Castellanos to Reds , rumored 4/64M

Bad Hombre

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They are really trying to create as short of a window as possible with some of these moves.

Yeah, I don't get it at all. Why sign Castellanos to move Senzel? Senzel was one of your high variance/high upside pieces that could push your projected win total north of what it is. 

Replacing Senzel with Castellanos/Moustakas seems like a really poor strategy; doing it to get Lindor for 2 years makes it even worse.

They should be keeping Senzel unless their internal valuations of him are lower after what they just saw.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I don't get it at all. Why sign Castellanos to move Senzel? Senzel was one of your high variance/high upside pieces that could push your projected win total north of what it is. 

Replacing Senzel with Castellanos/Moustakas seems like a really poor strategy; doing it to get Lindor for 2 years makes it even worse.

They should be keeping Senzel unless their internal valuations of him are lower after what they just saw.

I was thinking that maybe they planned on moving Castellanos to 1B to replace Votto but I just checked his contract and he’s locked up through 2023.  Yuck.

I know he was a top 10 prospect and would love to have him.  But Vaughn is a stud and could just as easily put up .312 BA and .895 OPS minor league stats.  I think he will be even better.  I would give up some of the pitching prospects before Vaughn if they wanted them.  But as said they are in win now mode-  maybe dangle Lopez plus some prospects with the hope we can replace Lopez with Kopech or Dunning?  

This trading Vaughn talk by some people here is fucking ridiculous. Why would we want to trade a guy who some experts think is one of the best college hitters they have ever seen. Insane talk imo. I wouldn't trade Vaughn for Senzel straight up. He is our first baseman of the future and we should be excited about that as Sox fans.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, SoxSteve said:

This trading Vaughn talk by some people here is fucking ridiculous. Why would we want to trade a guy who some experts think is one of the best college hitters they have ever seen. Insane talk imo. I wouldn't trade Vaughn for Senzel straight up. He is our first baseman of the future and we should be excited about that as Sox fans.  

I'm definitely not in the boat of people ready to ship off Vaughn,  but I also remember that Gordon Beckham was the greatest college hitter "they" have ever seen, so I have to keep that in mind.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I'm definitely not in the boat of people ready to ship off Vaughn,  but I also remember that Gordon Beckham was the greatest college hitter "they" have ever seen, so I have to keep that in mind.

Who ever said Gordon Beckham was the greatest college hitter they saw? Gordon had a nice junior year, but he wasn't a better college hitter than Buster who was drafted the same year (he wasn't even close) and he wasn't better than Pedro Alvarez that year either. I don't think anyone ever said he was the best college hitter; let alone the best they saw.

Vaughn has been in the argument for top 10ish ever.

Beckham's junior was amazing, 1323 OPS and he hit 411. Buster had a 1445 ops and hit 463!

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Who ever said Gordon Beckham was the greatest college hitter they saw? Gordon had a nice junior year, but he wasn't a better college hitter than Buster who was drafted the same year (he wasn't even close) and he wasn't better than Pedro Alvarez that year either. I don't think anyone ever said he was the best college hitter; let alone the best they saw.

Vaughn has been in the argument for top 10ish ever.

Beckham's junior was amazing, 1323 OPS and he hit 411. Buster had a 1445 ops and hit 463!

Coming out of college he had all the hype.   The point I'm making is these guys can and do fail and never reach the potential we think they will.

again, I do not want to trade Vaughn.  Just saying that we can't count on him being the best hitter we have ever seen, only hope for it

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

Coming out of college he had all the hype.   

He was a nice player, but he wasn't a generational bat in college by any means. Vaughn was a generational bat; his sophomore year was better than Beckham's best year despite playing with the new bats and suppressed offense. 

I just think his value is limited as a 1B only, and expected to be average at best defensively there.  Also, while he was hyped as being a great hitter overall, he wasn’t talked about as having massive power.

I don’t want to deal him but I definitely think Hahn should be willing to for the right player.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Coming out of college he had all the hype.   The point I'm making is these guys can and do fail and never reach the potential we think they will.

again, I do not want to trade Vaughn.  Just saying that we can't count on him being the best hitter we have ever seen, only hope for it

I agree hype doesn't always transpire into results, but I just don't think these guys are comparable. Beckham played up the middle and was drafted 8th; Vaughn plays a position that is never drafted that high, but he was an exception to that rule because he is so amazing.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I agree hype doesn't always transpire into results, but I just don't think these guys are comparable. Beckham played up the middle and was drafted 8th; Vaughn plays a position that is never drafted that high, but he was an exception to that rule because he is so amazing.

Ok, I'm not trying to argue.  My point went past the target my bad

you are very right they are not the same player and I'm sorry that I said that they were the exact same

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

What a win-win for Castellanos. If he sucks he still gets his 64 million. If he hits like he did with the Cubs he's due for a bigger pay day. 

Boras is da man.  Marcell Ozuna’s deal looks like crap in comparison.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, chw42 said:

What a win-win for Castellanos. If he sucks he still gets his 64 million. If he hits like he did with the Cubs he's due for a bigger pay day. 

Boras got his client a pretty outstanding deal thats for sure.

Edited by SouthWallace
  • Like 1

Good for Nick. Good for Cincinnati as a town and fan base, and good for the Reds. It's an overpay - but whatever. And as much as trading Senzel might be a tough move ... if you get a Lindor back you could have a real fun 2 years ahead. That rotation is pretty damn solid up and down. Castillo, Gray, Bauer, Miley, Desclafini, Mahle. If you add a Lindor you have Suarez, Lindor, Moose, Votto, Castellanos, the CF from Japan? and Winker. They also have that Aquanios (don't remember his name off the top of my head and not looking it up ... you know who I'm talking about though) and in that situation you can just take your excess OF and shift them around - Castellanos to 1B, votto rest. Moose to 3B, Suarez rest, etc. 

I for one am cheering for the Reds this year in the NL. 

28 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I just think his value is limited as a 1B only, and expected to be average at best defensively there.  Also, while he was hyped as being a great hitter overall, he wasn’t talked about as having massive power.

I don’t want to deal him but I definitely think Hahn should be willing to for the right player.

That player is not Nick Senzel.

• Thanks 1