially when you can get the better bat in EE to DH full time. If you're mostly going to DH Castellanos there is no reason to give him a huge deal when you can give EE $12-15 million for one year.

EE will be closer to $8-10 million.

See that as much more likely than Castellanos and Ozuna, especially at a price in single figures.

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Phil Rogers still has a press credential and covers baseball.   Amazes me. 

Exactly, those guys are mop-up guys (at best) and emergency starters only after you run out of your expected starters. This one shouldn't really be much of a debate to a national writer.

Man, Twins’ fans have to be throwing their hands up in frustration after winning 101 games last year.  They’re definitely not the type of organization to overbid on Ryu.

Their big move still could be a Donaldson at 3B with Sano moving to 1B.  They did just sign Tyler Clippard, lol.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

Eh, it’s pretty much 4/$74 contract since Keuchel only needs to accumulate 160 innings in the second and third years of the deal.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1208570602136768514

Where it might not be vested is if he's really bad, and the Sox basically stop using him or release him before he hits 160 innings in the 2nd year of the deal.

• Heads22 changed the title to Keuchel to Sox, 3 years, 55.55 million; 4th year team option
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic