Castellanos to Reds , rumored 4/64M

Bad Hombre

Castellanos  is better than many OF we have sent out there, like Palks, Tank, etc..  He certainly can be a serviceable outfielder for seven innings.

In the 8th, after our 2020 version of the SS Hitmen pound out a few home runs and take the lead, you put Leury or Engle out there as a defensive move.  Perhaps in the 8th you can have Leury, Engle and Robert in the outfield for Defense.

So, given that strategy, the arguments about defense vs offense are not all they are cracked up to be.

Jack some HRs, take the lead, throw in some replacements for Defense in late innings, and close the thing out.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

That really isn't that out whack of a theory IMO.  It is easy to just plant some stories.

The key is that Morosi is reporting this, not Heyman.

Heyman is Boras’s plant, not Morosi, from what I recall.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think giving up any prospect with value for a fourth outfielder when you already had leury would be a horrible plan.

Leury is going to be needed across the diamond, he'll be Tim's primary backup all year and you know Eloy is going to miss two weeks at some point in left.  There's plenty of ABs to go around I really don't see a problem trading Walker if this is the plan.  Walker wouldn't be useful the next two years for contending.  Mazara as a helluva platoon depth RF will be.

I think giving up any prospect with value for a fourth outfielder when you already had leury would be a horrible plan.

Not if you think you can unlock something with him.  I wouldn't think of it as we acquired him to be a 4th OFer, but getting someone else like Castellanos or whoever is just depth and insurance in case Mazara really can't make adjustments like the Rangers think.  I think the opposite...if we planned on Mazara to play regular RF that would be a mistake.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Mazara would end up still playing a lot of RF would be my guess with Castellanos playing DH and moving to RF when Grandal is DH 

Just now, BFirebird said:

Not if you think you can unlock something with him.  I wouldn't think of it as we acquired him to be a 4th OFer, but getting someone else like Castellanos or whoever is just depth and insurance in case Mazara really can't make adjustments like the Rangers think.  I think the opposite...if we planned on Mazara to play regular RF that would be a mistake.

It's the other way.   Mazara is depth in case Nick gets seriously hurt.  Hopefully.

1 minute ago, BFirebird said:

Of course they planned on mazara to play regular right field. Again they're not trading an asset and paying a guy 5.5 million to be a back up 4th outfielder who cant even play CF.

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Castellanos was even that bad defensively in Wrigley. GRF is  not like Comerica. I think the concerns over Castellanos’ defense are slightly overblown.

Absolutely right.

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Castellanos was even that bad defensively in Wrigley. GRF is  not like Comerica. I think the concerns over Castellanos’ defense are slightly overblown.

He's pretty fucking bad but he was much better in Wrigley which will play more similar to GRF than that Airport in Detroit.

It's not like he can't catch the ball he just doesn't have range. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Of course they planned on mazara to play regular right field. Again they're not trading an asset and paying a guy 5.5 million to be a back up 4th outfielder who cant even play CF.

There are plenty of at bats to be had for Mazara if they get Castellanos

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

You are correct. The shorten field helps Castellanos quite a bit. 

I don't think that's even a consideration given how much Leury played in CF last year.  Engel's time on the roster is up.

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

He's pretty fucking bad but he was much better in Wrigley which will play more similar to GRF than that Airport in Detroit.

It's not like he can't catch the ball he just doesn't have range. 

Using 2 months of defensive metrics to say a guy is different doesnt really work. 

Hes been the worst defensive player in mlb baseball. He doesnt just struggle in one year - he struggles in them all.

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

This. If you get Castellanos you almost make the lineups that Ricky can run out there fool proof to where he can’t possibly Jack it up, although somehow I’m sure he could find a way

• Haha 5

Just now, fathom said:

Furthermore, Mazara would probably rarely ever play against LHP.  If Castellanos hit LH I would be more concerned with having Mazara and BDN on the roster together.

• Like 1

Just now, HahnsKiddieTable said:

This. If you get Castellanos you almost make the lineups that Ricky can run out there fool proof to where he can’t possibly Jack it up, although somehow I’m sure he could find a way

He will find a way...lets not kid ourselves.  That brings up the question, with the accelerated rebuild here...can Rick handle this and should they have been looking for a replacement there too this offseason? 

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't think that's even a consideration given how much Leury played in CF last year.  Engel's time on the roster is up.

My point is your 4th outfielder needs to be able to play every position. Ironically enough I'd like engle more as a 4th outfielder than Mazara. Obviously I like mazara significantly more as a starter.

Using 2 months of defensive metrics to say a guy is different doesnt really work. 

Hes been the worst defensive player in mlb baseball. He doesnt just struggle in one year - he struggles in them all.

That's not really fair though.  He's only played RF for 2 years and improved in 2019.  Comerica is also not really good to play in if you don't have range, which he doesn't.

• Like 1

My point is your 4th outfielder needs to be able to play every position. Ironically enough I'd like engle more as a 4th outfielder than Mazara. Obviously I like mazara significantly more as a starter.

But why?  You already have Leury.  He's the backup CF.  He's a 4th OF that can also play SS.  They are good there unless TA gets hurt for an extended time.