Remaining Wish List

thxfrthmmrs

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Because Leury hits lefties better than Engel. Engel sucks man. Any situation where Engel projects to get more than spot starts and late defensive replacement work is a situation I cannot get behind at this point. 

I'm reasonably indifferent but Engel (statistically in 2019) hits lefties better than Leury although Garcia had about 2X number of ABs

Engel Slash vs. LH - .313  .360  .482  .841

Garcia Slash vs. LH- .311 .344  .443  .786 

If Engel can approach those splits in 100 plus ABs, we should be fine in RF

I've been a proponent of this for some time, but give me either EE or Scooter Gennett ... or if greedy, both for the last few signings. 

Scooter has bounced around the diamond a decent amount in his career and can be your starting 2B before Madrigal before playing super backup all around the infield, and even in a corner OF position here and there. I'd give both guys 1 year, $6-9mm deals.

I'm not one to be very optimistic, so it's starting to feel uncomfortable, but you give me both of those guys? I think you can convince me after a few glasses of wine that we're not only favorites in the division, but squint and I could see an ALCS in our future. 

1 - Robert

2- Madrigal

3- Moncada

4- Abreu

5- Eloy

6 - EE

7 - Grandal

8 - Mazara

9 - Anderson

Bench - Leury CF/SS/RF, McCann DH, 1B, C, Scooter 2B/3B/LF, RF, Collins - 1B/DH/LF

I'm not sold on that order, but I dont think Anderson repeats his last year... I think Robert is Acuna that you need to get him the most AB's on the team. Madrigal could easily be slated for bottom of order, but I do like him putting the ball in play with Robert on the bases. But honestly, even as a naysayer usually ... I think that team is a 90+ win team. You have depth in the lineup, and no real hole outside of RF, RF defense, 1B defense. 

Rotation is obviously set and you have yourself Kopech and Rodon at any given time which could even afford you a 6 man rotation for a bit. It's all in all a real team. Almost one where you could trade a Dunning or other prospects and try and get a legit TOR SP for a playoff run to contend with the Astros or Yanks. I wouldn't, but you could convince me. Maybe I'm just being too optimistic this morning. Its the holidays hah. 

So i say, fuck it, uncle jerry go out and get SCooter and EE. 

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

I've been a proponent of this for some time, but give me either EE or Scooter Gennett ... or if greedy, both for the last few signings. 

Scooter has bounced around the diamond a decent amount in his career and can be your starting 2B before Madrigal before playing super backup all around the infield, and even in a corner OF position here and there. I'd give both guys 1 year, $6-9mm deals.

I'm not one to be very optimistic, so it's starting to feel uncomfortable, but you give me both of those guys? I think you can convince me after a few glasses of wine that we're not only favorites in the division, but squint and I could see an ALCS in our future. 

1 - Robert

2- Madrigal

3- Moncada

4- Abreu

5- Eloy

6 - EE

7 - Grandal

8 - Mazara

9 - Anderson

Bench - Leury CF/SS/RF, McCann DH, 1B, C, Scooter 2B/3B/LF, RF, Collins - 1B/DH/LF

I'm not sold on that order, but I dont think Anderson repeats his last year... I think Robert is Acuna that you need to get him the most AB's on the team. Madrigal could easily be slated for bottom of order, but I do like him putting the ball in play with Robert on the bases. But honestly, even as a naysayer usually ... I think that team is a 90+ win team. You have depth in the lineup, and no real hole outside of RF, RF defense, 1B defense. 

Rotation is obviously set and you have yourself Kopech and Rodon at any given time which could even afford you a 6 man rotation for a bit. It's all in all a real team. Almost one where you could trade a Dunning or other prospects and try and get a legit TOR SP for a playoff run to contend with the Astros or Yanks. I wouldn't, but you could convince me. Maybe I'm just being too optimistic this morning. Its the holidays hah. 

Have to think the Sox are the odds on favorite to sign Encarnacion after Shaw signed with Toronto. Outside of somewhat blocking Collins, I see zero risk in a one year deal for $8-10 million. 

Cesar Hernandez/Scooter Gennett. Gennett intrigues me with his ability to play 2B/3B/OF. Hernandez would be ideal to man 2B until Madrigal is ready. Neither would require beyond a reasonable one year deal. 

I'd really like McHugh in the mix as a swingman/reliever. Provides us greater depth in the pen, and could take on a variety of roles. Essentially an upgraded Covey. Cost should not be too high either.

