Hats off to the Front Office

KnightsOnMintSt

Hats off, indeed.

I spent so much time on this site last winter, the very thought of ever returning made my stomach turn (as my last day here was the day the Machado news turned all of us upside down).

While the work is by no means done, credit is due. 

For me, jumping on Grandal early was genius. It also hurt the Sox from a PR standpoint, as most of the general public had "forgotten" about that deal by the time the Winter meetings rolled around.

Maybe these guys, who do this for a living, actually know what they're doing...

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2019 at 11:04 PM, Good Guys said:

If the Sox sign EE and add some bullpen pieces I think they will have won the offseason.  No team will have improved more on paper.  

I've been critical of this front office for awhile. But I believe that they've earned every last morsel of ridicule and critique they've gotten over the past ~8 or so years.

That said, I have to compliment this front office for stepping outside their safety zone to make the improvements they've made this offseason. Well done, RH and KW and JR.

For my part, I would have preferred a few different moves than some that were made, but at least they've made a reasoned approach to this offseason.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

15 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I've been critical of this front office for awhile. But I believe that they've earned every last morsel of ridicule and critique they've gotten over the past ~8 or so years.

That said, I have to compliment this front office for stepping outside their safety zone to make the improvements they've made this offseason. Well done, RH and KW and JR.

For my part, I would have preferred a few different moves than some that were made, but at least they've made a reasoned approach to this offseason.

Other than Wheeler over Keuchel, arguing over one of the second/third tier guys vs. Gio G., or thinking we should have added Ozuna/Castellanos/Puig instead of Mazara, there's not a WHOLE lot to argue with.

Maybe the potential upside of Betances for the bullpen, but he seemed pretty determined to stay in NYC.

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Other than Wheeler over Keuchel, arguing over one of the second/third tier guys vs. Gio G., or thinking we should have added Ozuna/Castellanos/Puig instead of Mazara, there's not a WHOLE lot to argue with.

Maybe the potential upside of Betances for the bullpen, but he seemed pretty determined to stay in NYC.

Nah, arguing the top guys (Cole/Strasburg/Rendon) or even Wheeler vs Keuchel really is a canard. And to be honest, not really worth discussing; of course we'd all prefer the top FA targets over lesser ones.

I dont much disagree with signing Keuchel, as this rotation needed quality starts and leadership almost as much as it needed top end talent.

I would have preferred Porcello over Gonzalez, only to the point that I think Porcello will be a better pitcher going forward. And, his Cy Young and WS ring would have added more leadership to the pitching staff. But, I think Gonzalez may have been chosen for his experience as both a SP and RP, so that he can move to the Pen when Kopech arrives.

On Mazara, I'm not convinced about his defense, which is not "nothing." (Particularly when there's already a butcher in LF.) I also wonder about having to bet on both him AND Robert's rookie season AND Eloy avoiding a sophomore slump all simultaneously. 

I think I would have preferred Puig over Mazara. 

I like Encarnacion's bat, but all the questionable gloves among the OFers means that Engel and his turd of a bat will start ~60 or more games next year. (Dont talk to me about Engel's garbage time heroics hitting in 2019 with the juiced ball; I dont buy into those results.) 

9 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

They have put Mazara in a position to succeed.  He is an afterthought to the common fan and has zero pressure to perform.  He is also surrounded by Latin players that can have a positive impact on him.

There is a lot to be said about being comfortable in life.

I agree and I hope this is correct.  Would make this acquisition the steal of the offseason.  

Of course his stat history says he’s probably gonna suck but what’s the fun in that.  Plenty of decent reasons to think the breakout is here.  

i spent close to 10 offseasons rationalizing that Beckham & Avi JUST HAD to take a step forward THIS year.  I can do it again with Mazara!

• Like 1

It’s funny how happy I am with the offseason considering just about every player they signed was someone at the beginning of the offseason that I mentioned was low on my list. I think it’s the combination of getting so many of these guys that makes it such a good offseason. I’m still bummed they couldn’t get JDM or Castellanos.

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

lol maybe, but the Dash changing their logo isn't much evidence.

Well, it used to be affiliates accentuating or emphasizing their local roots and running in the opposite direction of the Chicago connection, so there’s that.

We’re the 2013 Royals.  Pegged at 84-86 wins (2020 Sox), they finished 86-76.