Castellanos to Reds , rumored 4/64M

Bad Hombre

4 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

His market clearly is in duress...which is the perfect time to pounce on him. Plus this move is a nice middle Finger to Cubs fans as Sox are clearly stealing most baseball headlines the next several seasons in Chicago. If they make this move, McCann deal may be in the works. That is what the winter meetings are for...plant the seeds and see if everything falls into place.

Makes sense. Get Castellanos, sell high on McCann, and allow Collins to be the backup catcher.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Just throwing this out as a hypothetical. What if they sign EE and Castellanos and then use Mazara and Collins to acquire a stud reliever?

I’d rather do this...

Let’s stay young and good, not get older and good.

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Makes sense. Get Castellanos, sell high on McCann, and allow Collins to be the backup catcher.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This is pretty much how I feel . I'm not going to be upset if somehow they sign Castellanos but it would be a puzzling move after Mazara. Of course still a long way to go in the off season so a lot can change so I won't judge it in a vacuum until we see what else happens this off season. Talent is talent and can always be moved.

I also agree about your EE comments.

Right - its not like I am going to be livid if it happens. Sox would on paper look super interesting in 2020.  It would be fun!

But it would also be super short sighted, and put a huge lack of focus on defense which we desperately need to improve.  

• Like 1

Any of Ozuna, EE, Or Castellanos would be another great bat, and this lineup would be looking really strong! Can never have too many quality pitchers or bats and could play the hot hand. As Hahn said with the pitching, we’ll worry about that problem when the time comes, and it would be a good problem to have if there are more than enough quality players deserving of playing time. Let’s go!

• Like 1

I'm getting hives imagining Ricky managing these many bats.

SS - Anderson
CF - Robert
3B - Moncada
1B - Abreu
LF - Jimenez
C - Grandal
DH - Castellanos
RF - Mazara
2B - Madrigal

Bench:

C/1B/DH - Collins
C / DH - McCann
OF/INF - Leury
OF - Engel
INF - Mendick

Even then, I'm assuming we only carry 4 on the bench.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Just throwing this out as a hypothetical. What if they sign EE and Castellanos and then use Mazara and Collins to acquire a stud reliever?

I have a feeling Collins is as good as gone regardless. He isn’t in your plans to be the starting catcher. First base is locked up with Vaughn and Abreu and he isn’t going to be your DH. Don’t see any room for him on the roster as is and they might as well get whatever value they can out of him now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

That would be OK, but then they're a little light on LH hitting again.

Yep then we are left wondering what's the plan ? Sox clearly wanted more LH's then tun around and trade them ? SOunds more like flying by the seat of your pants than a plan.

1 minute ago, Eminor3rd said:

At this point, this would be full Kenny Williams panic mode. 

Got to agree here.  Surprising so many Sox fans are willing to throw all their chips in the pot the very first time they get the chance.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Got to agree here.  Surprising so many Sox fans are willing to throw all their chips in the pot right the first time they get the chance.  

But what chips are they throwing in besides money?  They’re not blocking any of the core, haven’t tied up money to when the core guys would be free agents and haven’t had to deal Vaughn or Madrigal.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Got to agree here.  Surprising so many Sox fans are willing to throw all their chips in the pot right the first time they get the chance.  

We have people talking about trading Mazara for a RP. This isn't the NBA; the Sox didn't trade for Mazara in hopes of flipping him a week later. 

Sox fans seem uncomfortable accepting Mazara as the starting RF so they've convinced themselves that there's another move there - citing Puig and now Castellanos.

The Sox traded for Mazara to be their every day RF'er; this is why I don't really even buy the Castellanos rumor. It just doesn't make a lot of sense. If they wanted Castellanos, why not just keep Steele Walker and not trade for Mazara? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Got to agree here.  Surprising so many Sox fans are willing to throw all their chips in the pot the very first time they get the chance.  

I am still going to wait and see here. I am not a fan of EE (though sanguine on it since it's so clearly a 1 year deal likely), but I really have believed in Castellanos bat as being plus his next three years so there is part of this that does excite me.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

We have people talking about trading Mazara for a RP. This isn't the NBA; the Sox didn't trade for Mazara in hopes of flipping him a week later. 

Sox fans seem uncomfortable accepting Mazara as the starting RF so they've convinced themselves that there's another move there - citing Puig and now Castellanos.

The Sox traded for Mazara to be their every day RF'er; this is why I don't really even buy the Castellanos rumor. It just doesn't make a lot of sense. If they wanted Castellanos, why not just keep Steele Walker and not trade for Mazara? 

Sox fans didn't create this rumor though

But what chips are they throwing in besides money?  They’re not blocking any of the core, haven’t tied up money to when the core guys would be free agents and haven’t had to deal Vaughn or Madrigal.  

And there is no draft pick compensation attached to Castellanos.  It’s only money, folks...

• Thanks 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

This what I have been struggling with as well. It's all gung ho to win the division in 2020 and with a boatload of unproven youth and DH types.

The only way it would make sense is if they want to give Mazara a 1 year trial, and if he failed they released him and asserted Castellanos into RF - moving him back from DH. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The only way it would make sense is if they want to give Mazara a 1 year trial, and if he failed they released him and asserted Castellanos into RF - moving him back from DH. 

I didn’t think about this.  It protects against Mazara being a failure.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Sox fans didn't create this rumor though

Yeah, I should of said their excitement over the rumor.

This feels a lot more like Castellanos agent worrying that the market isn't there (it was always hard to buy the Cubs as a suitor for example), than the Sox actually being involved currently. Without the Cubs and the White Sox, what is his market? San Fran? Am I really supposed to believe that the Giants think Castellanos can play in possibly the toughest RF in MLB?