Possible extension with Robert

EvilJester99

3 minutes ago, daggins said:

Projections for prospects don't mean much. It's very easy to see a wRC+ of something like 80-90 or even worse and he ends up like Lew Brinson. 

Ok. As I said hes a 2.5+ WAR player with a wRC+ of 90. 

The more tools the less risky a prospect. Calling a guy the most risky prospect when he impacts the game in 5 ways just isnt a valid concern imo. Robert is safer than say Eloy who relies on 2 tools to carry his card.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I hope the Sox have discussed an extension with Moncada as well. Even getting just one more year of control out of him would be huge.

Not saying this is likely, or what's happening, but it would almost make more sense for the Sox to wait out this season and see Moncada duplicate last year and then just throw huge money at him that is similar to a FA extension. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Not saying this is likely, or what's happening, but it would almost make more sense for the Sox to wait out this season and see Moncada duplicate last year and then just throw huge money at him that is similar to a FA extension. 

Yeah, Moncada now doesn't have nearly the amount of personal risk these sorts of deals are trying to take advantage of. 

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

Yeah, Moncada now doesn't have nearly the amount of personal risk these sorts of deals are trying to take advantage of. 

Neither does Robert. Robert already got $26M from the Sox. 

Both Moncada and Giolito have recently made comments to the media that they love being here. 

Maybe winning is more important than dollars to them? Moncada does seem like one of those guys who likes to flaunt his cash, so who knows? 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Both Moncada and Giolito have recently made comments to the media that they love being here. 

Maybe winning is more important than dollars to them? Moncada does seem like one of those guys who likes to flaunt his cash, so who knows? 

Robert still has the risk of not making another dime on top of that. Moncada really doesn't. We also have no idea how much of that bonus money actually made it to Luis's hands. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

There is a difference between a player saying I love it here and would like to stay... and a player saying I love the organization and would like to be apart of it for life. I appreciated what they did for my friend and I'd like to do the same thing as him.

I agree that actions speak louder than words but when asked how he felt about the white sox taking care of abreu, he didn't have to answer that he loved it and would like to do the same. He could have merely supported abreu but instead commented in the impact it had on his desires to remain with the organization.

This is why I'm not worried about Yoyo. I've said it all fall, butsigning Abreu would go a long way with building some cred with him. If we offer him a fair deal, I think he stays. It won't be a situation were he bolts on us if salaries are the same. 

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Winning is important if the money lines up. Abreu loves it here but he certainly made sure he got paid. 

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I find it hard to imagine any scenario where Moncada doesn't make at least $10 million in arbitration. 

Me too, mostly because I think he's going to hit .300+ again with 35 bombs. I think Abreu and Moncada are close friends and I think the Sox signing Abreu to that deal was doing everything they can to keep Moncada happy. Jerry didn't let Hurt go, so I have a hard time thinking that he's going to let the best player they've had since #35 walk. He's 84 years old and he can't take the money with him. 

I think the Sox are going to shell out big money to Giolito and Moncada if they do it again. Moncada might as well do a 10/250 or something like that at the end of the season if he puts up 8 WAR like we all think he will. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Me too, mostly because I think he's going to hit .300+ again with 35 bombs. I think Abreu and Moncada are close friends and I think the Sox signing Abreu to that deal was doing everything they can to keep Moncada happy. Jerry didn't let Hurt go, so I have a hard time thinking that he's going to let the best player they've had since #35 walk. He's 84 years old and he can't take the money with him. 

I think the Sox are going to shell out big money to Giolito and Moncada if they do it again. Moncada might as well do a 10/250 or something like that at the end of the season if he puts up 8 WAR like we all think he will. 

I mean that even if Moncada had something terrible happen to him this season the White Sox are still going to offer him arbitration the next 2 years and that would still pile up $10 million more for him.

51 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

With this being even reported, I feel pretty good about it happening. 

8 years, 90 million should be nice enough to get it done. Huge investment in a guy whose never played in the big leagues, but talk about an upside.

If Robert is really good, he's worth 60+ million in arb so they're buying out 2 years at 15 million a piece to buy out the arb years. Seems fair.

They’re only buying out one free agent year and like two extra weeks.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

In arb1?  

Read the line immediately above the one you replied to. 

If Moncada has another comparable year to last year then yes, $10 million+ in Arb1. That's the going rate set by Bryant.

If Moncada has a nightmarish season of injuries and bad performance, he'll still get $5 million or so in arbitration and the White Sox will still offer again in 2022 even if he has a terrible 2021. So at the very least he has $10 million+ coming, even if his career falls completely apart.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Y2Jimmy doesn’t fuck around and pretend to play insider.  He only shares info when he has high confidence in it.

Thanks for that. I'll say this: locking him in is definitely part of their plan. I have no idea what Robert or his representation wants to do though. 

• Love 2

51 minutes ago, daggins said:

Projections for prospects don't mean much. It's very easy to see a wRC+ of something like 80-90 or even worse and he ends up like Lew Brinson. 

I am as excited as anyone else about Robert. The ceiling is so high but I'd feel a lot better about his natural talent if he could show some restraint on pitch selection, His aggressiveness will surely be exploited in MLB. His talent has taken him far but it was only one great year where he flew through 3 levels. His mind will take him the extra step into  superstardom. Eloy found that out after slider after slider after slider with a lot more experience and time doing well in the minors than Robert.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Read the line immediately above the one you replied to. 

If Moncada has another comparable year to last year then yes, $10 million+ in Arb1. That's the going rate set by Bryant.

If Moncada has a nightmarish season of injuries and bad performance, he'll still get $5 million or so in arbitration and the White Sox will still offer again in 2022 even if he has a terrible 2021. So at the very least he has $10 million+ coming, even if his career falls completely apart.

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying.  Agreed.  

I'd be a little surprised if he got $10M in arb1 unless he goes bonkers in 2020, but I don't think he'll be that far off from that number either.  

Between Robert and Madrigal...you want Luis on the opening day roster way more and he imo is a smaller risk at locking in. Madrigal can contract up after a year or two of success, since his impact will not be potentially top 25 player in baseball ceiling like Roberts. I'm really impressed with this offseason. If only Wheelers wife wasn't there to muck it up.

Edited by EloyJenkins

15 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Thanks for that. I'll say this: locking him in is definitely part of their plan. I have no idea what Robert or his representation wants to do though. 

Do you think the Sox are discussing something similar with Moncada in regards to an extension?

Edited by YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES!