Possible extension with Robert

EvilJester99

4 minutes ago, centerfieldsixers said:

Madrigal ,.. no.. I rather them try with Moncada first. Robert already has his money I believe.  He needs another year of health. Talent off the charts no doubt.

funny thing is now they dont care about service time?  thats all we hear from them on this board and the F/O

They do care about service time.  I have no doubt Eloy doesn’t make the opening day roster last season if he didn’t sign the extension.  Same goes for Robert and Madrigal this season.

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

They do care about service time.  I have no doubt Eloy doesn’t make the opening day roster last season if he didn’t sign the extension.  Same goes for Robert and Madrigal this season.

If I remember correctly Eloy was sent down right before the extension was signed so the plan was for him to wait the few weeks in Charlotte before coming up. Fortunately they reached that deal and he became he opening day LF all of a sudden

11 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

If I remember correctly Eloy was sent down right before the extension was signed so the plan was for him to wait the few weeks in Charlotte before coming up. Fortunately they reached that deal and he became he opening day LF all of a sudden

An extension would do the same thing for Robert. The trade would be similar to that of Eloy - Robert would effectively give up 1 year of free agency and in exchange he'd guarantee himself $40+ million.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

An extension would do the same thing for Robert. The trade would be similar to that of Eloy - Robert would effectively give up 1 year of free agency and in exchange he'd guarantee himself $40+ million.

Agreed. I was just pointing out that the Sox and rightfully so do care about service time and if it wasn’t for the extension he would have never started out in Chicago.

Just now, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Agreed. I was just pointing out that the Sox and rightfully so do care about service time and if it wasn’t for the extension he would have never started out in Chicago.

One extra benefit/something Robert's side could use to extract a couple more million here - the White Sox might genuinely be motivated to get this done by not wanting to lose games in April while he's stuck in AAA for service time issues.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Neither does Robert. Robert already got $26M from the Sox. 

Both Moncada and Giolito have recently made comments to the media that they love being here. 

Maybe winning is more important than dollars to them? Moncada does seem like one of those guys who likes to flaunt his cash, so who knows? 

They all seem to like playing for Ricky.  Our secret weapon.

• Like 1

Why would Robert go for eight years at a paltry 10 mill per annum? Wouldn't he be smarter to sign through age 26 or 27 season at about 15 mill a season? Six years, 90 million; then when he's a free agent he'll be under 30.

Or is that not allowed? Do you have to play 8 years before you are a free agent? I forget.

Six total years of service time.  That's why teams wait the amount of days needed to keep a player down to effectively get the 7th year of control.  They could have seven years without any sort of extension signed.  Getting an eight year deal signed, would basically buy them an extra season and about two or three weeks extra weeks in season one. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Why would Robert go for eight years at a paltry 10 mill per annum? Wouldn't he be smarter to sign through age 26 or 27 season at about 15 mill a season? Six years, 90 million; then when he's a free agent he'll be under 30.

Or is that not allowed? Do you have to play 8 years before you are a free agent? I forget.

The Sox would have no incentive to do 6 years and 90 mil. But I agree, I suspect if it's an 8 year deal, the dollar amount will likely be higher than $80-90 mil. That's buying 2 free agent years, right? Unless the Sox play the service time game with him, which might not be the best idea. Everyone seems to be watching for that now.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sarava said:

The Sox would have no incentive to do 6 years and 90 mil. But I agree, I suspect if it's an 8 year deal, the dollar amount will likely be higher than $80-90 mil. That's buying 2 free agent years, right? Unless the Sox play the service time game with him, which might not be the best idea. Everyone seems to be watching for that now.

If Robert is not on OD roster it is clear service time manipulation.

Madrigal you can argue about pretty easily but not LuBob.  

8 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

If Robert is not on OD roster it is clear service time manipulation.

Madrigal you can argue about pretty easily but not LuBob.  

Sure, but every team in baseball does it.  He still has to work on K rate, swinging at off speed pitches out of zone and improving walk rate.  He went through three levels last year.   It’s not like they had him parked at AA or AAA for for a full season delaying his major league debut.   Just the fact a player went through three teams on one minor league season of 140ish games invalidates any possible argument.

And Leury arguably was better than replacement level.  It wouldn’t be shocking for a Robert to have an OPS in the mid to low 700s at all.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Sure, but every team in baseball does it.  He still has to work on K rate, swinging at off speed pitches out of zone and improving walk rate.  He went through three levels last year.   It’s not like they had him parked at AA or AAA for for a full season delaying his major league debut.   Just the fact a player went through three teams on one minor league season of 140ish games invalidates any possible argument.

And Leury arguably was better than replacement level.  It wouldn’t be shocking for a Robert to have an OPS in the mid to low 700s at all.

I know every team does it and I hope they manipulate the shit out of his time if he doesn't get an extension.

With the Bryant stuff I'm just wondering if teams are more weary of it now.