What would you consider a fair extension to be for Moncada?

joejoesox

17 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Been thinking about this lately, should the Sox go all out and give him something in the 10-12 year range?  Is that crazy talk at this point?

What about AAV?  20m?  Less or more?

Probably half of what you suggested years & AAV. Hes had 1 good year.

• Like 1

The current system makes it difficult to bring young players up to the Big Leagues, even though they appear to be ready. Teams are afraid of starting the clock on potential stars, because of losing them to free agency, well within their prime years. The Sox are likely to face this  dilemma with Robert. If a player is ready, any way that he can affordably be brought up in his early 20's, while still being retained through most of his prime, should be the best strategy. I would personally much prefer to have guys like Eloy, Moncada and Robert from their ages 23 to 31, than from their ages 31 to 39. Unfortunately, the current free agency rules are not structured in a way that affords teams the best opportunity to control a player for the 8 years between 23 and 31.

Moncada will turn 25 this Spring. I would prefer that they offer him more money than he would earn in arbitration, in order to extend him 2, or 3 years beyond 2024, when he is now scheduled to become a free agent. That would give the Sox control over him, for 6 or 7 more years, through his age 30, or 31 seasons. It would still give him an opportunity to enter free agency, at a young enough age, where he could seek one more big pay day.

I'm not sure that Moncada would want to agree to such terms, but I really like it for the Sox. It would keep him motivated, while guaranteeing that we have him for most of his prime. It also avoids having to pay him for years, during which he would likely be in decline and overpaid. Although it will only retain Eloy through his age 29 season, this is conceptually what they did with his contract and it seems like a very rational way to manage a payroll. It seems to make more sense than paying for past performance and committing to a long term contract, beyond a player's prime, which has become the norm, for free agents.

Edited by Lillian

48 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

I would love to lock up Moncada, but have a strong feeling Madrigal is a recipient of an extension before OD...maybe an arm too like Giolito or Kopech

I expect an extension for Madrigal before opening day.  These extensions have worked well for RH and are an important part of long term success.

• Like 1

I don't think Moncada would sign for much less than market value on his numbers from last year.

That's why I'd wait until next year to do it.  Let's make sure last year wasn't a fluke then commit to him completely. 

10/30.  They can play with the numbers to make it a gradual increase. 

Edited by black jack

I don't think they're going to extend Moncada and Giolito until they do it again. This is their last pre arb year. But if they're doing 2019 things or better, I think 5/80 for Giolito and 5/100 for Moncada. They'd have to be paid 20 million + in each of their 2 FA years that they're giving up. 

Bregman's contract is a good comparable for Moncada. He signed where Moncada is now, and got $100M, and only gave up 2 years of FA. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1