None of these moves would be overly splashy, but each would make us better equipped to compete in the central division. 

1 hour ago, Flash said:

I'm reasonably indifferent but Engel (statistically in 2019) hits lefties better than Leury although Garcia had about 2X number of ABs

Engel Slash vs. LH - .313  .360  .482  .841

Garcia Slash vs. LH- .311 .344  .443  .786 

If Engel can approach those splits in 100 plus ABs, we should be fine in RF

I believe they both had OPS+ of 110 against LHP. I just don't think it makes much sense to pencil Engel in as Mazara's platoon mate when Leury is on the roster.  

Hopefully they sign a lefty masher and neither are the regular platoon mate, though.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

1 - Robert

2- Madrigal

3- Moncada

4- Abreu

5- Eloy

6 - EE

7 - Grandal

8 - Mazara

9 - Anderson

You said that you weren't sold on that order. I'm not either. I don't like putting 2 of the 3 LH hitters together, in the bottom 3RD of the lineup. It bunches too many of the RH, middle of the order bats together. Placing last year's batting champ, who is also probably the team's most accomplished base stealer, 9TH doesn't seem optimal. It is also a little premature to put both rookies at the very top of the order. I agree that they may ultimately be well suited for those spots in the lineup, but not in their Major League debuts. All that aside, the thought of potentially having an entire lineup full of legitimate hitters is exciting.

10 hours ago, Lillian said:

You said that you weren't sold on that order. I'm not either. I don't like putting 2 of the 3 LH hitters together, in the bottom 3RD of the lineup. It bunches too many of the RH, middle of the order bats together. Placing last year's batting champ, who is also probably the team's most accomplished base stealer, 9TH doesn't seem optimal. It is also a little premature to put both rookies at the very top of the order. I agree that they may ultimately be well suited for those spots in the lineup, but not in their Major League debuts. All that aside, the thought of potentially having an entire lineup full of legitimate hitters is exciting.

Lineup construction will be interesting.  Four players in that lineup could bat third on some teams.  Not one easy out in the lineup.  Opponents are not going to be throwing many shutouts against that lineup.  Also, we have a lot of speed for a team with that much power.🙂

12 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

1. Bullpen help

2. A platoon partner for Mazara and Collins.

I keep seeing a need for Mazara platoon come up and I dont know if we really need one with an EE signing.

With EE at DH this team will be pretty stacked offensively so I'd rather any platoon for Mazara bring versatility, speed and defense to the table in addition to being capable vs. LHP. I don't know if anyone left out there fits the bill better than Leury or Engel.

Our potential bench is looking like McCann, Leury, Engel and Mendick. I wouldn't mind bringing in Asdrubal Cabrera in as the backup IF if they don't think Mendick is ready. Cabrera being a switch hitter and playing average or better defense across all 3 IF positions brings more value to the table than say a Puig/Souza/Pence/Santana as the Mazara platoon.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I keep seeing a need for Mazara platoon come up and I dont know if we really need one with an EE signing.

With EE at DH this team will be pretty stacked offensively so I'd rather any platoon for Mazara bring versatility, speed and defense to the table in addition to being capable vs. LHP. I don't know if anyone left out there fits the bill better than Leury or Engel.

Our potential bench is looking like McCann, Leury, Engel and Mendick. I wouldn't mind bringing in Asdrubal Cabrera in as the backup IF if they don't think Mendick is ready. Cabrera being a switch hitter and playing average or better defense across all 3 IF positions brings more value to the table than say a Puig/Souza/Pence/Santana as the Mazara platoon.

Yeah, I too am fine with Leury as his platoo and I like our bench.  But I admittedly am way higher on Mendick than many others.  I think he will be a super solid bench player in his career.  Thinking like a Chris Taylor skill set 

Edited by cjgalloway
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cjgalloway said:

Yeah, I too am fine with Leury as his platoo and I like our bench.  But I admittedly am way higher on Mendick than many others.  I think he will be a super solid bench player in his career.  Thinking like a Chris Taylor skill set 

I know what you mean with the comp, Mendick is someone who could be a versatile piece playing a bunch of positions and be the jack of all trades. But mind you Taylor was a 4.8 fWAR player in 2017 and 3.2 in 2018. He also had superb contact ability back in the minors (.312 BA vs .259 for Mendick) and made a swing change to tap into his power in 2017.

