Castellanos to Reds , rumored 4/64M

Bad Hombre

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

If Castellanos's market has cratered to the point where he'd take a 1 or 2 year deal......Yes please. I don't want any 4 year deals. I prefer both financial and positional flexiblity for the Sox. 

He's not going to get 20 million.  They can sign him and still be under 130 million which is a reasonably low number for a grown up baseball team.

They also have 23 or 24 million coming off next year with McCann, Colome, and Herera.

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

If Castellanos's market has cratered to the point where he'd take a 1 or 2 year deal......Yes please. I don't want any 4 year deals. I prefer both financial and positional flexiblity for the Sox. 

Anyone know the payroll for the next few years. I thought I read a tweet or message on here somewhere saying it drops to like 76 mil next season. I don’t think any castellanos signing will cripple payroll in 3-4 years especially if you are only at 110 right now and this team gets good. JR and the Sox have spent when the team is good. No reason to doubt that moving forward 

I don’t believe Betts is a realistic get at all and Springer will also be paid a ton and will be on the wrong side of 30 next offseason.

If the Sox can sign 27 year old Castellanos to a reasonable deal this offseason, even with his defensive issues, I won’t mind at all.

• Like 2

Just now, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Anyone know the payroll for the next few years. I thought I read a tweet or message on here somewhere saying it drops to like 76 mil next season. I don’t think any castellanos signing will cripple payroll in 3-4 years especially if you are only at 110 right now and this team gets good. JR and the Sox have spent when the team is good. No reason to doubt that moving forward 

I'm just a little concerned about the impending Moncada/Giolito contracts. 

They have to fill a bullpen, but this is true: Should they sign Castellanos to a 4 year deal, Keuchel/Grandal/Castellanos will all come off right as Moncada/Giolito hit FA. 

1 minute ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I care far less about the money than I do about committing to terrible defense, and punting on a top 25 prospect widely considering to be an amazing bat just so we can keep 2 DHs in the field, and because people are impatient.

I would be really shocked to see the Sox do this - unless, again, his market has totally cratered. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I like catellanos bat to grow, but I'm not giving 80 million to a DH whose never had a wRC over 121.

If I had to pick, I would take EE over Castellanos for who has the highers 2020 wRC.  That is enough for me to say PASS!  Give me the guy that doesn't clog shit up long term.  And this is coming from someone that isn't even totally in love with the EE idea.  

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm just a little concerned about the impending Moncada/Giolito contracts. 

They have to fill a bullpen, but this is true: Should they sign Castellanos to a 4 year deal, Keuchel/Grandal/Castellanos will all come off right as Moncada/Giolito hit FA. 

They should be getting a few arms from the minors over the next couple years.  Hopefully.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

If I had to pick, I would take EE over Castellanos for who has the highers 2020 wRC.  That is enough for me to say PASS!  Give me the guy that doesn't clog shit up long term.  And this is coming from someone that isn't even totally in love with the EE idea.  

Yeah, this is my point as well.

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Why would Castellanos accept that?  He had an .863 OPS last season.

Because his bat is no where near worthy of 60 million as a DH and his "defensive improvement" that is being cited by his camp is 2 months of volatile defensive metrics. 

As I said, he would have had the 7th highest wRC+ for a DH last year in the AL. 

If he can go out and show that his second half was real, he could demand a lot more money than he can demand right now. If he can prove his defense has actually improved (it hasn't, newsflash), then he opens up the NL market as potential suitors. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Haha 1

His market clearly is in duress...which is the perfect time to pounce on him. Plus this move is a nice middle Finger to Cubs fans as Sox are clearly stealing most baseball headlines the next several seasons in Chicago. If they make this move, McCann deal may be in the works. That is what the winter meetings are for...plant the seeds and see if everything falls into place.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I had him around 16/3 before FA started.  He's probably around 18/4 right now because of how this market has been.  That is not going to cripple us and you can always trade him if need be.  Unless you trust Mazara is something he's never been, we need a legitimate RF bat still.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Because his bat is no where near worthy of 60 million as a DH and his "defensive improvement" that is being cited by his camp is 2 months of volatile defensive metrics. 

As I said, he would have had the 7th highest wRC+ for a DH last year in the AL. 

If he can go out and show that his second half was real, he could demand a lot more money than he can demand right now. If he can prove his defense has actually improved (it hasn't, newsflash), then he opens up the NL market as potential suitors. 

Well, when he ultimately and inevitably gets paid much more than that, we can put this to rest.

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I care far less about the money than I do about committing to terrible defense, and punting on a top 25 prospect widely considering to be an amazing bat just so we can keep 2 DHs in the field, and because people are impatient.

I would be really shocked to see the Sox do this - unless, again, his market has totally cratered. 

This is pretty much how I feel . I'm not going to be upset if somehow they sign Castellanos but it would be a puzzling move after Mazara. Of course still a long way to go in the off season so a lot can change so I won't judge it in a vacuum until we see what else happens this off season. Talent is talent and can always be moved.

I also agree about your EE comments.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yup.  Dude is 4 years older than Castellanos and his bat isn’t as good and he got 4/$64.

Defense matters. Moustakas proved he can play 3rd and 2nd above average at the big league level. Castellanos hasn't even proved he can play the OF and may have a lot less suitors because of that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Well, when he ultimately and inevitably gets paid much more than that, we can put this to rest.

oh, i don't think he would take my offer but that's what i would offer him.

this market has completely cratered in MLB baseball over the last few years though. It took JD Martinez months to get over 100 million and it was only 1 team who offered it to him. Castellanos is no where near Martinez with the bat. Baseball doesn't pay guys like him like they used too. It's possible his market is dead.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run