Castellanos to Reds , rumored 4/64M

Bad Hombre

32 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

All of them combined lol.

DRS hes -67 (3rd worst in baseball)

Uzr/150 hes -7.4 (4th worst)

Arm is -9.2 (if he qualified that would be the 2nd worst)

Runs over replacement -18.7 (among outfielders that's 6th worst behind all the DH's I listed and 80 year old Melky Cabrera.

You don’t think it’s a little disingenuous to add everything together and ignore that he made legit progress in his 2nd year in the OF? 

Obviously he’s still not good in the OF, but there’s a lot of hyperbole to your posts. -9 DRS for a guy going to put up a 120/130 wRC+ hitter is palatable in my opinion. I obviously don’t value RF defense as much as you do, but that’s fine. Nothing wrong with disagreeing. I just personally think it’s a little crazy to think the world would crumble and the Sox couldn’t win if Castellanos is in RF.

1 minute ago, centerfieldsixers said:

Castellenos is a Boras client. He makes a market when there is none.  chances are we would overpay for him.  Do we want to do that when we are allegedly negotiatiang a 80+ million dollar contract on a player yet to play in the bigs? I think this is b.s. on Sox side.  Boras bringing up the market

Castellanos is not getting $80+ million guaranteed. Not with his poor defense. 

53 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Plus I'll be super upset when micker hits 45 Homer's this year with arm velocity of 105 from the outfield and we have no where to put him!

No where to put him in 2021, either.  Plus, if Vaughn is ready in 2021, Abreu will be DH.  No room then for St. Nick.

Edited by oldsox

8 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Castellanos is not getting $80+ million guaranteed. Not with his poor defense. 

Do we want to do that when we are allegedly negotiatiang a 80+ million dollar contract on a player yet to play in the bigs?

I am referring to Robert and a possible extension. Not the dollars Castellenos is going to get

Just now, Dick Allen said:

EE put up a higher fWAR than NC in 2019 despite playing 45 fewer games.

Much rather ink EE to a one year deal for $8-10 million than screw with a multi year agreement for Castellanos around $14-16 million. 

Castellanos is a poor defensive outfielder, and more suited to being a solid DH. I'm not crazy about paying him to be our DH medium to long term.

2 minutes ago, centerfieldsixers said:

Do we want to do that when we are allegedly negotiatiang a 80+ million dollar contract on a player yet to play in the bigs?

I am referring to Robert and a possible extension. Not the dollars Castellenos is going to get

If Robert signs something like that, there's a pretty good chance most of his money will be paid out after 4 or 5 seasons.

1 minute ago, Soxnfins said:

4/68, opt out after 3... that’s my guess

Sox should not be giving him that kind of money. I think he ends up getting quite a bit less than that, either in terms of years or dollars. 

Yes, he is still relatively young and in his prime, but I question whether his bat is really good enough to justify that kind of expenditure. You are talking about a bat only player who is a defensive liability and may be limited to DH. Those guys do not command big years or money in FA. 

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Sox will never have a problem having too many good players. If somehow we luck out and run out of room for some, some team will take the excess off Hahns hands in return for players who play positions of need 

This. Get the player now, worry about the excess later. Pitching is always needed down the line even with our potential 7 man rotation issue at the end of this upcoming season. If you have a surplus of something worry about that down the line.

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

EE put up a higher fWAR than NC in 2019 despite playing 45 fewer games.

Castellanos also put up a 2.0 fWAR in only 51 games once he left Comerica. 

I understand that’s a small sample size and he’s unlikely to keep that pace...he got really hot with the Cubs. But he’s also only 27 years old and has been improving his power the past few years. I could definitely see him as a 4 or 5 win player in RF for the Sox next year. 

I’d be happy with him or EE, to be honest, but I’ve been pushing for Castellanos all offseason. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Wouldnt give him 60 million.

I'd give the guy 1 year 22ish million with a chance to prove his bat has grown before hitting market again... betting on himself pretty much 

I agree with this . Unfortunately you and I know he probably wouldn't take a one year deal.  Even if so wouldn't you rather have EE if that was the case? Money saved with EE can get you a better bullpen pickup.

25 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If Robert signs something like that, there's a pretty good chance most of his money will be paid out after 4 or 5 seasons.

Yep, they have to space it out because of the big contracts right now. 

Hypothetical 8/85.

2020: 2.5m

2021: 3.5m

2022: 8m

2023: 11m

2024: 13m

2025: 13m

2026: 15m

2027: 19m