Castellanos to Reds , rumored 4/64M

Bad Hombre

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m sorry, but you’ve gone off the rails with this post.  Outside of Keuchel, none of our additions could even be argued as “backs-against-the-wall, win now” moves.  Grandal is one of top two or three catchers in baseball and solved numerous needs for us.  He was a tremendous addition even if you want to argue we’re still a year away.  Gonzalez provides cheap SP depth that this team desperately needed if you followed the team at all last and does so for $6M.  A guy like Mazara is the exact oppose of a “win now” move.  And buying a 2 to 3 win DH for 1/$10M is the definition of efficiency.

So basically you are upset that Sox spent $55M guaranteed on a low ceiling starter in Keuchel when elite guys were available and have now decided to go on this bizarre tangent where you claim everything we’ve done has railroaded our rebuild.  Trying to argue blocking Collins is somehow this egregious offense is funny to me.  I actually like Collins as a prospect, but he not a guy who should just be handed a job, especially with Vaughn right around the corner.  Smart organizations would use him as a versatile bench piece or as minor league depth if they have any realistic chance of competing.  The Yankees did not hesitate bumping a much higher regarded prospect in Frazier down to AAA to add the same 2 to 3 win DH we’re looking at now.

I’m sure you’re response will be we’re not ready to compete and that’s fine if you want to make that argument.  But the front office believes the clock is starting to tick with Moncada & Giolito only left with four years of control and wants to have a roster in place that can win the worst division in baseball if our young guys take big enough steps forward in their development next year.  The Twins executed this such plan to perfection last year without any elite free agents and there is reason to believe we can do the same.  If you’re going to be critical of our individual moves, at least do so under this lens.  Just don’t argue they’ve pushed all their chips in and that they’re all win at all costs moves.

Very well said, and hard to refute. For those concerned about our best young prospects, consider that, in 2021, Vaughn could very well be the first baseman, Collins could be Grandal's back up catcher and one of Adolfo or Basabe could be sharing time in RF, with Mazara. Moreover, Mazara is only controllable for 2 years, and therefore may not even be in the mix, going forward. I'm hoping that he becomes a beast, but then the front office will be faced with the dilemma of whether, or not to sign him as a free agent. Bringing in E. E., for one year, seems like a very prudent move, at this juncture. If we're lucky, Vaughn, Adolfo, or Basabe and Collins all become part of the core, and afford the front office the financial flexibility to extend Giolito, Moncada, Robert and anyone else, whom they're concerned about ultimately losing to free agency, in their prime.

It's interesting to note how some people seem to have no respect for the job that Hahn and the front office are doing. For my part, I'm quite satisfied with the overall rebuild, and am grateful that some of those, who consider Hahn an "idiot," are not running the front office. Perhaps we should try to better understand the rational behind these moves, before rejecting them, as "cheap, idiotic or desperate". 

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I just think there are too many question marks to lock into NC. EE on the other hand gives you a year, then you see what you have in your prize losing 100 games in Vaughn, and although doubtful,  maybe go after someone like Betts. It looks like most of the big boys won’t be looking for $250 million OFs next year.

I'm not even sure if it's the big name OF next year.  Maybe this year we find out Mazara is a breakout.  Maybe one of our minor league OF gets rolling.  It gives us flexibility to throw that bigger money at EITHER an OF or another SP if all of this "maybe" pitching doesn't work out because tat could happen.  To me, it seems as though pitching seems to win most years, so keeping money available for that is always good.  

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m sorry, but you’ve gone off the rails with this post.  Outside of Keuchel, none of our additions could even be argued as “backs-against-the-wall, win now” moves.  Grandal is one of top two or three catchers in baseball and solved numerous needs for us.  He was a tremendous addition even if you want to argue we’re still a year away.  Gonzalez provides cheap SP depth that this team desperately needed if you followed the team at all last and does so for $6M.  A guy like Mazara is the exact oppose of a “win now” move.  And buying a 2 to 3 win DH for 1/$10M is the definition of efficiency.

So basically you are upset that Sox spent $55M guaranteed on a low ceiling starter in Keuchel when elite guys were available and have now decided to go on this bizarre tangent where you claim everything we’ve done has railroaded our rebuild.  Trying to argue blocking Collins is somehow this egregious offense is funny to me.  I actually like Collins as a prospect, but he not a guy who should just be handed a job, especially with Vaughn right around the corner.  Smart organizations would use him as a versatile bench piece or as minor league depth if they have any realistic chance of competing.  The Yankees did not hesitate bumping a much higher regarded prospect in Frazier down to AAA to add the same 2 to 3 win DH we’re looking at now.

I’m sure you’re response will be we’re not ready to compete and that’s fine if you want to make that argument.  But the front office believes the clock is starting to tick with Moncada & Giolito only left with four years of control and wants to have a roster in place that can win the worst division in baseball if our young guys take big enough steps forward in their development next year.  The Twins executed this such plan to perfection last year without any elite free agents and there is reason to believe we can do the same.  If you’re going to be critical of our individual moves, at least do so under this lens.  Just don’t argue they’ve pushed all their chips in and that they’re all win at all costs moves.

Great post.

