Keuchel to Sox, 3 years, 55.55 million; 4th year team option

Heads22

2 hours ago, Quin said:

Wonderful terms.

Signed a Boras guy.

Garfein will be happy there's a rotation mentor.

Anyone comparing Keuchel to Buehrle is ridiculous.

Why ? Do you think Buerhle was better ? Worse ? Both soft tossing lefties who control the running game very well. Kuechel didn't allow any stolen bases against him last year.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Trade away assets.  Twins are in a tough spot.  I don't think they had a ton of interest in Keuchel, but they're quite simply running out of options.

Hopefully the Angels panic and offer Ryu stupid money, now that it's down to one potential impact starter left in free agency. Keep him away from the Twinkies. He would scare me with them.

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Why ? Do you think Buerhle was better ? Worse ? Both soft tossing lefties who control the running game very well. Kuechel didn't allow any stolen bases against him last year.

I had no idea Dallas allowed zero stolen bases against him last season...I know it was a shortened season for him but wow....plus he's a ground ball pitcher...l love this signing 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Buehrle's 2005 eclipsed Keuchel's AL CY season. If you look at the numbers, Buehrle was waaaay better. AINEC. 

Buehrle is quite similar to Konerko as in he's in the hall of very, very good but not quite a HOF. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, wegner said:

I had no idea Dallas allowed zero stolen bases against him last season...I know it was a shortened season for him but wow....plus he's a ground ball pitcher...l love this signing 

He has an outstanding pickoff move. Very hard to run against.

Parkman's opinion:

With the options on the table, this was the best case scenario. 

I didn't like Keuchel, but after doing some research, found that I underrated him. 

Steamer has him good for 2.6 WAR and ZiPS has him at 2.7. If he can get above 3 WAR that's good. I also admit that the late start to his season last year probably made him worse than he actually was. 

18 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Didn't lose a pick or prospects...and saved a lot of cash over wheeler. I'll make a bet that the next two seasons that Keuchel has better numbers than wheeler. After that his arm is gonna fall off, but this is solid and much better than price for slightly cheaper money.

I’m excited about this move, but would definitely take Wheeler at 5/$125M over this deal.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m excited about this move, but would definitely take Wheeler at 5/$125M over this deal.

I think Keuchel is going to end up being a better fit for the Sox long term. Wheeler would’ve been nice but we needed someone to mentor the young pitchers. Gio will help in that as well. 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Because Buehrle is probably one of the most unique players of all time, but because they're both lefties who control the run game (Keuchel is soft tossing, but throws harder than Buehrle) Sox fans will try to compare them.

They are both excellent pitchers.

I like the McHugh idea as a swing man as well....I have liked him as an option from the beginning because you can never have too many guys that can start or at least go 4-5 innings.  Rays have proven this.

I like the idea of EE as well, but what about Dickerson?  I think he is the most underrated LHH on the market.  Play Dickerson in RF (he is a good defender) and platoon Mazara at DH with a RHH....maybe still EE depending on cost?

24 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Parkman's opinion:

With the options on the table, this was the best case scenario. 

I didn't like Keuchel, but after doing some research, found that I underrated him. 

Steamer has him good for 2.6 WAR and ZiPS has him at 2.7. If he can get above 3 WAR that's good. I also admit that the late start to his season last year probably made him worse than he actually was. 

Who cares about WAR?

19 starts last year. 12 of them quality. Only gave up more than 4 ERs twice, and only in his sole disaster outing of the year did he fail to pitch five innings. Dude will give us a decent chance to win every time he goes out.

Dylan Covey gave us one QS in 12. We were pretty much finished in several of his starts before we even came to bat. He’s DONE.

Ross Detwiler gave us two QS in 12. He’s DONE.

Despaigne, Santana, and Banuelos gave us one QS in 14. There’s four QS in 38 games. And it’s not like they were just failing to reach the six inning mark to have QS; those five gave up four or more ER in 21 of their starts. They’re DONE.

Keuchel eliminates all of them. And he’s reliable, unlike Ryu. Too many people on here think we need an ace. No- arguably, we already have one in Lucas. We now just need people to add to the potent but untested youth who will give us a chance to win and keep the uninteresting (for us fans) and disastrous (for our W-L) pitchers off the mound.

Dallas and Gio do that just fine.

Edited by The Sir
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

31 minutes ago, wegner said:

That's what I remember reading a few days ago.

26 minutes ago, fathom said:

He’s very Buehrle-esque in terms of his fielding 

11 minutes ago, Quin said:

Because Buehrle is probably one of the most unique players of all time, but because they're both lefties who control the run game (Keuchel is soft tossing, but throws harder than Buehrle) Sox fans will try to compare them.

They are both excellent pitchers.

Yes both with multiple Glove Gloves, both with great pick off moves , both multiple All Stars games . Could you also say both are ground balls pitchers ?

Just keep Joe West away from the plate with Keuchel on the mound or he'll call balks on him  like he did with Buerhle. Didn't MB have some kind of streak going and West kicked him out of the game after calling 2 balks on him ?

• Heads22 changed the title to Keuchel to Sox, 3 years, 55.55 million; 4th year team option
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic