Castellanos to Reds , rumored 4/64M

Bad Hombre

I have always thought that the Cubs would sign Castellanos, The Rangers are probably giving the Rickettts a run for their (unlimited) money.  If that is the case, Castellanos is going to get paid beyond what he is worth....maybe  20 Million/yr for 3- 5 years with an opt out.

Cubs have been silent this off-season while the sound from the South side has been deafening, so that might pressure the Ricketts to make a big splash.

They have money to burn and will not be overspent.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, tray said:

I have always thought that the Cubs would sign Castellanos, The Rangers are probably giving the Rickettts a run for their (unlimited) money.  If that is the case, Castellanos is going to get paid beyond what he is worth....maybe  20 Million/yr for 3- 5 years with an opt out.

Cubs have been silent this off-season while the sound from the South side has been deafening, so that might pressure the Ricketts to make a big splash.

I think you are wrong about the Cubs. While they have money they do not want to continually go over the tax threshold and lose picks. They are already near that threshold and will not spend money until they unload one of their players.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, tray said:

Tax threshold. They pretty much have 0 money to burn, especially with Bryant's case looming.

22 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think you are wrong about the Cubs. While they have money they do not want to continually go over the tax threshold and lose picks. They are already near that threshold and will not spend money until they unload one of their players.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cubs/why-cubs-and-theo-epstein-havent-done-anything-offseason

"The 2020 Cubs have lost significant talent from their 84-win 2019 team and have done almost nothing to replace ANY of those players. They still have no payroll flexibility to add even mediocre free agents to augment their roster."

“The Cubs are in a trick box. They did a terrible job locking up their young stars to deals that would have extended their window of contention," one executive said. "Yes, they got Rizzo and Starlin Castro but until Kyle Hendricks took a deal they had signed no one else long term from their core guys. Look across your city and see what Rick Hahn has been able to accomplish. He has a great young core and he has been able to sign some of his guys to outstanding deals.

The rest of the article is pretty overwhelmingly negative toward the Cubs. Feels good to be on the positive side of things for once...and hopefully it stays this way for a LONG while. The Sox need to work hard not to put themselves in the position the Cubs are in, and it seems like they have already forecasted this exact thing happening, with locking up their young core to good deals.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cubs/why-cubs-and-theo-epstein-havent-done-anything-offseason

"The 2020 Cubs have lost significant talent from their 84-win 2019 team and have done almost nothing to replace ANY of those players. They still have no payroll flexibility to add even mediocre free agents to augment their roster."

“The Cubs are in a trick box. They did a terrible job locking up their young stars to deals that would have extended their window of contention," one executive said. "Yes, they got Rizzo and Starlin Castro but until Kyle Hendricks took a deal they had signed no one else long term from their core guys. Look across your city and see what Rick Hahn has been able to accomplish. He has a great young core and he has been able to sign some of his guys to outstanding deals.

The rest of the article is pretty overwhelmingly negative toward the Cubs. Feels good to be on the positive side of things for once...and hopefully it stays this way for a LONG while. The Sox need to work hard not to put themselves in the position the Cubs are in, and it seems like they have already forecasted this exact thing happening, with locking up their young core to good deals.

I know we all know this, but it can't be stated enough how important and useful Rick's skill at getting players to sign these extensions are.

It's a bit of a gamble by both the players and the team, but they both get rewards. I just wonder how often he's calling up Moncada and Giolito's agents.

People forget that the Cubs have completed a very successful 5 year run. They could very well win that division the next two years making it a seven year run. The last two years have been down for them but they tied for the division two years ago and choked this past year. 

I am excited to see what this Sox roster comes to, but we haven't done squat yet. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tray said:

No idea why you think this, but the Cubs are a strict budget right now and won’t be adding Castellanos without moving a large salary first like Bryant’s.

3 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

They are a team trying to contend, looking for OF help, and willing to give up Mazara. That's how little they thought of Mazara.

yea see that now but given the other moves sox made I'm cool with walker for mazara.  they got the big bat they needed via EE and robert will be there from day 1 to cover for any range issues with eloy and mazara.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

yea see that now but given the other moves sox made I'm cool with walker for mazara.  they got the big bat they needed via EE and robert will be there from day 1 to cover for any range issues with eloy and mazara.

Yes, given all the other moves they made, I'm no longer extremely frustrated with that trade because Mazara is now the worst player on this team and in this line-up, and that's fine, given the chance he somehow figures it out. It's not like running JB Shuck out there in RF.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No idea why you think this, but the Cubs are a strict budget right now and won’t be adding Castellanos without moving a large salary first like Bryant’s.

I sure hope he leaves Chicago. My girlfriend is in love with that guy and he's 50x better looking than I am. And soon he'll have 50x more money. With a 50x cooler job. 

He is 50x the man I am. My ability to drink beer and scream at the TV during sporting events does not make up for that. 

• Haha 5
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I love Luis Robert, but he ain't that fast.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Fangraphs has his run grade at a 60, Pipeline at a 65, and BA at 70. That's pretty dang fast if you ask me.

I’m pretty sure oldsox’s comment is more of an indictment of Eloy and Mazara’s defense than Robert’s speed.  His point is that no super stud center fielder can make up for the massive defensive deficiencies of Eloy and Mazara.  Mazara isn’t very good and Eloy is a DH.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2