I think there’s folks around here who have never seen a winning team and are struggling with recognizing the construction of one. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Terribly dumb post, but what else would you expect from this poster

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

Excuse me, but what exactly is "dumb" about this post? I'm sorry, I must be missing something. Perhaps you were being just being sarcastic.

I assume he is referring the the post that CWS was replying to.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

2 hours ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Am I the only one that could see Castellanos signing a 1-year "bet on yourself" deal, with the hopes of getting a monster contract in 2021?

No, I don’t think this would make any sense for him coming off of an .863 OPS season and looking like a house of fire for the Cubs once he was traded to a contender.  He already proved whatever you are expecting from him.  He’s not going to pass on $60+ million guaranteed this offseason, risk injury, and hope he does better next year.  He is 27 years old, in his prime, and this is his best chance at a big fat long-term contract considering his age and performance last season.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I'm referring to Keuchel, yes, and the potential of signing Castellanos as "back-against the wall, win now" moves, but not the others. I've said in previous threads that the Grandal signing is fine if "it doesn't stop them from spending on high-end pitching also" and I actually argued somewhere that Mazara was a "rebuilding move." I have been critical of most of the moves made this offseason in one way or another, so I can see why you would do it, but you're mis-attributing what I said to other subjects here.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lillian said:

It's interesting to note how some people seem to have no respect for the job that Hahn and the front office are doing. For my part, I'm quite satisfied with the overall rebuild, and am grateful that some of those, who consider Hahn an "idiot," are not running the front office. Perhaps we should try to better understand the rational behind these moves, before rejecting them, as "cheap, idiotic or desperate". 

We've both been posting here for a long time -- do you really think I'm not putting in the time to try to understand the rationale of these moves?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lillian said:

Excuse me, but what exactly is "dumb" about this post? I'm sorry, I must be missing something. Perhaps you were being just being sarcastic.

6 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I assume he is referring the the post that CWS was replying to.

I'm not sure who he is responding too. I figured it like Lilian did since he was quoting CWS. But remember 90% of Goober's posts have been him calling Eloy   Sheloy so he's a bit of a troll and whoever he was talking too must've called him out at some point  and he's holding a grudge.

7 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

I'm referring to Keuchel, yes, and the potential of signing Castellanos as "back-against the wall, win now" moves, but not the others. I've said in previous threads that the Grandal signing is fine if "it doesn't stop them from spending on high-end pitching also" and I actually argued somewhere that Mazara was a "rebuilding move." I have been critical of most of the moves made this offseason in one way or another, so I can see why you would do it, but you're mis-attributing what I said to other subjects here.

The problem is that Bauer, Stroman, Ray and Paxton are the four biggest names next year.   That’s not exactly a murderer’s row of high-end pitching, although all of them have demonstrated flashes of greatness in recent years, Bauer in particular.  That said, everyone in baseball is aware of his eccentric, to put it nicely, personality.  On the plus side, if Francona can’t handle you...it depresses your asking price considerably.   But all of these guys are just as risky, if not more so, than Zack Wheeler.

32 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The problem is that Bauer, Stroman, Ray and Paxton are the four biggest names next year.   That’s not exactly a murderer’s row of high-end pitching, although all of them have demonstrated flashes of greatness in recent years, Bauer in particular.  That said, everyone in baseball is aware of his eccentric, to put it nicely, personality.  On the plus side, if Francona can’t handle you...it depresses your asking price considerably.   But all of these guys are just as risky, if not more so, than Zack Wheeler.

Agreed. Wheeler was the dude.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I tried months ago but couldn’t figure out how to use Fangraphs tools to do so

its really easy to do with statcast. filling out the form can be complicated but allows for thorough results

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/statcast_search?hfPT=&hfAB=&hfBBT=fly\.\.ball|&hfPR=&hfZ=&stadium=2394&hfBBL=&hfNewZones=&hfGT=R|&hfC=&hfSea=2019|&hfSit=&player_type=batter&hfOuts=&opponent=&pitcher_throws=&batter_stands=&hfSA=&game_date_gt=&game_date_lt=&hfInfield=&team=&position=&hfOutfield=&hfRO=&home_road=&batters_lookup[]=592206&hfFlag=&hfPull=&metric_1=&hfInn=&min_pitches=0&min_results=0&group_by=name&sort_col=pitches&player_event_sort=h_launch_speed&sort_order=desc&min_pas=0#results_sprayChart_name_592206_

just switch venue to white sox. looks like at least 7 more home runs if he played here vs comerica 

Edited by scotty22hotty
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, Goober said:

Terribly dumb post, but what else would you expect from this poster

My lizard brain version is I am ready to root for 2020 and I should not have to be thinking about 2021 right now. Just like it's not my problem to worry about who gets paid how much. We are in one of the worst divisions ever and it's time to compete. We are overdue for some luck and success. Luck results when preparation meets opportunity. 

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://theathletic.com/1485331/2019/12/24/what-were-dallas-keuchel-and-james-mccann-like-as-battery-mates-at-arkansas/?source=dailyemail
McCain and Keuchel were batterymates at Arkansas, so he’s likely not getting traded...certainly not in the first half of the season

Do you really think players playing together in college dictates MLB transactions?