Castellanos to Reds , rumored 4/64M

Bad Hombre

7 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

And that money is starting to add up, and that severely limits what the Sox are going to “be able” to do the next several years as guys get hurt or underperform. And, knowing that the money is “limited,” I just can’t believe it makes sense to spend a good chunk of it on a guy that blocks two of your best prospects when they are both on the cusp of the MLB. Why not spend it on a position you don’t already have filled by several guys?

Because then you deal from strength when it's time to consolidate or roster balance.  Also 26 man rosters now.   Corner players and DHs got a little more valuable.

Just now, fathom said:

I think Bryant is long gone. Likely Braves if they miss on Donaldson.

Would Cubs need to work on multiple deals with teams depending on how the grievance works out?  They are getting quite screwed by this because I am sure teams want to see how long they would keep Bryant.  And I wonder who the market still is for him other than Braves.  Phillies still?

My pre FA plan was Mazara as 4th OF and Nick in RF.  If we can get both that's pretty decent upside.

I'm just not sold at all on Mazara and there is no reason to be.  At least with Nick you know he's going to fuck at the plate.  I've said this a million times but all of his metrics have him progressing in the power dept.  Getting out of Comerica is just a bonus.  AND he knows the division.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, fathom said:

Just throwing this out as a hypothetical. What if they sign EE and Castellanos and then use Mazara and Collins to acquire a stud reliever?

I don’t see that happening.  I think it’s pretty clear that we’re adding at least one bat that can help at DH and/or RF.

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Yeah, I’m sure a Boras client is going to wait until the Cubs possibly trade Bryant. All the while, FAs are flying off the board and suitors are shrinking. Sounds like someone who hired Boras to me.

Castellanos, Donaldson and Ozuna are the best bats out there right now and I would bet that Castellanos holds out the longest of those 3, Boras won’t let him get less than Ozuna at a minimum I’d be willing to bet 

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

Rumor is he will sign after they trade Bryant 

I’m not buying this.  Castellanos is banking on the Bryant ruling going the Cubs way, which reportedly won’t happen until 2020 so they can trade Bryant, and free up money for him?

What if the ruling doesn’t go the Cubs way?  What if they still can’t get a good enough return for Bryant in a trade even if they retain two years of his control after the grievance ruling?  That’s simply way too many “if’s” for Castellanos to be banking on.

You buy into Chicago media BS a bit too much.  Did some Cubs radio lemming on The Score say this?

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

My pre FA plan was Mazara as 4th OF and Nick in RF.  If we can get both that's pretty decent upside.

I'm just not sold at all on Mazara and there is no reason to be.  At least with Nick you know he's going to fuck at the plate.  I've said this a million times but all of his metrics have him progressing in the power dept.  Getting out of Comerica is just a bonus.  AND he knows the division.

He’s literally the ideal bat you want at the Cell. Those line drive doubles turn into about 25-30% more dingers here. This would make me happy in pants to get him. 

2 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I'd be a helluva lot happier with the Mazara trade if he's mostly depth.  Deal makes a lot more sense from a contention standpoint next two years if he's just a hopeful depth move and not a locked in 600 PA starter.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

I am still going to wait and see here. I am not a fan of EE (though sanguine on it since it's so clearly a 1 year deal likely), but I really have believed in Castellanos bat as being plus his next three years so there is part of this that does excite me.

Why don’t you like EE?

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

How embarrassing is this for that organization? What a joke. Crying poor and moving your HOF caliber player while bringing in record revenues. Jaysus.

And a new network that will make them even more money at $10 to $12 bucks a pop per household per month.  And the lemmings will still pay for it, even at the end of their era of being good.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why don’t you like EE?

I think he's a fine bat (one of my favorite offensive players of the decade), I don't particularly see it as so productive. Would rather shore up other stuff. But it's not like, offensive to me or anything.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, but why acquire Mazara if you're not going to give him the opportunity to play nearly everyday? Castellanos would also be very expensive insurance for Mazara.

I wouldn't be angry about this, and I'm beginning to think this team actually has a plan for once, but it just seems like a misuse of resources that could be better spent on better fits.

If we signed Castellanos, he and Mazara would split time at RF & DH.  If Nomar failed, Collins or Mercedes would become the interim DH with Nick the regular RF.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

And a new network that will make them even more money at $10 to $12 bucks a pop per household per month.  And the lemmings will still pay for it, even at the end of their era of being good.

Wouldn't be so sure about that. Sox have a real chance to make in roads in town the next couple years. 

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'd be a helluva lot happier with the Mazara trade if he's mostly depth.  Deal makes a lot more sense from a contention standpoint next two years if he's just a hopeful depth move and not a locked in 600 PA starter.

That is literally what I wanted him for before FA, but then got the "FOURTH OF NEEDS TO BE + DEFENSE WAHHGHH" on here, which I get. I felt before we got him Mazara would be a decent gamble to just balance the lineup with.  If he sucks it's fine because BDN is smashing 80+ XBHs a year.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

That is literally what I wanted him for before FA, but then got the "FOURTH OF NEEDS TO BE + DEFENSE WAHHGHH" on here, which I get. I felt before we got him Mazara would be a decent gamble to just balance the lineup with.  If he sucks it's fine because BDN is smashing 80+ XBHs a year.

With Leury around and an extra roster spot they can make it work.  Only problem might be Renteria executing it.

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

It is a really bad look, but it isn't like they don't have a top 5 MLB payroll...they just don't want to go into the luxury tax.  They are just being killed by the bad contracts of Heyward and Chatwood.  Lester is a bad contract now, but I wouldn't consider that a bad deal.  And that Kimbrel one is going to turn out to be horrible I think too.  Too many BIG swings and misses hurting them.

18 minutes ago, fathom said:

Just to play devils advocate, this could easily be a leak by Boras to get Cubs to finalize his deal if some of the rumors are true about Castellanos eventually going back to the Cubs.

HA yeah I had a similar conspiracy theory thought as well.

Boras: Hey Rick ,Keuchel will sign with you but I need something else.

Hahn: What's that ?

Boras: Let me use you to try to get Castellanos a deal .

Hahn: Ok, deal.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

HA yeah I had a similar conspiracy theory thought as well.

Boras: Hey Rick ,Keuchel will sign with you but I need something else.

Hahn: What's that ?

Boras: Let me use you to try to get Castellanos a deal .

Hahn: Ok, deal.

That really isn't that out whack of a theory IMO.  It is easy to just plant some stories.