I think a good ceiling for Mendick is probably 2019 Taylor, but I don’t see him being beyond that.

On 12/23/2019 at 2:31 PM, knightni said:

Arodys Vizcaino, Collin McHugh, and Nick Castellanos.

Now that EE is on boarding I think RP is next. I am onboard with McHugh and Vizcaino. Viz is hurt too much and he's gonna only cost a low base salary with heavy incentives. Something like $1M base salary and up to $3M with incentives.

As for the remaining bench piece, I slightly prefer Asdrubal Cabrera over Pillar - switch hitter and UZR grades him pretty well at 2B/3B/SS last season, and his bat is going to be more reliable than Pillar (also crazy to see that he quietly put up 27.5 fWAR over his career).

McHugh 1/$7M

Vizcaino 1/$3M, with 2020 team option.

Cabrera 1/$3.5M 

Payroll adds up to about $136M. 

Remaining offseason. Since Castellanos is more than likely off the board, I would not mind bringing in puig to platoon with Mazara and yolmer back on a team friendly deal to start for a few weeks till Madrigal comes up he can be our super utility infielder. Trade Collins for some relief pitching, bring back Daniel Hudson and finish up the offseason with a Robert extension.

• Haha 1

Just now, ChiSoxJon said:

After EE, Merkin wants Yolmer and Hudson which I would support

If we're truly going all in grab the cheaper option of Castellanos/Puig, Yolmer, and Hudson/Harris...I'd be more than content

Yolmer's defensive greatness and versatility off the bench would be major

C- Grandal
1B- Abreu
2B- Madrigal
3B- Moncada
SS- Anderson
LF- Eloy
CF- Robert
RF- Puig/Castellanos
DH- EE

Bench- McCann, Yolmer, Mazara, Leury

Rotation- Giolito, Keuchel, Gonzalez, Cease, Lopez
Bullpen- Colome, Herrera, Harris/Hudson, Bummer, Fry, Hamilton, Marshall, Burdi

DL- Kopech, Rodon

AAA- Collins, Fulmer, Dunning, Lambert, Adolfo, Basabe, Rutherford, Mercedes, Zavala, Mendick, Engel

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

C- Grandal
1B- Abreu
2B- Madrigal
3B- Moncada
SS- Anderson
LF- Eloy
CF- Robert
RF- Puig/Castellanos
DH- EE

Bench- McCann, Yolmer, Mazara, Leury

Rotation- Giolito, Keuchel, Gonzalez, Cease, Lopez
Bullpen- Colome, Herrera, Harris/Hudson, Bummer, Fry, Hamilton, Marshall, Burdi

DL- Kopech, Rodon

AAA- Collins, Fulmer, Dunning, Lambert, Adolfo, Basabe, Rutherford, Mercedes, Zavala, Mendick, Engel

I’m just highly skeptical they are giving up on Mazara already and relegate him to the bench. Plus he’s a better hitter against RHP than Puig. If Mazara starts, I don’t see Puig or NC coming here for a platoon role.

Heck, I think a popular platoon name like Pillar will either more money or a bigger role elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I’m just highly skeptical they are giving up on Mazara already and relegate him to the bench. Plus he’s a better hitter against RHP than Puig. If Mazara starts, I don’t see Puig or NC coming here for a platoon role.

Heck, I think a popular platoon name like Pillar will either more money or a bigger role elsewhere.

I'm a big fan of Mazara

I just keep seeing Sox involved with Castellanos and apparently Puig

I'd be all for adding the cheper option or whoever of the two we can

Also, don't really think anyone will sit the bench, everyone will have a role whether in a platoon or otherwise

Some notes from Sox insider Steve Stone, on the emergency podcast with Chuck:

- thinks Sox get a reliever and possibly another RF to platoon with Nomar, but not as significant as some of the recent acquisitions

- doesn’t think the Sox were ever necessarily in on Castellanos

- high praise for Mendick, as well as Leury 

7 hours ago, fathom said:

Some notes from Sox insider Steve Stone, on the emergency podcast with Chuck:

- thinks Sox get a reliever and possibly another RF to platoon with Nomar, but not as significant as some of the recent acquisitions

- doesn’t think the Sox were ever necessarily in on Castellanos

- high praise for Mendick, as well as Leury 

Will Harris and Puig would make me happy, I prefer Yolmer over Mendick but I know CWS is high on the cheaper option in Mendick