Free Agent relief pitcher ideas besides Betances

knightni

6 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I think a reliable RH 8th inning guy is needed. No way we can go into the season thinking Herrera is that guy. 

Herrera looked good the last month, maybe he bounces back.  I am wary about throwing a lot of money at free agent relievers.  I think you bring a lot of arms into camp and let them sort it out.  Their best set up men last year were people no one saw coming like Bummer, Marshall, and Jimmy Cordero.  Herrera was the big free agent.  I could see Burdi, Hamilton, Guerrero, Foster, and non-roster guys fighting it out with Covey and Fulmer for the last spot in the bullpen.  You gotta figure a lot of guys are going to rotate, so depth is more important to me than one “name” reliever.

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

Herrera looked good the last month, maybe he bounces back.  I am wary about throwing a lot of money at free agent relievers.  I think you bring a lot of arms into camp and let them sort it out.  Their best set up men last year were people no one saw coming like Bummer, Marshall, and Jimmy Cordero.  Herrera was the big free agent.  I could see Burdi, Hamilton, Guerrero, Foster, and non-roster guys fighting it out with Covey and Fulmer for the last spot in the bullpen.  You gotta figure a lot of guys are going to rotate, so depth is more important to me than one “name” reliever.

Bummer belongs in the 8th...I don’t think any righties in our pen other than Herrera have 8th inning stuff though. I’m comfortable with Fry, Marshall, and Cordero as the primary 6th/7th inning guys, but I think we lack 1 more RH we can count on in high pressure 7/8 inning situations. I’d love to think Herrera will be healthy and better next year, but it’s a risk I’m not willing to take if we are trying to compete with the Twins for the division. I’d like a second option. I agree not overpaying, but I’m not sure anyone left is getting much of a deal anyway. I’d hesitate to give anyone more than 2/12 guaranteed. 

If we do indeed sign EE I think McCann could be a good candidate to trade for a RP. If he has a role as back up C/DH platoon it makes sense to keep him, but as a pure back up that only starts 20 or so  games a year I say maximize whatever value he has in a trade. The A’s don’t have a C...McCann for Yusmeiro Petit or Joakim Soria? I also think Collins could net us a pretty good reliever with a few years of control if we go that route. 

What about Tyler Chatwood and/or Kimbrel from the Cubs if the Cubs keep 50% of their salaries and we give up nothing prospects?

Chatwood 1/6.25 and Kimbrel at 3/24 might be buy lows worth taking. Chatwood has the stuff to pitch in the AL and could be another starting option in a pinch.

If Kimbrel really is washed, you can still probably flip him to an NL team by eating 50% at any point I would think. 

Also do the Marlins have any relievers who would be worth going after with Zach Collins? Send him back to Miami where he raked in college to give them a local connection that they could sorely use down there.

On 12/25/2019 at 11:07 AM, GGajewski18 said:

I want Craig Stammen and Colin McHugh

I think stammen is going to be the guy. There is no high K guy available so rather just go after a guy effective and VERY VERY good command.

For K guys, I think we need to milb contract dive. My favs would be cingrani and Salazar. Very likely to be washed but worth a shot.

2 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

Is there a scenario where all five starters are pitching well enough to stay in the rotation come the end of May, and Kopech gets called up to pitch out of pen? I know he’ll be a starter long term, but is there any way he pitches out of the pen this year?

I wouldn't say never. 

Sale was the closer one year.

5 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

Is there a scenario where all five starters are pitching well enough to stay in the rotation come the end of May, and Kopech gets called up to pitch out of pen? I know he’ll be a starter long term, but is there any way he pitches out of the pen this year?

He's going to be on an innings limit so maybe? It would probably depend on what his innings were at and if the Sox were in contention.

1 hour ago, BackDoorBreach said:

He's going to be on an innings limit so maybe? It would probably depend on what his innings were at and if the Sox were in contention.

Yeah, I’m picturing a possible scenario where everything goes right, and Kopech and Rodon come to be lockdown relievers for us in a playoff run. Obviously pretty far fetched, but fun to dream. 

• Like 1