Castellanos to Reds , rumored 4/64M

Bad Hombre

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The only way it would make sense is if they want to give Mazara a 1 year trial, and if he failed they released him and asserted Castellanos into RF - moving him back from DH. 

They clearly liked Mazara for a while, as they tried to get him twice before. They clearly liked Castellanos, as they tried in the past to get him.  Maybe they jumped at chance to get Mazara, regardless of their plans, as they couldn’t believe the Rangers only wanted Walker instead of Walker as the 2nd piece.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I should of said their excitement over the rumor.

This feels a lot more like Castellanos agent worrying that the market isn't there (it was always hard to buy the Cubs as a suitor for example), than the Sox actually being involved currently. Without the Cubs and the White Sox, what is his market? San Fran? Am I really supposed to believe that the Giants think Castellanos can play in possibly the toughest RF in MLB?

See your second paragraph is exactly what I'm talking about in that a pillow deal may be possible.

Everyone thought Castellanos was going to be a 9 figure contract. Great second half, youngest position player. Teams needed OFers.

Who has been rumored on him? San Fran? The Cubs? There is no team going to sweep in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This feels a lot more like Castellanos agent worrying that the market isn't there (it was always hard to buy the Cubs as a suitor for example), than the Sox actually being involved currently. Without the Cubs and the White Sox, what is his market? San Fran? Am I really supposed to believe that the Giants think Castellanos can play in possibly the toughest RF in MLB?

Good.  If there's no market for him, there should be one -- on the Southside of Chicago.  He's a 3 WAR bat.  We need more of those.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fathom said:

They clearly liked Mazara for a while, as they tried to get him twice before. They clearly liked Castellanos, as they tried in the past to get him.  Maybe they jumped at chance to get Mazara, regardless of their plans, as they couldn’t believe the Rangers only wanted Walker instead of Walker as the 2nd piece.

Speaking of, on the thread about Castellanos on Reddit...

Screenshot_20191223-154306~2.png

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Trying to figure out how Boras is playing this or if this is a plant by him because his market is dried up is futile. 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Yeah, but why acquire Mazara if you're not going to give him the opportunity to play nearly everyday? Castellanos would also be very expensive insurance for Mazara.

I wouldn't be angry about this, and I'm beginning to think this team actually has a plan for once, but it just seems like a misuse of resources that could be better spent on better fits.

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

Just to play devils advocate, this could easily be a leak by Boras to get Cubs to finalize his deal if some of the rumors are true about Castellanos eventually going back to the Cubs.

I've never understood why fans think agents and teams negotiate through the media when 99% of the time teams get a chance to match or beat any "final offer".

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

And there is no draft pick compensation attached to Castellanos.  It’s only money, folks...

And that money is starting to add up, and that severely limits what the Sox are going to “be able” to do the next several years as guys get hurt or underperform. And, knowing that the money is “limited,” I just can’t believe it makes sense to spend a good chunk of it on a guy that blocks two of your best prospects when they are both on the cusp of the MLB. Why not spend it on a position you don’t already have filled by several guys?

1 minute ago, bmags said:

See your second paragraph is exactly what I'm talking about in that a pillow deal may be possible.

Everyone thought Castellanos was going to be a 9 figure contract. Great second half, youngest position player. Teams needed OFers.

Who has been rumored on him? San Fran? The Cubs? There is no team going to sweep in.

Yeah, I agree with this; as I said, I'd give him a high AAV contract for one year to prove his improvements were actually real.

The Cubs can't even sign guys for 5 million let alone 20 million. The Giants are always interesting as they may just do it, but man it doesn't make a lot of sense to have him play RF in that ballpark. The Rangers? They have 10000 outfielders already. Castellanos is really just running out of landing spots.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Just to play devils advocate, this could easily be a leak by Boras to get Cubs to finalize his deal if some of the rumors are true about Castellanos eventually going back to the Cubs.

The Cubs aren’t going to add any big contract until they know what the ruling is with Bryant’s grievance, since they are looking to trade him.  And this isn’t going to happen until after 2020.  Theo has been screwed all offseason, hence him making zero moves other than for minor league junk filler players.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cubs/decision-kris-bryants-service-time-grievance-wont-come-until-2020-report-says

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Just now, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Maybe the plan is:

2020: have Mazara play RF with Castellanos at DH. If Mazara does well, they’ll tender him and then trade him, allowing Castellanos to move back to RF for 2021

2021: Castellanos in RF, Abreu at DH, Vaughn at 1B

Still don't like the defense. 

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I've never understood why fans think agents and teams negotiate through the media when 99% of the time teams get a chance to match or beat any "final offer".

Boras absolutely plays the media; do you think he lets Heyman fist his ahole every night for fun?

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

Just now, tsak31 said:

This is my wish list as well (or I’d be very happy with Ozuna or EE if not Castellanos). Would love to take a shot with Betances. 

I’m over Ozuna... I’d go for EE because there’s no QO attached... seems to be the Sox way this offseason. IMO. Betances would be amazing. 1/8-10, easily have a solid 1-2 punch in the 8/9th inning with Betances and Colome. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I didn’t think about this.  It protects against Mazara being a failure.

100% this.  It will just create depth as long as they don't give some ridiculous contract, which based on the Grandal and Keuchel deals they are not going beyond 3-4 years.

• Like 1