Keuchel to Sox, 3 years, 55.55 million; 4th year team option

Heads22

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Fulmer has no options left, while Covey does.  Honestly, Covey is likely to stick around one more year and be bullpen depth (probably his ideal role) and our emergency starter.

I really don’t get this. Why are there people who want to keep Covey on the 40? Why is he even on it in the first place? Even as bullpen depth, I don’t think he’s capable of being anything but horrible

https://theathletic.com/1497592/2019/12/30/white-sox-announce-dallas-keuchel-desire-to-be-taken-seriously-in-the-al-central/

According to Fegan, the vesting option exists. However, the conditions that allow the option to vest have not been made public. There are more conditions involved besides the 160 IP in 2021 and 22. Otherwise, it's a team option. 

10 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I really don’t get this. Why are there people who want to keep Covey on the 40? Why is he even on it in the first place? Even as bullpen depth, I don’t think he’s capable of being anything but horrible

I second this. I’ve seen enough of Covey in my lifetime on the Whitesox, cut bait and be done with him. If he somehow puts it all together on another team well I’ll be damned and tip my cap, highly doubt it though, he was BRUTAL

Covey and Fulmer both  have to be gone.  I actually think Fulmer is an effective bullpen guy but it's not going to be with the White Sox.  They have no idea how to help him because they went away from the pitching model.  They fell in love with the kid which happens and ignored all the red flags.  I hope they will be able to get something for him but they probably end up just releasing him.  

41 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Stash-able warm body in case of emergency?  Neither are any good and  no one should shed a tear if and or when Fulmer or Covey are jettisoned.  But the available option theoretically has some roster value. 

Edited by SouthWallace

1 hour ago, SouthWallace said:

Stash-able warm body in case of emergency?  Neither are any good and  no one should shed a tear if and or when Fulmer or Covey are jettisoned.  But the available option theoretically has some roster value. 

I’m not a Covey fan, but every 40 man roster needs a pitcher or two that can be called up to fill some innings in a pinch.  And to serve that role, you must have options available.  Right now, the 40 man roster lacks alternatives to fill this role.  Outside of the five current starters & Kopech, we only have Flores as a guy with options who can give us five innings (sorry Fulmer).  Once we get Rodon & Dunning back I wouldn’t be surprised if Covey loses his roster spot, but until then I think he sticks around.

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

https://theathletic.com/1497592/2019/12/30/white-sox-announce-dallas-keuchel-desire-to-be-taken-seriously-in-the-al-central/

According to Fegan, the vesting option exists. However, the conditions that allow the option to vest have not been made public. There are more conditions involved besides the 160 IP in 2021 and 22. Otherwise, it's a team option. 

Yeah, that’s unfortunate, but definitely something that can easily be managed if needed.  Not a big deal IMO.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, that’s unfortunate, but definitely something that can easily be managed if needed.  Not a big deal IMO.

It would make no sense for an organization to offer to combine two years to get to 160 IP unless they believed he was an elevated injury risk by that point.  Keuchel's battled health issues the last 2-3 years, but not any significant ones like TJ or rotator cuff/labrum.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not a Covey fan, but every 40 man roster needs a pitcher or two that can be called up to fill some innings in a pinch.  And to serve that role, you must have options available.  Right now, the 40 man roster lacks alternatives to fill this role.  Outside of the five current starters & Kopech, we only have Flores as a guy with options who can give us five innings (sorry Fulmer).  Once we get Rodon & Dunning back I wouldn’t be surprised if Covey loses his roster spot, but until then I think he sticks around.

No doubt.  The option is more valuable than the player himself at the moment.  And whenever you need his 40 man spot Covey is easy to let go. 

Edited by SouthWallace
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Covey and Fulmer both  have to be gone.  I actually think Fulmer is an effective bullpen guy but it's not going to be with the White Sox.  They have no idea how to help him because they went away from the pitching model.  They fell in love with the kid which happens and ignored all the red flags.  I hope they will be able to get something for him but they probably end up just releasing him.  

Thornton for Borchard.  Failed prospect for a failed prospect sometimes works.  We should try it with Fulmer.

• Like 2