Keuchel to Sox, 3 years, 55.55 million; 4th year team option

Heads22

Like last season’s Braves, the White Sox are seeking an innings-consumer. Keuchel can do just that while mentoring their younger pitchers. Chicago is trying to take steps toward relevancy after undergoing a complete teardown. 

Keuchel, while no longer a Cy Young-caliber pitcher, pitched 145-2/3 innings or more in six consecutive seasons before his shorter 2019. He hit the 200-innings plateau three times in that span and did so most recently in 2018, when he made a career-high 34 starts.

While Keuchel’s Braves tenure might seem underwhelming, especially in the postseason, he served a much-needed role in the regular season. Mike Soroka and Max Fried, two youngsters headlining an enticing rotation, praised Keuchel’s leadership and mentorship throughout the campaign.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/dallas-keuchel-reportedly-finds-home-with-white-sox/bGw05pE8gxhDZICgQrcHdJ/

Agent Scott Boras negotiated the deal for Keuchel and has earned his players $936 million in contracts this offseason, including a $324 million, nine-year deal between Gerrit Cole and the New York Yankees and $245 million, seven-year deals for Stephen Strasburg with the Washington Nationals and Anthony Rendon with the Los Angeles Angels. Boras is expected to clear the $1 billion mark this winter.

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/AP-source-White-Sox-LHP-Keuchel-agree-to-55M-14924840.php

8 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Arenado wouldn't make any sense if they are alluding to him. If you wanted that, you could of gone for Rendon in free agency, and not given up the couple of big prospects the Rockies would surely demand.

They’re playing the :lookatmegame. Note how they had nothing on this signing beforehand; they are just going for eyeballs and clicks.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Orlando said:

This is awesome. I owe the FO an apology. They are busting all types of myths and actually trying. I can’t wait to see what’s next! 

This is how I feel. Hey at least they’re trying. I still want JR to go balls out and sign or trade for a big ticket player though. Spend $200 - $300 million on a stud so we know it’s real. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

This is a guy who advanced stats really gives no justice. He doesn’t give up a lot of runs. I will take a3.75 ERA from him and let others argue why guys with ERAs over a run more are way more valuable. 3 years in this market, with his agent, is good. He will have to earn year 4.

I'm not concerned at all about a one year dip in Keuchel's peripherals, but for his career he's essentially pitched to his "advanced stats." Career 3.67 ERA, 3.80 FIP, & 3.52 xFIP.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

We said the same thing about Cruz last year. EE isn’t great, but at least he’s a proven slugger that is a hell of a lot better than what we had.

EE also raises the floor of the lineup considerably. If Collins or another young guy pushes EE out of the lineup, cool. But the Sox shouldn't be turning their noses at reliable ~120 wRC+ guys.

• Heads22 changed the title to Keuchel to Sox, 3 years, 55.55 million; 4th year team option
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic