Remaining Wish List

thxfrthmmrs

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The #1 priority should be getting a RH reliever that can actually strike people out and push Herrera for a setup role.  Right now, the ideal guy would be Will Harris if he’d accept a one year deal.  If not, I’d go after McHugh given his versatility.

McHugh might be looking for a 2/$12 million deal because he can handle a variety of roles, including swingman/starter. 

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I really don’t think McHugh gets two years.  Already 32 years old with some elbow concerns.  I think he’s a one year guy.

Quite a few teams will still be looking to pick up bullpen help. McHugh is a guy that can start games for teams in a pinch and do a serviceable job. 

45 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I really don’t think McHugh gets two years.  Already 32 years old with some elbow concerns.  I think he’s a one year guy.

I personally would not hesitate to sign Mchugh to a 2 year deal. That’s a fair contract for a high end RP anyways and he’s been incredibly effective in that role last 2 years. And perhaps putting him in the pen full time would help preserve his elbow. What I like about McHugh over other RP options is even if he’s a full time RP he could easily be a weapon as a multi-inning high leverage RP.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

One or two of Stammen/McHugh/Harris/Hudson and I'll be more than happy.  Give me Puig too just because I want all the Cubans

I think they sign one reliever to a mlb deal and look to sign several to minor league deals with spring training invites and see what happens. 

8 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I personally would not hesitate to sign Mchugh to a 2 year deal. That’s a fair contract for a high end RP anyways and he’s been incredibly effective in that role last 2 years. And perhaps putting him in the pen full time will preserve his elbow. What I like about McHugh over other RP options is even if he’s a full time RP he could easily be a weapon as a multi-inning high leverage RP.

At the right price I’m not against it, although I’d prefer to go one year with any bullpen additions if at all possible.  Given the volatility of relievers, I would like as much flexibility with the bullpen as we head into next offseason.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

At the right price I’m not against it, although I’d prefer to go one year with any bullpen additions if at all possible.  Given the volatility of relievers, I would like as much flexibility with the bullpen as we head into next offseason.

I do not think the Sox go multi year with any relievers remaining on the market. They want to compete in 2020, but preserve as much future flexibility as possible. 

They do not want to end up like the Cubs who are at essentially their max payroll budget and are unable to add.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yea 2 year deal is max I would go on a guy like McHugh, and $12M is probably the most money I would go as well. Unfortunately we need a high end RP to supplement this bullpen and we aren’t getting one for just one year deals (I speculate that Harris will also end up getting a 2 year deal somewhere)

9 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Yea 2 year deal is max I would go on a guy like McHugh, and $12M is probably the most money I would go as well. Unfortunately we need a high end RP to supplement this bullpen and we aren’t getting one for just one year deals (I speculate that Harris will also end up getting a 2 year deal somewhere)

I do think Harris will get a two year deal as well and I would definitely not do that given his age and higher AAV.  McHugh at 2/$12M I would consider if my staff felt his elbow was fine, but definitely wouldn’t go higher than that.

10 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

is this the perfect time to pounce on a SP trade? Seems like Hahn has won the off-season so far...but imagine a mic drop #1 or 2 Starter trade on top off all that he has done. 

Who to target and who would get it done without destroying the future? 

I could see it. I just get this feeling. 

A #1 or #2 isn't really happening. Blake Snell for Madrigal + vaughn ? Nah, not happening. 

Maybe Matt Boyd or Robbie Ray but those are #2/#3 likely and those would still cost a pretty penny.

I highly doubt a trade for SP happens with the acquisitions of Keuchel/Gio. There just isn't a good opportunity out there... I'd still *love* the Price/Beni give away from Boston, but it seems like they are unwilling to be realistic with their demands. Ah well. 

2 hours ago, GGajewski18 said:

One or two of Stammen/McHugh/Harris/Hudson and I'll be more than happy.  Give me Puig too just because I want all the Cubans

I can go with this plan on RP.  I am not a huge Puig fan, but depending on his price and willingness to platoon I am good with bringing him aboard.

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

is this the perfect time to pounce on a SP trade? Seems like Hahn has won the off-season so far...but imagine a mic drop #1 or 2 Starter trade on top off all that he has done. 

Who to target and who would get it done without destroying the future? 

I could see it. I just get this feeling. 

I think you got to wait and see what you have in Kopech & Cease while allowing some of your prospects to increase their value.  This is something you potentially revisit next offseason.

I have an idea that is probably not very good.

I was thinking about Hudson and eovaldi this offseason...got me thinking about Taillon.

The idea: trade for taillon with the idea of making him a bullpen swing man in 2021/2022. The pirates save the arb cost and uncertainty of his recovery and get a piece of low quality back. Sox get an interesting asset who could turn into a decent bullpen piece.

I don’t think I would even do this but now that the offseason is basically over this is what I think about when I look at this and next years terrible reliever markets.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think you got to wait and see what you have in Kopech & Cease while allowing some of your prospects to increase their value.  This is something you potentially revisit next offseason.

This^

This offseason the Sox have improved the short and medium term outlook of the club, while still importantly preserving flexibility for next offseason. 

The Sox really do not want to add too many multi year deals locking them into players that might not make sense. We can cut bait with Gonzalez/Encarnacion/Herrera/McCann/Colome/Mazara and free up quite a bit of payroll space for 2021. 

It's too soon for us to consider making a major trade that ships out some of our young assets. The roster is better, but we still do not know if we are genuine contenders yet. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

This^

This offseason the Sox have improved the short and medium term outlook of the club, while still importantly preserving flexibility for next offseason. 

The Sox really do not want to add too many multi year deals locking them into players that might not make sense. We can cut bait with Gonzalez/Encarnacion/Herrera/McCann/Colome/Mazara and free up quite a bit of payroll space for 2021. 

It's too soon for us to consider making a major trade that ships out some of our young assets. The roster is better, but we still do not know if we are genuine contenders yet. 

I agree here. Next winter is when they make that type of trade, should they win the AL Central. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Bullpen still has major issues and is right now projected by me to be the Achilles heal of the rebuild. Don’t like projecting Burdi, Hamilton etc with all those injuries and felt like some of the current mainstays are bound for some regression back to the mean. I know it is a crapshoot and some guys definitely have potential but this pen has some holes to be filled. 

19 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Fair enough. Maybe even mid season makes more sense once some prospects could really take off.

I am trying not to be overly optimistic, but if Moncada/Giolito keep pace with last season, Robert put up a ROY type of year and one of Cease/Kopech/Lopez turns the corner I think this team could be a playoff team and then some. Obviously it take a lot of things to go right but it isn’t out of possibility either. If we’re a true playoff team at mid season and needing another high end SP then I would consider making a splash.

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Bullpen still has major issues and is right now projected by me to be the Achilles heal of the rebuild. Don’t like projecting Burdi, Hamilton etc with all those injuries and felt like some of the current mainstays are bound for some regression back to the mean. I know it is a crapshoot and some guys definitely have potential but this pen has some holes to be filled. 

Who do you want tough?  Betances was probably the best option and now he’s off the board.  The reliever market is now basically a bunch of old fluky guys with Will Harris, Collin McHugh, and Craig Stammen leading the pack.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Definitely an area we’ll need to invest in next offseason, but we do have a ton of guys in the upper minors who could fill roles in the near future.