Possible extension with Robert

EvilJester99

With this being even reported, I feel pretty good about it happening. 

8 years, 90 million should be nice enough to get it done. Huge investment in a guy whose never played in the big leagues, but talk about an upside.

If Robert is really good, he's worth 60+ million in arb so they're buying out 2 years at 15 million a piece to buy out the arb years. Seems fair.

3 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

Would think if Robert signs, Moncada would be next IMO.... But Moncada seems like a money guy for sure.... maybe an extension to buy out 1 year, but 2 or 3? ehhhh I don't think so.

Moncada is probably past the point of no return on this imo

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Moncada is probably past the point of no return on this imo

What I was thinking too.... Sox just will have to pony up for him in order to convince him. He's probably the most likely of anyone to leave after his arb years.

Edited by Soxnfins

1 minute ago, daggins said:

I would wait on Robert, even at the cost of some millions. He has probably the most variance of outcomes of our high-end prospects.

Not sure I agree with this. He's a + defender and + base runner. 

Right now, with a projected wRC+ of 112 (12% better than the league) Robert projects out next year to be a 3 WAR player in 150 games. If he hit below league average and his defense is as good as advertised he's a 3 WAR player as a below average hitter in the big leagues. That's the safest floor of any of their prospects. The more tools, the safer the prospect.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Soxnfins said:

What I was thinking too.... Sox just will have to pony up for him in order to convince him. He's probably the most likely of anyone to leave after his arb years.

Don't want to sell this point too much, but Moncada is the only guy who has publicly said he'd like to sign on and stay with the organization for his entire career.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Don't want to sell this point too much, but Moncada is the only guy who has publicly said he'd like to sign on and stay with the organization for his entire career.

I read that one, but money does different things to different people.  I believe he's the only one aside from Abreu.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Not sure I agree with this. He's a + defender and + base runner. 

Right now, with a projected wRC+ of 112 (12% better than the league) Robert projects out next year to be a 3 WAR player in 150 games. If he hit below league average and his defense is as good as advertised he's a 3 WAR player as a below average hitter in the big leagues. That's the safest floor of any of their prospects. The more tools, the safer the prospect.

Projections for prospects don't mean much. It's very easy to see a wRC+ of something like 80-90 or even worse and he ends up like Lew Brinson. 

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

No player is going to say “I don’t want to be here” or “I’ll stay if they pay me the most money.”

There is a difference between a player saying I love it here and would like to stay... and a player saying I love the organization and would like to be apart of it for life. I appreciated what they did for my friend and I'd like to do the same thing as him.

I agree that actions speak louder than words but when asked how he felt about the white sox taking care of abreu, he didn't have to answer that he loved it and would like to do the same. He could have merely supported abreu but instead commented in the impact it had on his desires to remain with the organization.