Castellanos to Reds , rumored 4/64M

Bad Hombre

5 hours ago, fathom said:

Still have to think he’s waiting on the Cubs to possibly open up payroll space.

This still doesn’t make sense to me.  We are still waiting on the Bryant grievance decision and they would still have to work a trade for to free up money.  And adding Castellanos will just add that money back.

12 hours ago, MeanJoeCrede said:

No chance he does this. He would then enter free agency next year with a qualifying offer attached. Ain't happenin'!

That certainly would suck for him. But if he has nothing good to take right now.....

I gave up on the Sox signing Castellanos weeks ago, when the Sox signed EE. Or allegedly signed EE, since it still isn't official. But if they somehow managed to get Castellanos on a one year deal, that would be great. It does feel like an extreme long-shot, so I'm not getting any hopes up.

I'd be interested to see if his defensive improvements continued, which might happen given his trend and that he's only played RF for 2 seasons.

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Don’t know what to think of this guy but here is something regarding castellanos 

Not buying this dude. The only way Castellanos comes here is on a mega two year deal. No way he takes a one year deal and then gets QO. The CBA ends after 2021, so he can hope that goes away and that current FAs would be exempt from previous rule. 

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Not buying this dude. The only way Castellanos comes here is on a mega two year deal. No way he takes a one year deal and then gets QO. The CBA ends after 2021, so he can hope that goes away and that current FAs would be exempt from previous rule. 

Agreed.  I want to believe it but it just isn’t likely.

5 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

I mean I'd imagine if he took a 1 year deal it would be with the understanding the club wouldn't use a qualifying offer on him after the season, but who knows I'm still game for Puig/Castellanos signing if the money makes sense

If something like 1/$20 is possible at this point, I'd roll the dice.  Otherwise hard pass. 

1 minute ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I'd rather throw money at Betts next offseason

This.  And as long of a shot as it may be, there is the potential that RF will be the only position we need to address next offseason, and Betts would be the finishing piece.  A little easier to drop $350M on one guy when you don't have a shit load of other holes to fill.  

In the meantime, we still have the chance for Mazara to have his best MLB season to date, or Adolfo to stay healthy and explode.  

Definitely don't want to commit to NC longer than a year as that is committing to essentially punting team defense which is stupid.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

If something like 1/$20 is possible at this point, I'd roll the dice.  Otherwise hard pass. 

This.  And as long of a shot as it may be, there is the potential that RF will be the only position we need to address next offseason, and Betts would be the finishing piece.  A little easier to drop $350M on one guy when you don't have a shit load of other holes to fill.  

In the meantime, we still have the chance for Mazara to have his best MLB season to date, or Adolfo to stay healthy and explode.  

Definitely don't want to commit to NC longer than a year as that is committing to essentially punting team defense which is stupid.  

I think many teams around the league feel the same way. They would happily roll the dice on Castellanos for one season, but totally do not want to commit to such a poor defensive outfielder long term. 

How much do teams buy in to his outstanding two month stretch with the Cubs vs. the player he has been before? A one year deal might make sense for him because a good season would likely help him get a multi year deal next offseason, especially if he shows improved defense.

As of right now I do not see him landing with the Sox

28 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I think many teams around the league feel the same way. They would happily roll the dice on Castellanos for one season, but totally do not want to commit to such a poor defensive outfielder long term. 

How much do teams buy in to his outstanding two month stretch with the Cubs vs. the player he has been before? A one year deal might make sense for him because a good season would likely help him get a multi year deal next offseason, especially if he shows improved defense.

As of right now I do not see him landing with the Sox

If he isn't getting 15 million a year offers right now he needs to take a one year deal.. Though if he has a Tigers-esque year next year, then he won't be a 15 million a year player.

3 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

If he isn't getting 15 million a year offers right now he needs to take a one year deal.. Though if he has a Tigers-esque year next year, then he won't be a 15 million a year player.

If he takes a 1 year deal he leaves himself exposed to the qualifying offer next year, so not as easily done.

Longer this goes on the more leverage Sox will have.  No rush he's a guy you only get at your price at this point in the offseason.   @BrianAnderson 's 2 year 38 million sounds alright, although I might balk at going out to 3 for a guy that is really just a DH.  Jose hopefully transitions to at least 50% of his starts at DH in 2021-22.

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If he takes a 1 year deal he leaves himself exposed to the qualifying offer next year, so not as easily done.

5 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Longer this goes on the more leverage Sox will have.  No rush he's a guy you only get at your price at this point in the offseason.   @BrianAnderson 's 2 year 38 million sounds alright, although I might balk at going out to 3 for a guy that is really just a DH.  Jose hopefully transitions to at least 50% of his starts at DH in 2021-22.

If he is scared of the QO next year, why would he take a two year deal at an AAV basically equal to what the QO would be next year? At worst*, he could take a one year deal with a higher AAV and then accept a QO in the offseason. 

*worst other than a season so bad that he wouldn't even get a QO, but he has all sorts of other problems if that ends up the case.

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I would go hard at Castellanos now.  His price has definitely dropped.  Not as low as Ozuna’s but if the Sox can improve on Mazara in RF, Nomar can take a back seat.

Puig isn’t getting anything now.

Rangers or Cubs is my guess, with Cards, WSox and Giants on the periphery 

27 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Ozuna just took a 1 year deal I wonder if Castellanos will do the same. 

Ozuna had a 2nd round compensatory pick attached to him.  Castellanos doesn’t.  So Castellanos will likely get more years, but his price definitely appears like it will be far less than what was originally thought going into the offseason.

Puig will be lucky to get more money from an MLB team than he could get playing in Japan.

I honestly have no idea why people think the league sentiment is that Castellanos is better than Ozuna.

Ozuna has been twice as valuable thus far in his career, and while hes 2 years older which evens it out, by no means is Castellanos easily better. Ozuna actually probably had more of an NL market too because he can defend.

Castellanos will be lucky to draw 2/40 after how the league just valued ozuna.

• Like 2