Fangraphs: Dallas Keuchel's Wait is Over and the White Sox are going for it

bmags

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/dallas-keuchels-wait-is-over-and-the-white-sox-are-going-for-it/

Good stuff:

How helpful? Well, last season’s Braves provided us with a good reference. Keuchel’s 112.2 innings in Atlanta were split close to evenly between two catchers: Tyler Flowers and Brian McCann. Flowers, like Grandal, is one of baseball’s very best defensive catchers – he was tied with Grandal in Runs Extra Strikes, and was third in framing runs despite catching hundreds of innings fewer than the other catchers in the top four. McCann, meanwhile, was closer to an average framing catcher in his age-35 season, finishing eighth in Runs Extra Strikes and 19th in framing runs. The sample size isn’t huge, and this sort of comparison is an admittedly crude measure, but the contrast in Keuchel’s numbers when pitching to the two was stark.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Fangraphs has the Twins about 4 wins better at the moment. Encarnacion and a good reliever as well as Puig as the platoon partner could put us over the top....ofcourse Minnesota would be expected to still add pitching as well.

unfortunately I don't know that there is enough left in FA to expect catching up. Need have players like Jimenez and especially Lopez outperform.

• knightni changed the title to Fangraphs: Dallas Keuchel's Wait is Over and the White Sox are going for it
1 hour ago, bmags said:

As I noted in his thread, Keuchel would be the main beneficiary of what should be a very solid defensive club when Madrigal and Robert are integrated in.

On paper this is a solid move but the proof will be in the pudding with any Hahn FA.

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Fangraphs has the Twins about 4 wins better at the moment. Encarnacion and a good reliever as well as Puig as the platoon partner could put us over the top....ofcourse Minnesota would be expected to still add pitching as well.

Can you provide a link for this please?  

51 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

As I noted in his thread, Keuchel would be the main beneficiary of what should be a very solid defensive club when Madrigal and Robert are integrated in.

On paper this is a solid move but the proof will be in the pudding with any Hahn FA.

I love Tim...he has to be better this year defensively.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I love Tim...he has to be better this year defensively.

If Tim improves to league average defensive SS and they can get Jose off 1B a few times a week the infield should be pretty solid.  Moncada and Madrigal are going to vacuum up anything in their area.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

19 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

If Keuchel can hold something close to those peripherals while pitching to Grandal, this signing will be a bargain. Super encouraging to see those numbers. Hopefully we don't see a lot of James McCann or Collins catching him this season.

Both of our new starters are known for pitching out of the zone.  Grandal is a great catcher for these kind of guys.

• Haha 1